Will the GeForce RTX™ 3080 (After market and Founders Edition) be available on the release date?

Options
I am planning to order the founders edition online, but there a Micro Center near me and I am curious if the GeForce RTX™ 3080 (After market and Founders Edition) be available on the release date? and will I be available to schedule a pickup? 

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    We will have AIB cards, I believe we will have Founders Edition cards as well but I'm not 100% certain on that. Keep an eye on the website here and we'll have an update put out once we have more information. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    So you guys will have the GPU's at release day? 
  • floydian022
    Options
    MC confirmed an hour ago via their Twitter that there will be no FE cards available thru Microcenter: 

Still awaiting confirmation as to which(if any) AIB cards will be available.  The most definitive word we've heard about those thus far is from @TSTonyV, stating that there will be AIB cards.  Which implies some(but very likely not all brands/models), and that quantity/store distribution numbers about what's coming in are still largely unknown at the retail store level.  
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MC confirmed an hour ago via their Twitter that there will be no FE cards available thru Microcenter: 

Still awaiting confirmation as to which(if any) AIB cards will be available.  The most definitive word we've heard about those thus far is from @TSTonyV, stating that there will be AIB cards.  Which implies some(but very likely not all brands/models), and that quantity/store distribution numbers about what's coming in are still largely unknown at the retail store level.  
    Good callout on the tweet, I actually had not seen that yet. 

I'd say you're on the mark with some cards, but not all being available. We typically have a good variety but there will be models we don't have, just don't know which ones yet sadly. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    I wonder if the After Market Card will be release at the same day as the FE is release and if it will be available in MC. 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if the After Market Card will be release at the same day as the FE is release and if it will be available in MC. 
    That's what we mean by AIB cards. They'll be releasing the same day. 
  • floydian022
    Options
    @TSTonyV - I'm thinking timing is what's going to end up being the big dilemma here for some folks.  Reportedly, Best Buy/NVidia stores will start selling FEs online at 9am, Amazon/Newegg/etc. will also likely start selling AIBs at 9am(although I'll be frequently checking earlier than that just to be sure), and then MC stores don't open until 10am.  So, even if I were to camp at the store from 7am, what are the odds that there would even still be any FEs or decent(or any) AIBs available online if it turns out that my store has 50+ people sitting out front like me and only 30 or so AIB cards(and/or they're all MSI and Zotac cards or something) on hand?  I'd guess probably not great.  I'm sure there's at least someone  within MC who absolutely has to know how many and which cards are coming from each AIB partner and how many of each are getting allocated to which stores.  But unless the answers are "way more than enough" and "pretty much all of them"(and they're almost definitely not), I can also certainly think of at least a couple of reasons why it's probably not a great idea to let that information trickle too far down the chain too far in advance. 

That said, managing foot traffic at brick and mortars during a pandemic is already logistically challenging enough for retail employees.  I've been in a couple of times over the past 2-3 months, and my local store has done a fantastic job at handling volume and implementing the protocols to keep everyone safe, as I'm sure most others have as well.  But that's during "normal" volume levels.  I wasn't at MC for the 1000/2000 series releases(or any other big h/w releases), so I'm not sure how crazy it got then or how many people they're expecting this time.  But if there are actually anywhere close to 50 people waiting along with me out front of my local store(hopefully all following store protocol and remaining in their cars until opening and a greeter appears), well, it's going to be super obvious why they're all there.  If the stores become aware that morning or the evening prior that they're not likely to have enough supply for the expected rush, I sure hope that someone has been preemptively thinking of ways to institute some kind of safe/fair way of forming up lines or w/e and keeping it from just turning into a chaotic free-for-all situation at the front door where everyone ends up swarming the poor greeter at the same time - just to be first to get a spot in the queue to be called inside.  I won't be upset about going home empty-handed, as long as it's not because I was the only one who refused to contribute to putting others into an uncomfortable/dangerous situation. 

