Driver Power STate Failure

my new laptop (HP Spectre X360) has frozen several times and gone to the crash message: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Some websites called this the screen of death, but said it was merely a conflict with a driver on the system. Just wondering, is this fixable, or is it a deal-breaker for the laptop? Can a novice like me fix it? Thank you for any help!

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    There area  couple of possible causes with that BSOD. Combining it with the freezes is a little more concerning. Does it freeze and recovery or require a reboot? Have you seen any other BSOD's?

You're going to look at the display driver first and then power management. I would start by reinstalling  your GPU driver. Could you provide the full model of your Spectre x360?
  • The computer reboots itself after  that BSOD. I'll take a look at the display driver as you suggested and the power management. the model is x360 15-df0008c. It is refurbished. thank you!
  • also, this problem really started after I'd installed our printer driver, so I could try removing that.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99