Powerspec B728 upgraded to Win 10; Integrated Media Card Reader - 4 in 1 not showing

Options
2»

Comments

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    edited April 2021
    Options

@wogie There are a few options to try.

First option would be to bring the Powerspec to the store for service to get the card reader to work.

Second option would be to go back to Device Manager to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, hit the arrow for all the controllers to drop down. Each device, right click and select Uninstall (do not delete drivers), and then restart computer. Try the card reader then.

Third option, use this link below for this motherboard and install Windows 8.1 64 bit drivers for USB. Download Global and execute the install file for the following:

INF Driver ver 10.1.1.38

Intel Management Engine driver ver: 11.70.0.1045

Fourth option would be to back you data up and do a clean install of Windows 10 on the powerspec. We can give you links on instructions on how to reinstall windows.

There's definitely a conflict with Windows 10 and the sd card reader.

Link:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/h110m-hdv/#Download

• wogie
    wogie ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    Options

Thanks for the list.

This morning my HP Envy laptop won't boot so I'm headed to micro center to drop it off. Its under warranty. I'll try some of these ideas (2 and 3) this weekend and when I get my laptop back, I'll look at option 4. If I do bring it in to microcenter (option 1) I had been thinking about getting a graphics card so that might be the tome for that.

Will let you know.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

How was this resolved? I have the same problem as Wogie and I would like to be able to use my SD card reader and front USB ports.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options

@DonaldMaguire

The SD card reader and USB 2.0 ports on the front are on the same header. Check the USB 2.0's like Wogie and see if they're also not responding. Please check device manager, lets see if there are any devices throwing an error code.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

I would like to know what actually worked for Wogie. I have found so many different solutions out there on the web. If I have to reinstall windows, I am going to have to do a lot of data backups and reinstall a lot of software. Before I do that I want to know that it is actually necessary.

I have already done what he called "Option 2" and uninstalled the USB controllers. That did not fix the problems.

I don't see any devices with error codes in the the device manager. Here is a screen shot:

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@DonaldMaguire

I'm not sure what ended up happening with Wogie's system. It's possible for the panel with the USB 2.0/Card reader to fail and that's what I'd like to determine. Could you show us if the card reader shows under "Disk drives" ? Also, do the USB 2.0 ports work? There are some steps we can take, reinstalling the OS should never be necessary for something like this.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

The card reader does not show up under Disk Drives

The USB 2.0 ports do not work now. They did work originally, but after an upgrade to Windows 10 they stopped working.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@DonaldMaguire

Device is no longer being detected. I just grabbed an old chassis that we used on the B728 and connect it to a new PowerSpec running Windows 11 22H2. It loaded the in box driver and worked normally. There don't appear to be any software compatibility issues. I would suspect the panel failed. You can try to discharge it. Unplug the system the wall, let it sit for at least 5 minutes. See if the SD card reader is detected afterwards. You can reseat the header if you're comfortable.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

I unplugged the system. I opened the case and I saw a cable that ran from the top of the case to the motherboard. I disconnected that cable. I replugged the system, and I found that the USB 3.0 ports which previously had been working were no longer working. I unplugged the system, opened the case and I reconnected the cable to the motherboard. When I plugged the system in again, the USB 3.0 ports were working, but the the USB 2.0 ports and the SD card reader were not working.

I don't know what you mean by "reseat the header". I have done what I think you mean by that.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@DonaldMaguire

You did the right thing. Indication is the controller that handles the USB 2.0 port and SD card reader failed. We can look at it for you in store, but the simplest solution is to replace it with a USB card reader.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

I have a USB card reader, and I could attach it to one of the USB ports in the back of my machine. However, all of those ports are aready in use. Is there a way that the front ports could become useful again. I thought that this was a problem with the operating system, do you mean to say that this is a hardware problem? If so, could I replacesomething and get the front ports and the Card reader to work?

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@DonaldMaguire

It sounds like it. I tested the card reader from the old chassis on a new board. It loads the generic in box driver without issue. I would speak to your local service department about replacing that port and if spare parts are available at this time. There are also ways to add extra USB ports. We could install an expansion card or add a hub.

• DonaldMaguire
    Options

I took my computer into Micro Center and they found that I had a hardware problem. The controllers for the SD Card and the USB 2.0 ports were not working; they did not have replacement parts. I chose to do a work around. I bought a USB 3.0 hub, and a USB 3.0 card reader that I could plug into the hub.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99