Powerspec G706 High CPU Temperatures

JollyGreenBoiler
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
Hello,
I just purchased a new G706 and have run into a issue. I am seeing very high CPU temperatures on this system that do not seem to match the performance that other people are saying they see. While loading Call of Duty warzone I saw a sustained temp of 91 c and then 95c with Thermal throttling while actually playing the game. I have tried increasing the fan speeds from default to performance mode and that did little to address the issue. Has anyone else had these problems? Is this an issue with the CPU being to much for the cooler? The Cooler not being installed properly? Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I forgot to add that I'm getting these temps from Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64.

Comments

• Just an update on this in case anyone else runs into the issue. I took the case back to and did an exchange for the same unit. I'm now seeing no temps over 70c so there was something wrong with the way my unit was put together.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Welcome to the forum @JollyGreenBoiler, my apologies for our late response. I am happy to hear the exchange unit is working much better. Based on your original description, it sounds like air may have been trapped in the CPU pump/block on the AIO which is pretty common with closed loop water coolers. Often times, you'll notice that the tubing itself is not getting warm, yet the pump/block is very warm to the touch. This means air is trapped in the block and is preventing the pump from moving the liquid around, or is severely hindering the flow rate in general. The solution to this is to remove the radiator from the chassis, sit the chassis down on its side, then hold the radiator above the pump with the tubes completely straight. This will help get the liquid out of the radiator and into the pump. It can be a little tedious, but it's definitely something to keep in mind when using closed loops, especially if you travel with your system.

Another potential issue would be the application of thermal paste, though it's less common of an issue on these coolers as the paste comes pre-applied in a silkscreen sheet. 

If you have any issues with your system or have any questions in general, let us know!
  • Tony_L
    Tony_L
    Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2020
    @TSMichaelB
    Could you elaborate more on the radiator solution? I am having the same issue and I noticed that the radiator (or what appears to be the radiator as it is placed at the very top of the internals with tubes connected to the CPU cooler) has "warranty void if removed" notice and is worried about how to approach your instructions without voiding my warranty (I'm assuming its the warranty to Micro Center). Initially when I was booting up the G706 and started downloading Steam, my CPU temperature shot straight to 70C+, I looked at the motherboard only to realize that only 3 out of the 4 pins for the CPU Fan was connected so I decided to unplug it only to realize all of them were heavily bent. I somehow managed to 'bend' them back into shape and properly plugged the pins back on and the temperature dropped by 5-7C average. 
    Edit: I just tested under full load with aida64, using both Ryzen Master and HwInfo64 as monitor, the CPU temperature is at 75C average while at idle, it sits around 37C with every minute or so spiking to 45C. Is this normal temperature for the G706 which uses a liquid cooler?
  • Tony_L said:
    @TSMichaelB
    Could you elaborate more on the radiator solution? I am having the same issue and I noticed that the radiator (or what appears to be the radiator as it is placed at the very top of the internals with tubes connected to the CPU cooler) has "warranty void if removed" notice and is worried about how to approach your instructions without voiding my warranty (I'm assuming its the warranty to Micro Center). Initially when I was booting up the G706 and started downloading Steam, my CPU temperature shot straight to 70C+, I looked at the motherboard only to realize that only 3 out of the 4 pins for the CPU Fan was connected so I decided to unplug it only to realize all of them were heavily bent. I somehow managed to 'bend' them back into shape and properly plugged the pins back on and the temperature dropped by 5-7C average. 
    Edit: I just tested under full load with aida64, using both Ryzen Master and HwInfo64 as monitor, the CPU temperature is at 75C average while at idle, it sits around 37C with every minute or so spiking to 45C. Is this normal temperature for the G706 which uses a liquid cooler?
    Welcome to the forum, @Tony_L. The radiator solution I referenced above is a common occurrence with AIO coolers where a tiny pocket of air can get trapped within the pump/block and impede the flow of the coolant within the unit. This can occur during shipping or how the unit is handled from stocking all the way to its final destination when unboxed. Removing the radiator from the chassis will not void any warranties whatsoever, so if you wanted to attempt this resolution, you're definitely welcome to do so.

