Does anyone know of plans for a Washington location?

Options

Answers

• I'll add another +1000 for a new Seattle location. I'm moving to the area right now for work and am very unhappy with having to give up Microcenter. Heck I'd even drive to Portland for large purchases (though this would definitely be lower frequency as it's a full day trip).

The service and savings Microcenter provides are unparalleled, from component selection and warranties (useful for critical machines that need to be fixed asap) to the open box motherboards that I've only ever had one issue with (which was of course taken care of immediately with a free replacement).

• Chogg928
    Options
    Yeah, Seattle or one of its neighboring cities would be the perfect place for a micro center. The only pc component / hobbiest store here was Frys and when that brand died they left so the only way to get computer parts in the entire pacific northwest is online or small pc repair shops that might have 2 of every component type on hand at any given moment. heck the building that used to be the frys is just sitting abandoned in tukwilla next to the Boeing plant/topgolf. The market here is very big for the service you provide. Im surprised no one has filled this market yet. Hell I’d be the first person in line to apply for a job there lol.
  • koshera
    Options

+1 for a Seattle store! Hope to see you guys soon!

• andrewsm
    Options
    +100 We have both Amazon and Microsoft headquarters. Also we have huge presence of other tech companies like Google, Facebook, Adobe, Tableau, etc. Also a huge presence of game development companies like Nintendo and Valve. Basically, there's tons of people with disposable income who are deeply interested in computers and electronics around the Seattle area. Even Intel isn't too far, their HQ is by Portland a few hours away.  
  • MOOSE12
    Options
    I made a new account just to +1 this idea. I got into computer building mid pandemic(worst time ik) and haven’t been able to find any good tech stores besides Best Buy, which is really only fun if you like looking at their high tech fridges lol. This would be a great place to have one set up. Even though I’m moving soon, I want people who still here to have one.
  • I also just made a new account to +1 this. Dealing with Best Buy for things like the latest video cards is awful. Would love a Fry's replacement, and in my opinion, Microcenter is better than Frys.

• +1 the idea of micro center in Washington. If micro center where to come up to Washington in the king county area not only would it be the best pc parts store in the area, I would be down to work for micro center
  • welnanick
    Options

+1000 I used to live in Minneapolis, MN with a microcenter less than 15 minutes away. Now I live in Seattle, WA and miss microcenter greatly. I signed up just to say this.

• Nathanking90
    Options
    I commented on this post over a year ago now and am so happy to see its continued to get new comments all this time. Continue bumping for visibility!
  • Wulf
    Options

Yet another "I created this account just..."

Yes, for the love of all that is good and right, we absolutely need a Washington state franchise.

There is zero competition out here, and the nearest MC is 1300 miles away.

All we have are Best Buys, which typically only carry mid-range and generally undesirable hardware. For anything even remotely enthusiast-grade, I have to rely on e-tailers and we all know what a shitshow that's been for the past several years.

• JS_MC
    Options

Love to see the interest in Micro Center across the country! Happily sharing the enthusiasm with our corporate teams!

• I will throw in my support for one in Washington State as well. Though it seems that there must be a major reason it has never happened. Seattle area has been a heavy tech area for a long time. Several large tech companies are either based here (microsoft, amazon) or have a large presance. So it feels like there is a underlying reason not to be here. Hopefully one come eventually. As others have said, there is no equivalent stores and with PC building becoming more popular the last couple of years it would make sense.

That is my two cents.

• +1 made an account as well for this exact reason. 
  • LetsRock
    LetsRock
    First Comment
    edited March 2023
    Options

In light of the recent announcement of a new Micro Center location being confirmed for opening in Indianapolis with 2 more locations to arrive by 2025, I'm casting my hat in for a Washington-based Micro Center as well!

I hear Redmond/Bellevue is always buzzing with growth and then some (or maybe even Issaquah/Sammammish?).....😁

• sPaGskEtTi
    Options

Washington has a computer store in Federal Way called InfoTech. It is not a large store but the service is good and they can get you most of what you want. It is nice because when something breaks I got a way to get a part quickly. They have been in business as long as I can remember. Being a small store they are limited on how much stock they have on hand but the prices are fair. I would like to see a Micro Center here in Seattle area but it is what it is. FRYS screwed themselves and we are paying the price.

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions! No plans at the moment, however, Washington is highly requested. Thank you both for reaching out! 😁

• TechS3ns3
    Options

+1 on this please! Also doesn't have to be in Seattle. We'll drive out for 20-30 miles easy if need be. The closer the better but just bring it in the area please!

• Ian
    Ian admin
    First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls 5 Likes 5 LOLs
    Options
  • WizzBangWA
    Options

Another "I signed up just to..."

