Asus Tuf Gaming X570-Pro Ethernet not workig

Options
Quwartz25
Quwartz25
First Comment
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Purchased a 5600X and a Tuf Gaming X570-Pro and the ethernet port does not work. Exchanged my motherboard for another Tuf Gaming Pro and the ethernet port on the new one still doesn't work. Tested the cable and it works on any other device (multiple laptops and old motherboard) that is not my Pro, purchased another cable as my old one got crushed just to see if that would make a difference and it still does not work. I've tried current drivers, old drivers and windows update and the ethernet port does not detect the cable. Everything else works perfectly fine with the motherboard. Is it possible that I picked up two motherboards with dud ports. Is there something I am missing? If I need to make another exchange is there a way that I can get a guarantee that an other motherboard will have a working ethernet port, I do not want to teardown my computer again, just to have another dud port.

Comments

• TSKyleH
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Quwartz25, I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your motherboard. Although unlikely it is certainly possible there was a bad batch of boards having the same issue. I understand you have already tried reinstalling drivers, when you mentioned trying both the new and old drivers, were these files downloaded from ASUS's website directly? I understand you also tried other cables and different computers, during this test did you also try different ports on the router? As a reminder, we do offer a 15 day return period for motherboards so you are certainly welcome to come back in at any time, details on this return policy can be found on our knowledge base at https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/24-can-i-return-a-product-that-is-defective
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Yes the older driver I installed was from Asus's website in the support section of the motherboard. The newer driver came from windows 10 update. The ethernet port is an Intel product, so I tried the driver from Intel, and still didn't work. I also tried different ports on the router. I am aware of the return period, I really like the specs of this board for my budget range, I was trying to do everything I could do before having to rebuild my computer a third time. Thank you for your time.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    @Quwartz25

Certain strange to get two boards back to back, with a dead ethernet port. I assume in Device Manager the LAN Adapter does show up under "Network Adapters" and states it's working properly, correct?
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Yes ethernet controller shows to be working in device manager. It just doesn't recognize that the ethernet cable is plugged in. No lights on the connector.  
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @Quwartz25

Looked into a bit more, as on some boards this particular LAN controller requires a firmware update. Looks like the controller on this board is the B3 revision and doesn't, so it should be fine, and I have not had any issues with this controller on the X570/B550 boards myself.

I'd try testing the LAN in safe mode with networking. Try to discharge your system, power it off, discharge the PSU. Test it again. Clear CMOS, load your defaults, boot into Windows. Test it again. You might try installing a Linux distro, kernel 5.8 or later for the i225v. That would tell you definitively that it isn't a software issue.
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Yeah I saw that too, when I was trying to figure out what's wrong. That's what stumps me. I tried safe mode with networking/ nothing, I tried discharging/ nothing, I tried a fresh install of windows 10/ nothing, Tried an Ubuntu live image/ still nothing. Could is be possible that it could be my AT&T gateway isn't compatible with 2.5g LAN? 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @Quwartz25

That shouldn't matter, it should just auto negotiate down to 1Gb/s. Do you have another PC that has both LAN and WIFI? You could do a direct ethernet connection and pipe this PC through with ICS to verify connectivity. You'd at least get an activity light on the port. Just direct LAN to LAN, you don't need a crossover cable anymore.
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Okay progress. Plugged my PC into my laptop and the networking lights came on. Turned on internet sharing and I can get Internet on the PC shared from my laptop, so at least now I know the ethernet port does indeed work. Now how do I get it to recognize the internet connection from my router?  
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Quwartz25

That would seem to indicate it is the router. But it's not even trying to auto negotiate or anything, which makes this odd. I'm not sure this is correctable by anyone, except the manufacturer of the router or ethernet controller. Stop gape would involve adding an intermediary device to your network. I'd buy a 5 port Gigabit Switch.
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Well great thank you, this gives me something to work with. I'll see if I can get my router switched out for a newer model, if not I will pickup a switch. I'm just thrilled I don't have to tear down my PC again. Thank you so much for the time and assistance helping me figure out this problem. I'll update when I get a new router or switch.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @Quwartz25

Let us know what you find, as we'll be looking into this further as well. You could also try going into the adapter properties, and Advanced. Under Speed and Duplex, try setting the speed manually to 1.0 Gbps. That's worth a shot as well, though it doesn't seem like it's even trying to negotiate the connection speed.
  • Quwartz25
    Options
    Okay capping the speed at 1Gbps, didn't help. I got a switch and just set it up and everything works now. How odd. Thanks again for all your help, I'm glad I didn't have to tear down my system again.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options
    @Quwartz25

Glad it's working for you with a simple add on like an unmanaged switch. Would you be able to tell us what model your router is?
  • JC9mm
    Options

My ethernet is not working on my board, completely dissapeared from device manager and have no way to connect to it that I know of. No LAN at all, I have a feeling theres no fixing this unless the chip is replaced or by adding a new card. I have been using this board for 7 months, is there I way I can replace it trough warranty? I bought it open box.

Issue happened after a windows update, I rolled it back but it's gone, Even after fresh install to a new ssd and nothing.

• TS_JosephF
    Options

@JC9mm

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue. The board would come with a 1-year warranty through the manufacturer. You should be able to contact them for a possible repair or replacement if this is due to hardware failure.

Even after the reinstall of Windows you still do not have the network adapter listed in Device Manager?

• JC9mm
    Options

Correct, Idid a clean install and nothing :(

• TS_JosephF
    Options

@JC9mm

It certainly sounds like a bad Ethernet port at this point. I assume you do not see any LED activity on the Ethernet port itself? If not then you may want to contact the manufacturer and start a warranty claim.

Of course if you did not want to go that route, you could install a PCIe Ethernet card or even a USB to ethernet adapter. Which if you are considering this, I would recommend a PCIe one over a USB. I know that the warranty claims can take awhile at time so it is an option if you do not want to go without a board.

• JC9mm
    JC9mm ✭✭
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited March 2021
    Options

Yeah, no LED activity. we'll thanks for confirming Thank you. , I'm gonna drop by for a ethernet board. Any PCIe recommendations ? Budget is currently low, Im running 1gb Fiber with netgear VPN Router.

• JS_MC
    Options

@JC9mm If you're on a budget and looking for an internal adapter I'd recommend this adapter: https://www.microcenter.com/product/408947/tp-link-gigabit-pci-express-network-adapter

It's a great option that still offers 1000Mbps while being quite economical.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this!

• JC9mm
    JC9mm ✭✭
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    Options

@LandShark Thanks man! That looks like a good deal to me.

• JS_MC
    Options

@JC9mm

You're welcome! Happy to help!

• NotMarley
    Options
    Quwartz25 Insterestingly enough, I currently have the exact same issue, and I also have an ATT gateway/router. I'm going to try a switch to see if it helps. There may be a pattern forming here.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    Options

@NotMarley

There's definitely something going on here. My first encounter with this was back in 2019. We were able to confirm the issue, but connecting via ethernet through a laptop, using ICS. Customer added a switch and had no further issues.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99