As for the bent pins, that is definitely a concern, especially the part where the fan/pump cable was not completely seated to the boards fan header. Just to be safe, I'll reach out to our QA team and have them keep a closer eye on the headers. That being said, I am happy to hear you were able to get the pins straightened out and your fan/pump cables re-attached.

The idle temperature of 37C sounds normal as your idle temps will depend heavily on the ambient temperature of the room itself. The load temp of 75C is actually pretty good if you have the "Stress FPU" option selected on AIDA64, as that particular test is quite stressful, especially with 8 cores/16 threads. You are still 20C away from thermal junction temperatures, and likely won't see that kind of thermal load while gaming. Understand it's completely normal for a couple of the cores to spike that high as AMD tends to use a higher amount of voltage for their turbo boost tables, but they balance this with a reduced current to maintain CPU longevity over time. I wouldn't see this as a cause for concern, especially if the fan acoustics are to your liking. If you'd like, I can grab a G706 and perform the same test and we can compare numbers to make sure yours is operating within a similar range as the one I have on hand. That may offer some added peace of mind.
  • @TSMichaelB
    Thank you so much for the quick reply!
    For the radiator solution, I have to bring the radiator straight above the pump so that the tubes are completely straight while the system is off right? Or does the solution only work when the system is active and running?
    As for the "Stress FPU" option, I did have it on while stress testing because it was one of the default ones (I did the CPU. FPU, Cache, and System Memory) so I just went along with it.
    If you don't mind, could you grab one and do the same test? I'm already relieved at your comments of 37C and 75C being normal and having someone with the same rig do the same tests would completely erase the remaining doubts in my mind.
    Thank you again, I really appreciate it and is really liking the G706!
  • You're very welcome, @Tony_L. For the radiator solution, you can do so while the system is powered off, it just makes sure that any fluid trapped in the radiator is moved down towards the pump, so that it's ready to circulate when you power it on. I'll get started on the testing so that we can compare our numbers. After things have ran for a while and the AIO has time to reach a thermal equilibrium, I'll let you know of the results.
  • @TSMichaelB
    Sorry for the late reply, and yes, please let me know when you have time to test it! Thank you!
  • Tony_L said:
    @TSMichaelB
    Sorry for the late reply, and yes, please let me know when you have time to test it! Thank you!
    My apologies for the late response. Using AIDA64 version 6.10.5200 in our G706 test bench, we are maxing out around 72C on the hottest core, with the average sitting around 68C. There are a few things to keep in mind though as to why ours is running a little bit cooler than yours.
    #1. Our lab environment has controlled temperatures, with the ambient temperature sitting around 68-70F at all times. 
    #2. This system has been repasted a few times, and isn't using the factory thermal compound that ships on the G706's AIO.

Depending on your ambient temperatures, this delta in thermal performance is likely normal, especially if your room is sitting around 72-75F during your tests.

I am confident that your thermal results are within range of ours and shouldn't be a cause for concern, especially if you are getting nowhere near these temperatures under sustained gaming loads. You definitely have options if you want to lower your thermals and fan noise at a cost to performance, as we can always walk you through disabling Precision Boost Overdrive, but with you only reaching 75C with 20C worth of overhead, I'd strongly recommend keeping it enabled and enjoy the performance boost.

If you have any questions or concerns with your system, let me know and I'll do my best to help address those concerns.
  • @TSMichaelB
    Thank you so much! I'll be keeping the Precision Boost Overdrive enabled as per your recommendation. My doubts have been fully eliminated and I'm glad I bought this computer over the other options. 

Thank you again, have a wonderful day!

• Tony_L said:
    @TSMichaelB
    Thank you so much! I'll be keeping the Precision Boost Overdrive enabled as per your recommendation. My doubts have been fully eliminated and I'm glad I bought this computer over the other options. 

Thank you again, have a wonderful day!

Happy to hear! As always, we are here for you should you have any questions.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99