No sound unless headphones are plugged in

Options
I just plugged in the computer I had put together for me and there is no sound coming from my monitor nor my headphone stand that has a built in speaker. However, I am able to get sound when I plug my headphones in to the jack on the tower and the monitor itself.

My monitor (MSI Optix MAG273R) is connected to the GPU with an HDMI. I've gone through the troubleshooter and there is always a hiccup when the troubleshoot wizard tries to to reinstall the drivers. I ended up going through device manager to update the drivers myself but the update didn't seem to help. The speakers aren't muted. I've tried toggling through the different speaker output options under sound settings and I've had no luck.

What else could I possibly do to help fix the issue?

Comments

• Ian
    Options
    AnthonyG said:
    I just plugged in the computer I had put together for me and there is no sound coming from my monitor nor my headphone stand that has a built in speaker. However, I am able to get sound when I plug my headphones in to the jack on the tower and the monitor itself.

My monitor (MSI Optix MAG273R) is connected to the GPU with an HDMI. I've gone through the troubleshooter and there is always a hiccup when the troubleshoot wizard tries to to reinstall the drivers. I ended up going through device manager to update the drivers myself but the update didn't seem to help. The speakers aren't muted. I've tried toggling through the different speaker output options under sound settings and I've had no luck.

What else could I possibly do to help fix the issue?
    Greetings. Does Windows sound settings happen to show the monitor as being the default sound device? Here is a guide / information on how to check those settings: https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/92-how-to-change-the-playback-device-sound-levels-in-windows-10 

I would suggest testing each option as it is shown there with the headphones plugged directly into your ports on the PC itself and see if that makes any change. 
  • AnthonyG
    Options
    I've made every possible device the default and tested each one without any sound. I even adjusted sound levels to 100.
  • TSTDavey
    Options
    @AnthonyG just chiming in. But we checked the MSI MAG273R site and this monitor does not have built in speakers. So unfortunately you won't get any sound through the monitor except for the headphone jack. If the MSI monitor is for a desktop, you'll need to get separate desktop speakers to plug into your desktop to get sound or audio. Or you can get a monitor that has built in speakers. Sorry to give the bad news.

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MAG273R/Specification 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99