Intel 12th Gen Core i7-12700k Build Guide

This discussion has a more recent version.
MicroCenterOfficial
edited November 2021 in PC Build Guides

The day is upon us: Intel has released their brand new line of processors. Featuring DDR5 support, Hybrid Processing, PCIe 5.0, and more (which you can read about here), they're promising to be some of the best processors on the market - and we have the benchmarks to prove it.

To celebrate the launch, we're remaking our benchmarking PC with an Intel flair:

ProcessorIntel Core i7-12700k

The centerpiece of the build, the Core i7-12700k is the best Intel 12th Gen has to offer without breaking the bank. DDR5 ready, prepped for PCIe 5.0, and equipped to handle gaming, streaming, and recording all at the same time thanks to hybrid processing. There's a lot to love about Intel's new Alder Lake processors, and we've broken it all down over here.

Motherboard: ASUS Z690-F ROG Strix Gaming WiFi DDR5 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard

DDR5. WiFi 6E. PCIe 5.0. Multiple M.2 memory slots. The ASUS z690-f has it all and is ready for everything Alder Lake processors can throw at it. And if you prefer a wired connection, it supports 10/100/1000/2500Mbps speeds. Don't forget about ASUS's suite of tools designed to eke every drop of power from 12th Gen either!

Graphics CardEVGA NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming Triple-Fan 8GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card

NVIDIA's RTX 3070 is a perfect match for the i7-12700k, offering high-powered performance while leaving room in the budget to fill out the rest of your PC. Game with high FPS at 1440p and even 4k resolutions on modern titles and crush esports titles with frame rates well above 100 FPS.

Processor Cooling: Corsair iCUE H170i ELITE CAPELLIX 420mm RGB All-in-One Water Cooling Kit - Black

12th Gen is a killer processor, and you're going to want to treat a processor like that right. Keep it cool and ready to go with an AIO Water Cooler. The Corsair iCue H170i Elite Capellix is more than ready to keep your temps low and your Core i7 running healthy. Plus, it'll look good doing it with three RGB fans styled in those blue and white Intel colors.

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5-5200 PC5-41600 CL38 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit CMT32GX5M2B5200 - Black

Corsair's Dominator Platinum DDR5 RAM is the perfect example of what RAM is capable of for 12th Gen. 32GB of pure 5200GHz speed, designed to crush speeds as soon as it's plugged in, Dominator Platinum is named exactly right. And it's got some gorgeous RGB to go with it.

Hard Drives: WD Black SN850 500GB M.2 NVMe Interface PCIe Gen 4x4 Internal Solid State Drive with 3D TLC NAND

It's all about speed and power with the Core i7-12700k, and no memory says that more than an M.2 NVMe drive. With wicked fast read and write times, you'll be booted and into a game before you even sit down. And if you're worried about space, you can always add a traditional HDD or even SSD to your rig, EZ.

Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

750 watts of power with an 80 Plus Gold rating means your new powerhouse will run smoothly and efficiently. But, perhaps more importantly, it's fully modular, meaning you won't have a bunch of extraneous cables getting in the way of all that beautiful white highlighting.

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Tempered Glass eATX Full Tower Computer Case - Blue

It wouldn't be an Intel build without blue, now would it? The Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic offers a gorgeous case with just a bit of blue throughout to give it that pop and tempered glass sides will ensure that everyone can see right into your glowing, sleek new build.

The full parts list can be found on our Custom PC Builder:

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder-intel.aspx?load=5bf272b3-c804-4434-a282-8f6c67d592cb

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99