Powerspec B728 upgraded to Win 10; Integrated Media Card Reader - 4 in 1 not showing — Micro Center

Powerspec B728 upgraded to Win 10; Integrated Media Card Reader - 4 in 1 not showing

I came across some SD cards I had not looked at in a while, probably a year or more.  When I bought the Powerspec B728 in April 2018 I was attracted by it was Win 7 Pro and upgradeable to Win 10.  

The Integrated Media Card Reader - 4 in 1 worked under Win 7 and the cards could be read.  I upgraded successfully to Win 10 in early 2020 but I had not looked at the SD cards since then. 

I discovered this morning the SD cards don't show up and neither does the Integrated Media Card Reader 4in1 reader.  I have an old USB card reader and the cards show up.

How can I get the Integrated Card Reader on the Powerspec B728 to work?  I'm not interested to roll back to Win 7; loved that OS but I'm not going back.

Thanks

Comments

• Greetings. If you right click on Start and go to Device Manager, look under "Disk Drives" here, do you see the reader here? 
  • Hello Ian,
    I looked extensively at the Device Manager and do not see the Card Reader anywhere.  Under "System Devices" there are 32 items listed but none show card reader.
    The other thing is, when I plug in a flash drive, some of these don't work, yet if I plug the same flash drive into an HP ENVY I bought at Microsoft last year, it works OK.  The B728 has more than adequate USB ports, both 2.0 and 3.0
    I find in Device Manager I expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" I see only 4 listed: 1) Generic USB Hub, 2) Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft) 3) USB Composite Device and 4) USB Root Hub (USB 3.0).
    I am on Win 10, updated to "Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2" 

Do you think I need a driver update?  I don't know where to start.

Thanks
  • By the way I put the drivers disc in and reinstalled, but no improvement.
  • @wogie Could you please check under "Disk Drives" in the Device Manager. We're looking for a generic USB reader device under the Disk Drive menu. Another option is to click View > Show hidden devices and see if it's there.
    If it is showing there or you can see the device in the list, can uninstall and see if it automatically reinstalls. If it isn't showing, or doesn't reinstall, it's likely that the connection has an issue.
  • @LandShark
    Thanks for the reply.  I had not checked the forum in a week or so. 
    There's only 4 items showing under Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    As you suggested I set the view to Show hidden devices and there are many USB's and I have to say, the USB ports often (but not always) don't recognize SOME Flash Drives.  When I bought the B728 and it ran Windows 7 Pro, all were working.  I upgraded the OS to Win 10 about a year ago, and it may coincide with the upgrade and I didn't notice.
    I then issued the Show Hidden Devices command while I was in the Disk Drive menu, and I see the Flash Drives I've used and a few others.
    At this moment I have only a logitech wireless keyboard / mouse bluetooth plugged into USB 3.0 on the front panel.  No other USB devices plugged in.
     I don't see one called "generic USB reader device".  The non hidden ones are correct, the SSD that came with the B728 and I installed the WDC WD10EALX-009BA00.
    I've temporarily unplugged the WD My Passport.

• IanIan admin
    Sorry for the delay in response, any options listed such as "Other devices" or "Unknown devices" in Device Manager?