The Scariest Part of Any Build?

Options
Building a PC can be a scary thing. Even the most seasoned pros have those moments of "oh no" while putting together a new rig. But what makes you hold your breath the most? Snapping the a brand new GPU in? Trying not to overapply thermal paste? Or maybe just hoping it posts when you turn it on?

And, if you've had a build go sideways so you have a good reason to be scared, tell us about it for a chance to win a 3070 graphics card!

Comments

• MicroCenterOfficial
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm positive I'm gonna break pins every time I attach cables to my motherboard. They're just so fragile looking!
  • Fancy
    Options
    The scariest part of my first build was actually stomaching up to buying the parts even after all the research I was afraid of putting all the money into it
  • Fancy said:
    The scariest part of my first build was actually stomaching up to buying the parts even after all the research I was afraid of putting all the money into it
    Nevermind, this is definitely the scariest part.
  • Ian
    Options
    Agree with any small / tiny wires like that.
  • C0v3rt_X
    Options
    SeanM said:
    Building a PC can be a scary thing. Even the most seasoned pros have those moments of "oh no" while putting together a new rig. But what makes you hold your breath the most? Snapping the a brand new GPU in? Trying not to overapply thermal paste? Or maybe just hoping it posts when you turn it on?

And, if you've had a build go sideways so you have a good reason to be scared, tell us about it for a chance to win a 3070 graphics card!

The Intel CPU installation. I was sweating bullets my first time because of its fragile nature. POST was my horror as well and I had a recent experience of that. I dropped an AMD CPU by mistake (moving too fast) and luckily I had able to re-bend the pins back to normal position with a credit card. I was never afraid of the wiring although my first time I hooked my Front panel LED's backwards and I didn't see any lights. I was about to RMA my case when I discovered the connections was flipped.
  • EricE
    Options
    It's only happened a couple of times out of all the computers I've built:  Power it up and...darkness.
  • Scariest part of a watercooling build is filling it.

Scariest part of an air cooling build is installing the CPU HSF hoping I dont drop it.

Scariest part of most builds, though, has got to be putting the CPU in the correct way and hoping you identified the key and you've got the key in the right spot.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    Scariest part is the first week after doing a custom loop. Waiting to see if there's going to be a puddle on the bottom of the chassis when you get home.

For air cooling, nothing really scary unless you're playing with some extreme hardware. Used to have the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Copper tower cooler. It weighed 4.2lb, there was a noticeable sag. That always made me nervous. 
  • Paul_2
    Options
    On a basic office system for clients, it's simply that the monitor cables will reach from the desk to the tower.
    On my own builds which are always packed, it's that first POST, and the thought I'm going to have to take everything apart to fix one silly thing I forgot, etc ...
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99