Optiplex 3010 PSU upgrade

Options
I recently bought a PSU from someone and though it fit the form of the PC these connectors didn't. My old shorted out PSU had the 4 pin but this newer one has 6 and is not turning on the PC when connected. This could be a problem with the PSU I bought from the guy, but I honestly just want to buy one that fits this one, instead of constantly trying to find adapters, just to find out the PSU didn't work from the jump.

Comments

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    The connector you're looking at is PCIe power. That's for a video card. There should be another cable labeled CPU, it'll be a 4+4 pin.
  • cane_63106
    Options
    what would be a good 4-500W PSU to buy for motherboards that take 4?
  • TSKyleH
    Options
    Just to confirm, your power supply should have a 4+4 connector which will work in the 4 pin header. The purpose behind a 4+4 is that it can be split so you can use just one of the 4 pin connectors, or you may keep them together to power a 8 pin connector on future motherboards. Many power supplies opt for a 4+4 connector to keep compatibility between motherboard types. Were you able to find the 4+4 it may be together as a single 8 pin.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99