Microsoft Flight Simulator and Discord Audio Issue Fix (Purchased from Microsoft Store)

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.
AlexS
AlexS admin
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Likes Micro Center Staff
edited June 2021 in Gaming

Greetings pilots!  

If you’re reading this article, chances are you recently purchased the new Microsoft Flight Simulator and when talking to your friends in Discord, you can hardly hear them.  

New Information:  This is primarily with the version from the Microsoft Store as I have yet to hear reports from players or friends who have purchased it via Steam.

Why is that happening?

Well, after experiencing the issue myself, I was actually not even trying to fix the problem at the time.  It seems Microsoft Flight Simulator with the Xbox Game App lowers the volume of other games and programs by default via Windows Audio Mixer.  Perhaps they want you to get the full effect of the glorious audio but who knows! 

Anyways, I ended up stumbling into discovering the issue when trying to add a friend via the Xbox game overlay (Windows+G).    

I noticed the Audio Mixer had Discord at around 10%.  With a propeller or jet engine blaring through your headset or speakers, chances you will hear your wingman will probably be… zero.

So, how do you fix it?

If you are in the audio mixer in the Xbox game overlay, simply turn the volume on Discord back to full and you can hear your friends’ lovely voices again, who for the last couple minutes have been trying to tell you that your flaps were set to 15 degrees the entire time which is why you kept climbing from 10,000 feet to 20,000 feet after departing Los Angeles International Airport  in a matter of a few minutes, thus causing motion sickness to your virtual passengers and a mess to clean up once you landed in Meadows Field. 

The alternative way to fix it as well is to go to the Windows Audio Mixer in the lower right hand corner of your screen.  There you can see the same Audio Mixer in Xbox Game Overlay in a different UI.  

Turn up Discord back to full and you’ll again hear your friends’ lovely voices challenging you to take off from Sochi Airport in an A320NEO Airbus and then land at an airport… actually I wouldn’t even call it an airport.  I wouldn't even call it a landing strip.  This is just the flattest part of this mountain range that was designated “Pskhu” with a grass strip. 

Spoiler Alert - I didn’t make it.

Anyways, hopefully this small guide helps you resolve the discord audio mixer issues with Flight Simulator and you and your friends can take the skies together!  Oh and if you did the weekly challenge at Courchevel since 8/18/20, post your score :) I’d like to see what I have to beat!  My personal high score as of 12:11PM 8/20/20 is 634,433.

Also, if you haven’t checked out Micro Center Community’s Flight Sim Buyer’s Guide, check it out here!

See you in the skies!

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99