Other than the current "normal" protocols in place(and stated in the COVID FAQ), I haven't found any specific guidance from MC one way or the other as to whether we should be doing anything differently as far as arrival/check-in process at the stores at opening time on release day.  I'm not certain whether that indicates that they're really just not expecting that big of a rush or any Jingle All The Way scenarios at any of their stores, or that perhaps they just haven't really given it much advance thought within the context of maintaining social distancing and trying to tell 30-50 people not to all be in one part of the store at once(i.e. the aisle where the cards are) and crowding up to paw over the same couple of shelves.  Hopefully, we'll get some clarification prior to the 17th.
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    @TSTonyV - I'm thinking timing is what's going to end up being the big dilemma here for some folks.  Reportedly, Best Buy/NVidia stores will start selling FEs online at 9am, Amazon/Newegg/etc. will also likely start selling AIBs at 9am(although I'll be frequently checking earlier than that just to be sure), and then MC stores don't open until 10am.  So, even if I were to camp at the store from 7am, what are the odds that there would even still be any FEs or decent(or any) AIBs available online if it turns out that my store has 50+ people sitting out front like me and only 30 or so AIB cards(and/or they're all MSI and Zotac cards or something) on hand?  I'd guess probably not great.  I'm sure there's at least someone  within MC who absolutely has to know how many and which cards are coming from each AIB partner and how many of each are getting allocated to which stores.  But unless the answers are "way more than enough" and "pretty much all of them"(and they're almost definitely not), I can also certainly think of at least a couple of reasons why it's probably not a great idea to let that information trickle too far down the chain too far in advance. 

That said, managing foot traffic at brick and mortars during a pandemic is already logistically challenging enough for retail employees.  I've been in a couple of times over the past 2-3 months, and my local store has done a fantastic job at handling volume and implementing the protocols to keep everyone safe, as I'm sure most others have as well.  But that's during "normal" volume levels.  I wasn't at MC for the 1000/2000 series releases(or any other big h/w releases), so I'm not sure how crazy it got then or how many people they're expecting this time.  But if there are actually anywhere close to 50 people waiting along with me out front of my local store(hopefully all following store protocol and remaining in their cars until opening and a greeter appears), well, it's going to be super obvious why they're all there.  If the stores become aware that morning or the evening prior that they're not likely to have enough supply for the expected rush, I sure hope that someone has been preemptively thinking of ways to institute some kind of safe/fair way of forming up lines or w/e and keeping it from just turning into a chaotic free-for-all situation at the front door where everyone ends up swarming the poor greeter at the same time - just to be first to get a spot in the queue to be called inside.  I won't be upset about going home empty-handed, as long as it's not because I was the only one who refused to contribute to putting others into an uncomfortable/dangerous situation. 

Other than the current "normal" protocols in place(and stated in the COVID FAQ), I haven't found any specific guidance from MC one way or the other as to whether we should be doing anything differently as far as arrival/check-in process at the stores at opening time on release day.  I'm not certain whether that indicates that they're really just not expecting that big of a rush or any Jingle All The Way scenarios at any of their stores, or that perhaps they just haven't really given it much advance thought within the context of maintaining social distancing and trying to tell 30-50 people not to all be in one part of the store at once(i.e. the aisle where the cards are) and crowding up to paw over the same couple of shelves.  Hopefully, we'll get some clarification prior to the 17th.
    You could just schedule a pick up for it for you to be reserve than camping outside
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe the way it will be handled is that we'll have vouchers to be handed out to people who arrive early, so they can then wait in their cars rather than standing in line and come in order to claim the cards. I am not 100% certain on that but I think that's the way it's going to work. 
    ChrisAJSon said:
     You could just schedule a pick up for it for you to be reserve than camping outside
    Reservations will not be available initially for the cards. 

• ChrisAJSon
    Options
    What If I can't get there early, will you guys have enough stocks? Will you guys run out of the 3080s after 3:00pm? 
  • floydian022
    Options
    TSTonyV said:
    I believe the way it will be handled is that we'll have vouchers to be handed out to people who arrive early, so they can then wait in their cars rather than standing in line and come in order to claim the cards. I am not 100% certain on that but I think that's the way it's going to work.  

No, I totally get that.  But what's unclear is the procedure for how exactly MC expects the process of handing out of the vouchers to work.  If it's expected that we're to organize ourselves into a neatly-spaced line prior to 10am, no problem.  Just wish someone would tell us that.  It would at least be helpful to know whether:
     a.  a greeter/voucher person is going to be posted there, say, at 5am(in which case, just get out of car, go get voucher, get back in car and sit tight for 5h or so),
    b. we're to calmly organize ourselves into a 6'-spaced line and wait there(for up to 13h from the time you close on Wed. until the time you open on Thurs? can we bring lawn chairs?  should we be starting the line at the door? at least 10' back from the door?  should we extend into the parking lot? around the building? just improvise all of this as a group based on layout? exhausted campout shoppers aren't exactly an army corp of engineers), or
    c. we're supposed to just stay in our cars the whole time once we get in the parking lot(and trust that someone is actually there at 4-5am and watching to see whenever someone pulls in and figure out who got there first and will definitely come out with either a voucher or the bad news that they're already out of vouchers?).

