Ram compatible?

Options
PotterPlays
PotterPlays ✭✭
First Answer Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
edited June 2020 in Help Choosing Parts

Hello Microcenter community!

I will be building a new P.C. with the following motherboard.

Gigabyte - Z490 AORUS Master Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard.

I wanted to know if the following memory is compatible with this board?
G.Skill - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-360018D-64GTZR - Black

Best Answers

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to the forum, @PotterPlays. According to G Skill's QVL list for your memory, it would appear that they've validated the memory on the Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master motherboard: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1582537336/F4-3600C18D-64GTZR-Qvl. Keep in mind that while they were able to use that memory in their testing, this won't always be the case for everyone using that board/memory combo. The memory controller of your processor must also support the memory, and since you are going above Intel's recommended memory speed of 2966mhz, it's basically a toss of the dice to see if your CPU is capable of handling that speed. Overclocking in general is no guarantee, and these XMP profiles are considered overclocking in a sense. 

If you have any further questions, let us know!

Answers

• PotterPlays
    Options

Awesome feedback TS! (Love the profile picture too!

I'm currently going with the 10th gen Intel 17-10700k processor.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Options

Awesome feedback TS! (Love the profile picture too!

I'm currently going with the 10th gen Intel 17-10700k processor.

Thanks! I think the 10700k's memory controller will be strong enough to handle 3600mhz with 2 DIMM's, but be mindful that it may take some extra tweaking to get it to work if it is unstable. I also wouldn't attempt to push 4x32GB at 3600mhz if you planned to upgrade in the future. 

If you do decide to give that memory a try and run into any issues, let me know. I'll gladly help with finding a stable combination of timings if you're comfortable with making the adjustments.
  • PotterPlays
    Options
    So my main goal would be gaming, streaming. (Editing or recording at a later date. / light editing - combining clips together.)  I feel like 64gb is plenty for that.  

Would you recommend using 16gb x 4 stick then?
  • PotterPlays
    Options
    Example.  I could do of these ram kits.

Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32GTZR - Black  To get to the desired 64gb.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99