First gaming computer and build - need a little advice please

Embarking on a father-son project to build a gaming computer for son.  Initially, he will have to play over our wireless network but eventually, he'll be hard wired.  With that in mind, are we better off buying a separate wifi card or buying a mother board already equipped with wifi?
Budget for build is $1000 - 1200.  
For processor, we're looking at AMD Ryzen 5 3600X or Ryzen 7 3700X.
Was considering ASUS X570 Plus WIFI but after some reading, not sure.
Once I get past this, I'll probably run our whole build list by ya'll.
Any and all advice very much appreciated!  Thank you.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Personally speaking, I would look for a board with integrated Wifi simply because wireless cards are usually an extra $20-30 or more, and you can get motherboards with integrated wifi without a bunch of added cost. 

The X570 TUF is a perfectly fine motherboard, in my opinion. Other options you can look at that are more budget oriented would be the Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite Wifi, Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi and MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. 
  • Thank you Tony.  I have completed my parts list and attached the link to my build list.  I did not include a case because my son hopes to see some in store before deciding.  Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Could you please look at my build list and let me know if you see any obvious problems?  I feel good about everything but I had a little trouble choosing a SSD.  thank you!
    https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=c0914901-8802-42e7-b184-25b0a82e0d66
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything looks good to me! One thing I do want to note is that you put in an OEM copy of Windows which comes with a DVD for installation. If you get have an optical drive you can use the disk, but most cases we sell don't have optical drive slots in them these days, so personally I'd recommend creating your own Windows 10 installation flash drive. You can use the flash drive to do the install, but use the key from the OEM copy of Windows to activate it. It's pretty easy to make your own if you follow that guide, you just need another Windows computer. If you don't have access to another Windows computer, I'd pick up a normal copy of Windows 10 Home for the extra $20, because it comes with a flash drive instead and you won't have to purchase an optical drive with it, so the cost balances out. 

I think I'd also say you might be a little light on storage capacity, depending on what kind of games you're playing. Modern games are getting pretty large (Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is in excess of 150GB by itself) so if this was being used for newer AAA titles, then you might run out of space fairly quickly. Just keep that in mind. 

Lastly, if you're interested in case recommendations, I'd personally start with a look at the Lian Li 205 (which we use in a lot of our Powerspecs), Cooler Master NR600, or Fractal Design Meshify C. Depending on availability at your local store of course. 
  • Thank you so much for the help!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course! Happy to be of assistance. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE