Configuring the Dual Fight Stick and Trackball

Options
2»

Comments

• Aloysius
    Options

Another guy who is new to RetroArcade, Rasperry Pi, RetroPie, etc. I have hosed the fightstick stuff six ways from Sunday and would just like to get back to a default configuration of the fightsticks. Where do I start???

• TSTDavey
    Options

Hello @Aloysius and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. What emulator or emulation program are you using?

• TSTDavey
    Options

@Aloysius also try these steps below in settings for default settings. Retropie should have RetroArch as an emulator.

RetroArch Steps.

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/comment/13420

• Aloysius
    Options

TSTDavey, it is the standard Atari setup that comes with the fightstick/trackball/RasberryPi 3b+ package that I just got from MicroCenter. I will try some of this tonight when I get home...

• Tpeezy
    Options
    I updated my Raspberry Pi (for some reason I did) and the controllers will not work in most menus.  I can only select a game in "All Games."  I can play that game, but when I exit the game, I cannot select another game to play or exit the menu.  The fight sticks won't work, neither will the buttons.  I have to power off the unit and go back to the "All Games" menu.  The fight sticks and buttons will let me select and play one game only in that All Games menu.  I can't select a game under the other menus (Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 or Arcade menu.)  I have reconfigured the controls, but it does not seem to help.  
  • JABLES
    Options
    I purchased the dual fight stick+trackball from Microcenter the other day (I love the build quality so far!) and installed a Rpi4 8gb with a custom Retropie image. Thank you to this thread and everyone involved for help in getting both p1/p2 controls working, but I am pulling my hair out trying to get the trackball working in Mame. I have tried everything recommended. The trackball shows up and works in terminal, retroarch and Kodi, but it will not work in game at all (centipede, golden tee, etc).
    If anyone has any insight, it is very much appreciated! 
  • NickBiederman
    Options

@JABLES

You may need to change the mouse index in RetroArch's settings. Launch the RetroArch GUI, then go to "Port 1 binds" under "Input". That's where you'll find the mouse index. You may need to try a few values before it gets working, but in my experience 0, 1, or 2 usually works.

• sjackson
    sjackson
    First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Options

I have the same issue as JABLES. Rpi4 8GB, and have already tried changing the retroarch port binds->mouse index to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4... 10 (just to be sure) in global config and for mame2003 specific config. Trackball works as a mouse on raspbian desktop, but cannot get it to work on Cabal, Centipede, Missle Command mame games. Getting frustrated with it and considering returning for another competitive model, but would prefer to resolve this.

• sjackson
    sjackson
    First Comment
    edited April 2021
    Options

A quick follow-up to my prior post. It started working and I am not exactly sure why, but I think it had something to do with changing my configuration to boot directly into Emulationstation. Prior, it was booting to my raspbian desktop. I'll do some testing and report back.

• sjackson
    Options

Confirmed. Trackball stops working if you boot into emulationstation from terminal on raspbian desktop. If you change configuration to launch emulationstation on boot, the trackball works.

• Slacker55
    Options

sjackson - can you explain how you change the configuration to launch emulationstation on boot? I am also having problems getting the trackball recognized. Thanks.

• Caradepau
    Options
    Hello all,
    I'm seeking a wiring diagram for the Atari dual stick trackball box (with the pi3 already installed if possible). I guess it's called an XM-10.
    I bought that dual stick box without the pi3 already installed, but I bought the Atari retro gaming kit (it has the pi3B+ with the 32gb Atari boot SD card). Yay.

I did find a GPIO diagram for a pi3B+ and a six button joystick connect example..yay again.

But, when I opened the XM-10 box...hmm.
    I see a tiny circuit board with 2 quick connectors with wiring harnesses connected to each.

Is there a wiring drawing for the XM-10?

What is that tiny circuit board with the wiring harnesses connected to it? 
    If that tiny board fails, can it be purchased? And from ..?

Butidn't wanna cut the nice wiring loops to then have to trace the wiring to each switch, etc..but..sigh.. perhaps drag out an ohm meter I guess..

Too bad the XM 10 box didn't have provisions to mount the pi3 or pi4 within it (standoffs) to the bottom of that big open cabinet. 

Nice looking box though, heavy too. On sale at MS for $109.99, the Atari retro kit sale at $69.99 too this week.

Can I run the pi3B+ without a heatsink fan?
    I've read they can get kind of hot.

Any help, thanks in advance!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99