If the expectation is b.(and I'd bet that it probably is), that's fine.  But I would at least attempt to get someone upstairs to confirm that and then state that clearly and prominently, so that we know what the rules are.  And, just to avoid potential confusion/civil disagreements over where "the line" is/starts, maybe advise store managers to put some sort of sign/indicator as to where we should begin forming the line at(and, if applicable/necessary for safety reasons, tape/rope/otherwise mark off or indicate towards which direction/path the line should form). 

There's one big common denominator here between the retail staff and the customers: We ALL want this process to be as stress-free as possible.  I'd say that pulling off events like this in the middle of a pandemic is probably a pretty unique kind of thing, with some potential to get messy.  I just hope that the C-level folks grasp that and actually have some semblance of a plan for you at the retail level, and that they aren't just lazily leaving store managers on their own w/zero guidance to completely wing it individually at each location.  Because, to me, being less than 6 days from release day and less than 100% certain about what the official game plan even is just seems sort of negligent - with potential outcomes ranging literally anywhere from sporadic minor altercations to ending up featured on CNN as the latest super-spreader event.  
  • Bigmurph
    Options
    The cincinatti store handled reopening very well. I assume they'll handle this just fine as well. When you arrived you checked in with people outside who put your name/number on an ipad. and they only allowed 10 people in at a time. when a person left the store, the next person in line got a text. that person would then walk up to the door and give their name and if they were on the manifest they got let in. 
  • Cbreezy1101
    Options
    What If I can't get there early, will you guys have enough stocks? Will you guys run out of the 3080s after 3:00pm? 
    There is almost a 0% chance that they will have stock after 3pm. If they have stock after 11am that day, people will be driving from out of state to come grab it. These cards are going to disappear fast.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TSTonyV said:

No, I totally get that.  But what's unclear is the procedure for how exactly MC expects the process of handing out of the vouchers to work.  If it's expected that we're to organize ourselves into a neatly-spaced line prior to 10am, no problem.  Just wish someone would tell us that.  It would at least be helpful to know whether:
     a.  a greeter/voucher person is going to be posted there, say, at 5am(in which case, just get out of car, go get voucher, get back in car and sit tight for 5h or so),
    b. we're to calmly organize ourselves into a 6'-spaced line and wait there(for up to 13h from the time you close on Wed. until the time you open on Thurs? can we bring lawn chairs?  should we be starting the line at the door? at least 10' back from the door?  should we extend into the parking lot? around the building? just improvise all of this as a group based on layout? exhausted campout shoppers aren't exactly an army corp of engineers), or
    c. we're supposed to just stay in our cars the whole time once we get in the parking lot(and trust that someone is actually there at 4-5am and watching to see whenever someone pulls in and figure out who got there first and will definitely come out with either a voucher or the bad news that they're already out of vouchers?).

If the expectation is b.(and I'd bet that it probably is), that's fine.  But I would at least attempt to get someone upstairs to confirm that and then state that clearly and prominently, so that we know what the rules are.  And, just to avoid potential confusion/civil disagreements over where "the line" is/starts, maybe advise store managers to put some sort of sign/indicator as to where we should begin forming the line at(and, if applicable/necessary for safety reasons, tape/rope/otherwise mark off or indicate towards which direction/path the line should form). 

There's one big common denominator here between the retail staff and the customers: We ALL want this process to be as stress-free as possible.  I'd say that pulling off events like this in the middle of a pandemic is probably a pretty unique kind of thing, with some potential to get messy.  I just hope that the C-level folks grasp that and actually have some semblance of a plan for you at the retail level, and that they aren't just lazily leaving store managers on their own w/zero guidance to completely wing it individually at each location.  Because, to me, being less than 6 days from release day and less than 100% certain about what the official game plan even is just seems sort of negligent - with potential outcomes ranging literally anywhere from sporadic minor altercations to ending up featured on CNN as the latest super-spreader event.  
    Currently waiting to get some clarification on all this, I completely understand wanting more details, I want them too so I can provide more complete answers when people ask them. We'll post updates on the forum here once we have more information. 

I would expect these cards to sell out extremely quickly and if you're not able to get there early you will almost certainly not get one. This is one of the most hyped PC hardware releases in quite a while and I think many people are overestimating just how many cards will be available on launch day. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    TSTonyV said:

ChrisAJSon said:
    Reservations will not be available initially for the cards. 