The Seattle area has absolutely no computer store that's really worth mentioning. There are pretenders, but nothing worth while. I used to be able to go to Frys and pick up any component I want and not wait for slow order fulfillment and event slower shipping like I do now. Frys used to be so busy, I had to wait up to an hour sometimes to check out, before Frys' execs messed up. I was at the Tustin location during the renovation, talk about kid in a candy store. I picked up all kinds of stuff, but was limited to the room in my suitcase. I made sure we had half a day in socal set aside for Micro Center, Micro Center didn't disappoint. There is so much to be said about being able to just look at products on the shelf to get ideas for the build and load up the shopping cart. I hate Amazon, Best Buy (they are so limited and garbage customer service), NewEgg, and others I can't remember their business name at the moment. They don't have a physical location, I pay retail yet have to wait a week, or 2 weeks, to get what I ordered. Hell no! I pay retail, I want it now. If I have to wait for shipping, I better get a discount. There are exceptions to that, computer parts are not an exception.

Form a business standpoint, if you do want to consider, there's way more than just a potential windfall going on.

• Stay out of Seattle unless you enjoy rampant uncontrolled crime and homelessness, like Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, or Portland. The outlying cities would be a much better choice. Lynnwood, Kirkland, Renton, Redmond, Everett, Mill Creek, Totem Lake, are good examples of cities I frequent and seem to be way more respectable than Seattle. Tukwilla/Renton might be the best location, you get to make use of Seattle and Tacoma areas for a customer base pretty easily.
    • You're the only computer store around, no one comes close. You have a radius of about 50 miles of potential customers willing to empty their wallets (maybe, more on that later).
    • Avoid Bellevue and Seattle due to rent costs, I don't know how small business make it with the astronomical cost of rent alone. The outlier cities have plenty of retail space available, I bet there's a way to negotiate a reasonable rent amount. I bet the old Frys location is available. Right by Boeing, and in a busy shopping center. Massive retail space compared to the Tustin, CA location, could be too big.
    • As much as everyone might say "keep politics out of it", in terms of a business, you have to look at local politics to make sure you can maintain a viable business. What's the history of the voters? How do the politicians behave? What Seattle votes for, the rest of Washington gets. Seattle voters want homelessness and crime. The rest of us have to deal with it since Seattle's elected leaders don't do anything about it. Micro Center will have to deal with it too, but at least not as bad in the outlier cites. There are tons of examples of bad politics that will effect a location here, not just homelessnes and rampant crime. Listen to previous Dori Monson (RIP) shows to get a great idea of the politics in the area.
    • If I was an exec, I would look at how many responses there are on this thread, how many Washington customers buy from me already, but keep in mind some of us don't want the hassle of wanting something, but it's in the store only. For a thread that's two years old, not a whole lot of excitement yet. Maybe we don't want a computer store here.

Those of use who want a store here, get a move on it! Get your friends to get on here and express their opinion. Get local businesses on here to express their opinion, local business can use Micro Center. Light this thread up. If we could get this thread to 50 pages in a couple of months, do you really think Micro Center can ignore that? Two pages in two years shows we just aren't needy enough.

• MOOSE12
    Options

We have so many people who want a location. In fact, I see an opening in the Redmond area, where an old Sears was taken down, I believe you can put a place there. Maybe you are already

• gchmac
    Options

Another +1 (or more if I could). I just moved here from the Detroit area - where I could and did make the 35 mile drive to Microcenter Madison Heights, and can't believe the lack of a great computer component/enthusiasts store anywhere here in the Seattle area.

• KennethBarney
    Options
    I really can’t believe we don’t have a MicroCenter in the PNW! Anyone hear of any plans lately about getting one in Seattle, Portland, Spokane? We desperately need one! No competition for them either. 
  • Fire900s
    Options
    +1 and made a new account.
    I’ll throw money to anything at this point. LETS GET OUR MICROCENTER!!!
  • Ian
    Options

Great to see the suggestions here! I'm not aware of any plans at this time but I will gladly pass the feedback over to the real estate team.

• Dolac
    Options
    I too would love to see a Micro Center in WA, the old Frys electronics location in Renton(not Tukwila as previously cited by another poster) would be a great location, right off a major freeway (interstate 405), and the theme of that particular store already matches close to what microcenter follows(rich woods, off white walls, marble flooring and accents).

There's so much money to be had in this area from tech enthusiasts and nerds that it amazes me that this hasn't already happened 
  • I signed up to +1 this. I used to live in Dallas and spent a fair bit of time there shopping and buying things. I was so shocked to move to the greater Seattle area and find no comparable options. I work at one of the big tech companies, my colleagues lament not having a Micro Center here. Some days you just want to go in and get inspired by inventory and walk out with a new PC's worth of parts, and it's just not the same without a Micro Center around.

• Nathanking90
    Options

It's disheartening to see every single MC Admin say there are currently no plans for a Washington location. I guess MicroCenter doesn't like money.

• Ian
    Options

Unfortunately, the admins of our Community forum do not make the real estate decisions for the company, perhaps it will happen one day!

• DougNoms
    Options

I signed up just to chime in that I'd also appreciate it! I'm always browsing sales and seeing "Microcenter, in store only", that we don't have one has probably saved me some money but also missing out on some great deals. Last night I dreamed I flew to LA just to visit microcenter (though it got jumbled up as dreams do before I got there). Until you guys do I think my best in store option is best buy.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99