How to Update Your Video Card Drivers

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
TSPhillipT
TSPhillipT admin
5 Likes First Anniversary Photogenic First Comment
edited June 2021 in Software

Greetings everyone!  For our second Tuesday Tech Tip of the Week, we’re going to tell you when and how to update drivers for your video card!  We’re going to post a Tech Tip of the Week every Tuesday and if there’s something you may want to see in a future tech tip, please be sure to let us know in the comments below!

What are Video Card Drivers?

In a very broad explanation, a driver is what allows your operating system to communicate and interact with hardware.  A video card driver is the driver that will let your card communicate with the operating system of your computer.  Updating your driver is a very important step and is one of the first things recommended to do when you get a new computer.

When should I update my Video Card Drivers?

There are a few situations when you should update your drivers for your video card.  

These include;

• When you get a new computer or a new video card
  • When a popular game comes out or you purchase a new popular game
  • When you are experiencing software issues or low frame rates related to gaming or display

Driver updates after getting a new video card or computer can be very important as some of the driver updates could be important improvements that were released while the video card or computer were sitting on the shelf.  

Updating your drivers can make playing games more smooth and increase frame rates as well.  It’s common to have a new driver update when a very big/important game is released like Call of Duty to help the GPU be optimized when playing the game.  

Issues like crashing in games, black screening, flickering or even your computer failing to wake up could be attributed to issues with your video card drivers.  It’s possible that Windows Updates can cause issues in regards to your driver.  Updating the drivers is the recommended first step in troubleshooting issues like these.  

Quick Links

How do I Find What Kind of Video Card I have? 
Nvidia: How to Update Drivers
AMD: How to Update Drivers
Intel Integrated Graphics Card: How to Update Drivers
Troubleshooting Your Graphic Card Drivers

Other keywords: double clicking, install the drivers, game ready driver, drivers for your graphics card, radeon settings, automatically check for updates, nvidia control panel, how to update graphic card drivers, how to update nvidia drivers, how to update amd drivers

Comments

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

How do I Find What Kind of Video Card I have?  

Updating your video cards drivers depends on which kind of video card you have.  If you do not know what kind of video card you have, I have provided a guide on how to do that below.

1.) Type Device Manager in the search box in the bottom left, Click Device Manager

2.) Click on the arrow left of Display Adapters

3.) A sub menu will drop down showing you your video card, in my example, I have an Nvidia GeForce GT 640

Note:  Your computer may come with two Display Adapters, usually one Intel and one of either AMD or Nvidia, I recommend updating both. 

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Nvidia: How to Update Drivers;

You will need to download Nvidia GeForce Experience.  Once downloaded, sign in and go through the prompts, you should see an option to download and install Nvidia graphics drivers. 

Here is an in-depth article on how to update your Nvidia Graphics Card: How to Update Nvidia Video Card Drivers

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

AMD: How to Update Drivers;

You will need to download AMD Adrenalin.  Once downloaded, go through the prompts and you should see an option download and install the AMD drivers.

Here is an in-depth article on how to update your AMD Graphics Card: Adrenalin 2020 FAQ 

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Intel Integrated GPU: How to Update Drivers;

You will want to open up Device Manager, go to Display Drivers, Right click the GPU and click Update Driver.  Similar to the steps on how to find what kind of video card you have.  

Here is an in-depth article on how to update your Intel Integrated Graphics Card: Update drivers in Windows 10

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Troubleshooting Video Card Drivers

Since these drivers are very important for giving you display, they are also a good start for troubleshooting display or gaming issues.  One of the first steps you should try doing is uninstalling and reinstalling your video card drivers.  Here is a link to an article on how to uninstall and reinstall those drivers; How to roll back or clean install video card drivers in Windows 10.  

• TSPhillipT
    TSPhillipT admin
    edited July 2020
    Options

Conclusion

Video card drivers are a very important thing to keep updated and managed,  They control how the computer sends a signal of display to a your monitor and even control your gaming, and I am sure these are important to everyone that has a computer.  I hope this Tech Tip was very helpful and we will be releasing another one next Tuesday!  If you have any questions or suggestions for the next Tech Tips, please leave them as a response to this post!  See you then!   
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99