My download speeds are maxing out at 16-17mbps. Is there a way to fix this?

Morough
Morough
First Comment
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Hello, I recently built my first gaming PC and it is a beast. I am plugged in directly to my modem/router (I have a modem and a router, I have switched between the two and they show similar results). Whenever I test for internet speeds on my PC it maxes out at 16-17mbps. I have switched the medium that allows internet access, the ethernet cables (from cat 5-e, 6, and 8) I've tried wifi and it all shows the same results. So I then thought it was an issue with my drivers. I updated all drivers and nothing. I googled what to do in this situation and I've done the command prompts, the firewall cycling on and off, made sure PnP something or other was disabled. IpV-4 and 6 ( i think im still new to computers and the like ) was turned off or disabled. I even lowered the maximum bandwidth that slows down internet connection ( it was set to 80 percent )
Notable mentions are that I haven't yet purchased Windows 10 home, im waiting until my next paycheck to buy it.
My phone on the same internet is showing 150mbps, my laptop is showing around 360mbps and my roommates PC is showing ~600-750mbps.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 2080 super
ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming (Wi-FI)
36Gb ram
1Tb storage
Thank you for you help or input

Best Answer

Answers

• Morough said:
    Hello, I recently built my first gaming PC and it is a beast. I am plugged in directly to my modem/router (I have a modem and a router, I have switched between the two and they show similar results). Whenever I test for internet speeds on my PC it maxes out at 16-17mbps. I have switched the medium that allows internet access, the ethernet cables (from cat 5-e, 6, and 8) I've tried wifi and it all shows the same results. So I then thought it was an issue with my drivers. I updated all drivers and nothing. I googled what to do in this situation and I've done the command prompts, the firewall cycling on and off, made sure PnP something or other was disabled. IpV-4 and 6 ( i think im still new to computers and the like ) was turned off or disabled. I even lowered the maximum bandwidth that slows down internet connection ( it was set to 80 percent )
    Notable mentions are that I haven't yet purchased Windows 10 home, im waiting until my next paycheck to buy it.
    My phone on the same internet is showing 150mbps, my laptop is showing around 360mbps and my roommates PC is showing ~600-750mbps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    RTX 2080 super
    36Gb ram
    1Tb storage
    If you recently built your gaming pc, why go with a 2080 super?? Nvidia cards are coming out with OP performance. Amd cards are coming out next month.
  • Would you mind detailing what commands you have run? I noticed your board has WiFi. Have you tried connecting via WiFi to see if there is a difference there? A non-activated version of windows should not affect your network speeds.
  • LandShark said:
    Would you mind detailing what commands you have run? I noticed your board has WiFi. Have you tried connecting via WiFi to see if there is a difference there? A non-activated version of windows should not affect your network speeds.
    I have tried wifi and it showed the same speeds regardless. And for commands I disabled auto tuning level. Also I lowered QoS package scheduler from 80 to 0. 
  • Morough said:
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
    RTX 2080 super
    36Gb ram
    1Tb storage
    If you recently built your gaming pc, why go with a 2080 super?? Nvidia cards are coming out with OP performance. Amd cards are coming out next month.
    Why not go with a 2080 super? Regardless of when the new gen cards come out the 2080 super is still good. But to answer your question I got a good deal on it
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @Morough

Did you install the ASUS GameFirst V software? This will have a serious negative impact on speed test results.
  • At the time of questioning I did have it installed and I just uninstalled it along with overwolf and my internet speeds doubled to 30. So after that i uninstalled all other asus software and didn't see much improvement to ~36
  • OMg this worked. Sweet sweet 350mbps it feels so good thanks so much. I had given up on getting anything over 18 mbps
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @Morough

Glad it was something simple, we've seen this quite a bit. To elaborate though, the ASUS GameFirst V is network traffic optimization tool. There's no indication that it actually has a real impact on your actual bandwidth, just that a function of this software does alter the priority and lower the result artificially.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99