I need some help Micro Center(Keyboards)

Options
Hello,
I want to know what keyboard I should get to get a fast WPM? I am so tired of typing slow and could really use some advice. 
Thanks! 

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    Options
    Hello!

I am a big fan of linear switches, just being able to press down with little resistance can definitely help.  Speed switches are pretty good though I don't think they really apply to faster WPM.  I do think just picking linear switches like reds or speeds are a pretty good choice. 

Lastly, proper finger positioning and touch typing can definitely increase those WPMs!  
    I found this video to be pretty informative though not too big on the person in it; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Qc_dzQTJ4.  

Lastly, just typing a lot helps.  Hit up some typing games like TypeRacer, Typing of the Dead or other typing based games, or use messaging programs/games like Discord.  I learned typing from playing Runescape years ago.  

• Err0h
    Err0h ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Options
    TypeRacer is definitely one of my go-to typing games.  

Linears are nice.  I also like Tactile switches that allow me to know I'm actually getting some feedback when pressing a key.  I have a G915 TKL with Tactile switches.  It's wireless but also on the very expensive side :[   If you want something ergonomic as well, I know a few people who use the Microsoft Sculpts.  Very ergonomic and easy to type on.  But in general, practicing on games like Typeracer should help you get faster WPM on any qwerty keyboard.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2020
    Options
    mingkui12 said:
    Hello,
    I want to know what keyboard I should get to get a fast WPM? I am so tired of typing slow and could really use some advice. 
    Thanks! 
    Welcome to the forum, @mingkui12. This is always an interesting topic largely because it's rooted in personal preference due to the subjective nature of how things feel to ourselves. With that being said, we have a thread where our community shared their favorite keyboards: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2551/hey-gamers-whats-your-go-to-keyboard. We also have a review from our very own @AlexShttps://community.microcenter.com/discussion/3671/affordable-mechanical-gaming-keyboards-inlands-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-lineup-2020.

My personal advice would be to visit any of our local Micro Center stores and try some of the keyboards on display. Get a general feel for how each switch responds to your key strokes, then determine which will best suite your needs. If you are focusing strictly on typing and not gaming, I am partial to Cherry's brown switch as well as Logitech's Romer G linear & tactile switches. 

I typically average around 120WPM with my peak being 136WPM on my current keyboard (Logitech G915 TKL Tactile) and I credit my typing speed to a few different factors.

First and foremost, I've been using a PC for nearly 20 years now. Nothing can beat the experience that comes with time. Secondly, I've made it a habit to practice warming up before long typing sessions using various typing tests (10fastfingers, Bing Typing Test, etc). No matter how long you've been doing anything, you'll never be as good as you are when warmed up and ready. Lastly, I've learned to prioritize accuracy over speed. Speed comes naturally as muscle memory kicks in and you can understand where to position your hands and which fingers are better suited to reach specific keys with the least amount of effort.

The most important aspect of typing is making sure that what you are hitting is what you are intending to hit as you'll tend to waste far more time slowing down to correct a mistake rather than go a little slower getting it right the first time. When you master typing accurately without having to look at the keyboard or constantly reposition your hands, you'll find that your speed will dramatically improve with little to no conscious thought involved in regards to placement/which fingers to use.

Hopefully this is helpful. If you are still looking for recommendations, I'd advise asking for a recommendation in the first thread above to see if one of our keyboard enthusiasts can help narrow down what will work best for you based on size, switch actuation and budget. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Err0h
    Err0h ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Options
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.