So how does the voucher work?  What time do we have to be there to get this voucher? What time will the employee start handing out the voucher? 
  • tli
    Options
    Would I be able to come early at say 7:00 to pick up a voucher, go home and then return when the store opens to pick up the card? Are the vouchers specifically for the card, or do they just affect the order of who goes in the store first?
  • Felicity
    Options
    tli said:
    Would I be able to come early at say 7:00 to pick up a voucher, go home and then return when the store opens to pick up the card? Are the vouchers specifically for the card, or do they just affect the order of who goes in the store first?
    If it's anything like how it was after the TrumpCheck(tm) we all got, (place got absolutely demolished and thank goodness everyone buys awful looking LED covered graphics cards, the basic black ones were stocked still) they basically took down your cell number, gave you a note I think, and everyone went in in the order they arrived. That was during business hours, since there was a strict occupation limit on the building. When someone left, they would text the next person on the list- and if you didn't show up within 5 minutes or so, they'd let the next person in and make you wait (but didn't drop your spot entirely iirc). 

I can imagine they'd do something similar again, but since it'd be before store hours, idk.
  • Bunches
    Options
    Do you know if the process will be the same for all of the stores ?
  • Shortliv3d
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I am planning to order the founders edition online, but there a Micro Center near me and I am curious if the GeForce RTX™ 3080 (After market and Founders Edition) be available on the release date? and will I be available to schedule a pickup? 
    I just called the Dallas Microcenter. There is no online order for them, it will be first come first serve with a limit of 1 per customer as long as there is stock. Doors open at 10am and there will be a line started around ~5pm Wed night. Good luck hope this helps. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    I just called the Dallas Microcenter. There is no online order for them, it will be first come first serve with a limit of 1 per customer as long as there is stock. Doors open at 10am and there will be a line started around ~5pm Wed night. Good luck hope this helps. 
    I've heard that they will hand out vouchers but I am confused how does it work, and what time will they start handing them out
  • cucuchu
    cucuchu ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Line starting at 5pm? As in, 5 hours before they close the store the day prior? 17 hours before the store opens on Thursday? Did they mention a voucher system? 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    Why are you lining up before release? do they guarantee you guys the gpu when you give them your cellphone number? 
  • Felicity
    Options
    That 5pm lines seems like a large [citation needed]. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    Three more days, I hope you all get your Graphics card :blush:
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cucuchu said:
    Line starting at 5pm? As in, 5 hours before they close the store the day prior? 17 hours before the store opens on Thursday? Did they mention a voucher system? 
    While it's not impossible a line could start that early, we do not have an official "designated time" for a line to start or anything like that. The rep you spoke with may have just been relaying something they'd heard from another customer who said they'd be there then, I'd be careful about sticking to specific times like that. 

As for the voucher system, as far as I'm aware we will be doing something like that, but still waiting on clarification. I'm hoping we can get all the details back out to you guys today and update the OP with an updated FAQ.

Why are you lining up before release? do they guarantee you guys the gpu when you give them your cellphone number? 
    GPUs will be first come first served, so some people are planning to show up early to make sure they can get one on launch, as stock will be fairly limited at the beginning. 
  • ChrisAJSon
    ChrisAJSon ✭✭
    First Comment Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @TSTonyV
    Thank you. please do update us. I basically need to plan my schedule and I'm just curious about how the vouchers work and What time will they start handing them. I appreciate your help though
  • zmn668
    Options
    I have a 2 hr drive to get the closest store and I wanted to check if there were restrictions on when a line can form.  I chatted with an online rep who told me nobody should arrive more than 15 min prior to store opening.  I feel very uneasy about this advice looking at what I'm reading here.  
  • ChrisAJSon
    Options
    zmn668 said:
    I have a 2 hr drive to get the closest store and I wanted to check if there were restrictions on when a line can form.  I chatted with an online rep who told me nobody should arrive more than 15 min prior to store opening.  I feel very uneasy about this advice looking at what I'm reading here.  
    wait, What are they going to do if we arrive early though? will they not let us in? I don't see why we can't be there early and stay in the car
  • zmn668
    Options
    My store is in a large outdoor strip mall so I assume there's nothing they can do to prevent you from sitting in the car unless the police would tell you to leave the parking area
  • cucuchu
    Options
    zmn668 said:
    I think thats just sort of a general statement given the pandemic so they are not actively encouraging people gathering together near the entrance. I would think (well...hope) if people arrive early and form a line while maintaining social distancing, there shouldn't be an issue. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99