Windows 10 product key

I need to get the product key for the copy of Windows 10 that I purchased at Micro Center.  There is no COA sticker on the package or the CD - and I have been told by Microsoft that Micro Center will need to supply me with the key.  With the pandemic occurring, I can't get through to them on the phone and am hoping that they can provide me with something on this forum.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Hello @Dpcrush2112! Welcome to the Community. 

Windows 10 keys are not something we keep records of, but you can look up the key yourself with some tools on your computer. We have a guide for that here:

https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2364/how-to-look-up-your-windows-10-license-key#latest
  • I found a VB script that I could run to show the license key, but the key that shows up is not valid when i try to activate the software.  I paid $150.00 for the CD, and this is absolutely the first time I have tried to use it.  There is no key on the packaging and Microsoft says you need to provide it.  I need something - I legitimately bought this, and now I feel like I am getting screwed.  I have no idea how running a VBS script actually even shows me a key when I never entered it at installation time, yet it does.  Unfortunately, the key is useless from Microsoft's perspective.  I either need another CD from Microcenter, or you need to help me get a valid license key.

• Here are the results from the computer with the missing key:
    From the command prompt using Run as Administrator:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.836]
    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    OA3xOriginalProductKey
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

From within the powershell admin option:
    Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey"
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>
    As you can see - neither option generates anything in terms of an actual key - or anything at all.  Running a VBS script did actually produce a key - from who knows where - but it doesn't work anyway.

I need some help here.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I misread your post, I assumed that you meant it was a product key on a pre-built system, not a separate key provided on an individual purchase of the software. 

Unfortunately in either case, we don't keep the product keys themselves on file. Doing so would require us to open the packages or scratch off the sticker prior to sale which is something we can't do. If you can private message me your purchase information, I could get your information to our managers at the store to see if we have any alternative options. 
  • I'm having a same problem like @Dpcrush2112.. please let me know if someone could help me out..I am happy to share my purchase information..

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@justinjk

The command that was previously listed here "powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey"" is referencing an OA3 key. It's only going to return a result if your system as injected with a key out of the factory. If you purchased a license and manually entered the key, that command won't help you.

Please explain your situation. You purchased a license and never used it, or used it and don't have the packaging anymore? Was the OS wiped? If the OS still exists there should be a way to recover the key you entered.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99