AMD RX 6000 Series/Big Navi Keynote Launch Discussion & FAQ (updated)

Comments

• I'm going to be driving 4.5 hours to Mayfield, Ohio to get the card. Has anyone waited in line at this store before? I may try to get there at midnight. Should I get there earlier? 
  • LandShark said:

Millix said:
    Will there be a limit to how many you can buy at once? 
    There is a limit of one per customer.

Can I get a little clarification on this? Is it 1 total or 1 per type. I am building 2 PCs, one for me and one for my son. I, being the more avid gamer(IMHO) of the two, intend to purchase the 6900XT, but I would like to put a 6800 in his machine. The issue is the fact that I am not keen on allowing my son to skip school to stand in line all night to get our hands on 2 separate cards. I understand the reasoning behind purchase limits, just wanting clarification so I know what I am walking into the night of. BTW, super stoked about this, as I am making the switch from Intel/NVidia(I have built every PC I have ever owned for 28 years, and this is my first all AMD rig). Thanks for taking time to answer all these questions! I am so lucky I didn't grow up near a Micro Center. I would have spent every dollar I ever earned in that place. My wife can't keep me away now that I found the Overland Park store is just 15 minutes away!
    Oh, that's so nice to hear! I can confirm that growing up near a Micro Center has an effect on you. 😂 I can definitely check on this for you, however, in the past, it has typically been limited to 1 item (of type) per person/household. I'm not certain if that's the case here, but I'll check in on this and let you know once I get a certain answer.
  • Alzate
    Alzate ✭✭
    First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    I'm gonna be waiting in the Dallas store and this is also my first time waiting for anything like this and I'm only doing it after what happened with the Nvidia 3000 and AMD 500 launch these last 2 months. so my question, has anyone ever waited outside of this store and what time is the line gonna start so I can plan ahead.
  • Hello all, I am planning to wait at my local microcenter the night before and I want a 6800xt, Do any of the employees know which models they will be getting? I want the asus tuf card, evga card or the reference from amd. I also plan to show up around late afternoon on Tuesday before launch.
  • @Alzate. I waited in line for the RTX 3070 launch in the Dallas Store. Assuming that NVIDIA delayed the launch of the 3070 by those two weeks to up stock, there was more than enough for everyone starting from opening at 7 am all the way up to around 1 PM. I don't know what the stock of the new AMD cards will be like, but people were waiting in line up to two days before the launch date. I arrived about 13 hours early and was #29 in line. 
  • 2 days camping at MC, absurd.  Midnight camp, yes, but 2 days?  How?
  • LandShark said:
    Goreopsy said:
    Hi! I don't know whether, even if the staff knows the answer to the following question, it is allowed to answer, but I'll try. Is there in any way that you guys would preemptively, before the launch day or on the day before opening hours, know if the stock that you'll receive will be in the quantity of several dozens, beyond a hundred, or even several hundreds? I'm asking because I think I'll be waiting before the store few hours before the opening hour and would like to ensure that, when I will count how many people are in the line before me, I'll know whether there's any point in me waiting in the line. This is the first time ever I'm considering waiting in line for an item before store hours (due to the pandemic and manufacturing shortages, y'know), so I'd like to know better what to expect. Pardon my lengthy explanation.
    Right now, we don't know what to expect for quantity. If I find out and I'm able to share, I'll let you know!
    Millix said:
    Will there be a limit to how many you can buy at once? 
    There is a limit of one per customer.
    If I go wait in line at the door before opening, can we reserve a 6000 series card based on availability, or do we have to do a mad dash to the back to grab one? 
    The 6000 series will not be available for reservation upon release. I'd assume that it will be done in a similar fashion to our other recent releases. With vouchers that will be handed out to those in line as the store opens. I'm not 100% certain on this, as I know we are always looking for ways to improve our processes. I know it will not be a mad dash. 😊
    Thank you very much for clarifications!
  • Thawol
    Thawol
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    I have a 4 hour drive to St Louis, anybody know what time people started showing up there for nvidia or amd 5000 launch?
  • @F4llenPotAto Thank you, yeah I do not plan on going 2 days ahead. I'm thinking about 17 hours ahead. I heard they don't have as many of the 6800 XT compared to the normal 6800, I'm hoping I can get the 6800xt.  
    @Thawol Well here in Dallas someone said for the 3070 people were lining up 2 days ahead, but AMD might not be as big of a launch so maybe just a day ahead? 
  • Alzate said:
    @F4llenPotAto Thank you, yeah I do not plan on going 2 days ahead. I'm thinking about 17 hours ahead. I heard they don't have as many of the 6800 XT compared to the normal 6800, I'm hoping I can get the 6800xt.  
    @Thawol Well here in Dallas someone said for the 3070 people were lining up 2 days ahead, but AMD might not be as big of a launch so maybe just a day ahead? 
    I'm kind of hoping the same thing. I was planning on heading over about 6pm the night before.
  • 3070 is $499 and nvidia, so maybe more people lined up for that.

6800xt is AMD, so not as "brand-heavy" as nvidia and still $650 for 6800xt.

