What motherboard would best suit my first "potential" build? USB 3.1 benefits?

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=67b303a3-4394-4697-ba46-9a32e4e93f2d
This is a link to the parts that were available for in-store. I was informed on reddit that the motherboard I chose didn't have a 20 pin header (chose this one due to availability). And after looking at a spreadsheet someone shared with me, I noticed all the motherboards I looked into didn't have a 20 pin header either. Does anyone know a good option that would run well with the other parts I picked? Or, if you think an adaptor would be a suitable fix? This is my first build and I don't know if not having the USB 3.1 would cause complications or even limit certain abilities. Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Based on the pictures, and on ASUS specs for this motherboard, it should actually have two USB 3.1 Gen 1 headers. Are you referring the smaller connector used frequently for USB-C front panel cables?
  • Yes I believe so. This is the feedback I received which brought it to my concern. I guess just want to know whats this limits. Thanks for the response.
  • bconn
    bconn
    First Comment
    edited May 2020
    TSTonyV said:
    Okay, they're referring to this connector:

This is a connector used specifically for the front panel USB-C connection, and the motherboard you chose doesn't have this specific connector. The only thing this will affect is that USB-C port on the top of the case. The other front panel connectors for the power button, USB Type-A and audio jack will all be able to plug into the motherboard you selected on that build. So if you don't have any use for a USB-C port, then it's not a big concern. 

The closest priced board to the ASUS X570-P I found with the USB-C front panel header is the X570 Aorus Elite, with the next one up being the X570-Pro Prime.
    Thank you once again for getting back. I did further research and with your response included, I fully understand the concept of the different connectors. I also noticed I would have WiFi issues so I had to include that as well. After comparing a bunch of different options, I went with the ASUS X570 TUFF Gaming Plus (Wifi) just under $200. I honestly didn't see your suggestions in time as my first parts list ran out of stock and with all the up-charges and backorders on parts online, I purchased due to fear of loss. Hopefully I didn't make a rookie mistake.
    *EDIT: HAHAHA So with the motherboard I chose, I wont be able to use the USB C header on the case. (Back to my original problem) However I'm probably going to get an adaptor or live with it. Thank you again for the help.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Of course! Always happy to be of assistance. The TUF Gaming Plus is a good motherboard overall and I think you'll be happy with it, minus the lack of USB-C header
  • I am also looking at a build using the Asus TUF Gaming plus with Wi-Fi and a Fractal Gaming Design S2 case with a USB-C on the front panel. Do I understand correctly that I will not be able to connect that USB-C to that motherboard? Are there any adaptors available that would allow that to take place?
  • Not a pro but I’ve been here so.. You are correct. Both the h510i and fractal s2 case have the same compatibility issues with the mobo stated above. You will need to buy an adaptor if you wish to use that front panel usb c. The adaptor uses the 20 pin socket (19 pin usb 3.0 header on the mobo) I’ll leave it to someone else to maybe recommend a particular adapter that would work well as I decided to do without and just not use my front panel connection. The IO on the x570 allows me to make all the connections I need while keeping wires towards the back of the case. I have read that the speed isn’t always guaranteed when using the adaptor so keep that in mind. But it still allows use of the front panel connections. Also they are inexpensive. Good luck!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99