Well, ill just keep telling myself that, so the camping won't have to be as stupid long.
  • @Thawol for the Ryzen 5000 launch I arrived at MC at 7:30 ish and was prob. number ... ?40? .. 5900x were gone, but still, plenty of 5800x/5600x were left. 
  • Hey guys I’m just wondering about how early should I get there? Is 4 am too late? I really need a new GPU and I haven’t been having any luck online so I have decided to go camp out at a micro center 3 hours away. I’ve also never camped out for anything. I’m also I bit worried about the drivers. Are they really as bad as people say? 
  • when new cards like this release, are 3rd party cards from other companies like ASUS available on launch? or do those release at a later time?
  • Are there any updated on availability and what to expect for Wednesdays launch? Additionally, I am in CO and saw that for the 3000 series launch you opened at 9am ET does that mean my local Microcenter will open at 7am MT for the launch?
  • i don't think there's any room to be picky on whichever 6800xt is available at launch.  like, seriously.

just getting one would be good at all.
  • Still haven't heard anything about what kind of numbers we'll see for the availability of the RX 6000 series. Also, for launch day, we expect to have normal store hours. (9am - 10pm)
  • anyone headed for the Westbury Microcenter?
  • So I have a question to both the microcenter admin and you veteran campers.  I have no experience camping for anything.  My goal is to get a 6800XT, but I will settle for the 6800 since I am a 1440 p gamer.  So, given that people camp absurd hours for these sort of thing, would I be better off trying to play the roulette of refresshing a web page and trying to immediately buy a graphics card, or is trying retail, i.e., microcenter the best move?  As much as I am willing to camp out at midnight or 3am or whatever, I have some lung issues that would be negatively affected by standing out in the cold.  I am in Ohio and during the night ant morning of the 18th it is going to be 35F.  Are people really willing to stand 12 hours in line in the freezing cold?  I feel as though that is not completely fair to people like me with health issues that would prohibit me from doing that, but I digress.  So say I went to the cincinatti or columbus lcoation at 6am (since this is about all I can tolerate for my health).  Is there at least maybe like a 20% chance that they would have one left or should I just not even bother?  I was thinking about showing up at 6am, asking if they have vouchers/ stock left, and then racing home to try the internet if that does not work.  The one guy said there were 5600/5800 processors until 1pm, so that gives me hope for at least getting a 6800.
  • Hoping someone on staff can guesstimate stock numbers a day or two before.   I'm hitting up the Rockville, MD store early that morning. Hopefully the line isn't nuts.  Anyone else camped there on a launch day?
  • Hey, @Rarnold I think it's important to remember that this is tech and it isn't worth negatively impacting your health. Do what you're capable and comfortable doing. I think the idea you mentioned seems like it would be best, given your situation. We still haven't been given an expectation of the amount of stock we will have, and at this point, I'm not sure that will be known until release. I'd guess that stock will be fairly limited and can only hope that I'm proven wrong. I too am a 1440p gamer and I'm very interested in these new GPUs.  Personally, I'd recommend waiting until we have 3rd party benchmarks and reviews that can sort out whether or not the cards are worth buying, or if there is perhaps a more apt card worth buying. It may mean waiting for a time, but I wont sacrifice my health or comfort and I'd be happier, knowing I made the right purchase. That's just me though, you'll have to sort that yourself. Whichever you choose, I wish you success!
  • S1owJam oh cool. you're going to the Dallas store too? Ill settle for a 6800 bit the xt is what I  really want.

@Rarnold hey man tbh your best choice will be refreshing the page. you do bot want to mess your health up for a Gpu, I know there is alot of hype but there will always be something better and more important.
  • Hey guys I’m just wondering about how early should I get there? Is 4 am too late? I really need a new GPU and I haven’t been having any luck online so I have decided to go camp out at a micro center 3 hours away. I’ve also never camped out for anything. I’m also I bit worried about the drivers. Are they really as bad as people say? 
    it depends onw hat you're after, if you're fine with 6800 non XT then i think 4am is fine, from what i've heard 6800XT reference might be limited quantities.
    Jae14 said:
    when new cards like this release, are 3rd party cards from other companies like ASUS available on launch? or do those release at a later time?
    for this release its already been confirmed 3rd party cardss are releasing 2-3weeks after the reference
  • @Alzate no I'm in Maryland, heading to Parkville. Probably should have been a little more clear on that haha
  • I can’t wait to have a good laugh / feel sorry for the Tustin location from what I read about the 3080 and Zen 3 launch here. Having strangers make an “official wait list” not endorse by MC and only check in 3 times? throughout the night when it is first come first serve to those who wait in line. Hopefully the wait list won’t have 100+ people by 9PM the night before LOL 
  • CHRONOBODI
    CHRONOBODI ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper First Answer
    edited November 2020
    if i remember right, the 3080 launch at microcenter had like 15 people in line by the time i got there around 8:45am.
    later on, became 45 people.  only the first 12 people got the whole of 3080 stock that morning.
    this was the Westbury MC, im assuming the situation for camping/lines is worse at Microcenters situated in cities.

just a heads-up of what to might expect from some Microcenters, your mileage may vary.
  • yo is camping out in new york a good idea because i missed the 5000 ryzens and i'm ok with getting zen2 chip but i need a power house of a graphics card and there is nothing good out for less then 1000 smack o rounies and this card is my best best at getting A card for christmas
  • when the AIB cards release 2 weeks after, will they be treated the same as other major launches, or will we be able to reserve them online?
  • @Schwarzoid I haven't heard an official statement yet, but I would imagine reservations will not be available.
  • yo is camping out in new york a good idea because i missed the 5000 ryzens and i'm ok with getting zen2 chip but i need a power house of a graphics card and there is nothing good out for less then 1000 smack o rounies and this card is my best best at getting A card for christmas
    dress warm 5 am and give it a shot 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99