Ram compatible? — Micro Center

Ram compatible?

edited June 26 in Help Choosing Parts

Hello Microcenter community!

I will be building a new P.C. with the following motherboard.

Gigabyte - Z490 AORUS Master Intel LGA 1200 ATX Motherboard.

I wanted to know if the following memory is compatible with this board?
G.Skill - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-360018D-64GTZR - Black

Best Answers

• TSMichaelBTSMichaelB admin
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome to the forum, @PotterPlays. According to G Skill's QVL list for your memory, it would appear that they've validated the memory on the Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Master motherboard: https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1582537336/F4-3600C18D-64GTZR-Qvl. Keep in mind that while they were able to use that memory in their testing, this won't always be the case for everyone using that board/memory combo. The memory controller of your processor must also support the memory, and since you are going above Intel's recommended memory speed of 2966mhz, it's basically a toss of the dice to see if your CPU is capable of handling that speed. Overclocking in general is no guarantee, and these XMP profiles are considered overclocking in a sense. 

If you have any further questions, let us know!

Answers

• Awesome feedback TS! (Love the profile picture too!

I'm currently going with the 10th gen Intel 17-10700k processor.

• Awesome feedback TS! (Love the profile picture too!

I'm currently going with the 10th gen Intel 17-10700k processor.

Thanks! I think the 10700k's memory controller will be strong enough to handle 3600mhz with 2 DIMM's, but be mindful that it may take some extra tweaking to get it to work if it is unstable. I also wouldn't attempt to push 4x32GB at 3600mhz if you planned to upgrade in the future. 

If you do decide to give that memory a try and run into any issues, let me know. I'll gladly help with finding a stable combination of timings if you're comfortable with making the adjustments.
  • So my main goal would be gaming, streaming. (Editing or recording at a later date. / light editing - combining clips together.)  I feel like 64gb is plenty for that.  

Would you recommend using 16gb x 4 stick then?
  • Example.  I could do of these ram kits.

Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-32GTZR - Black  To get to the desired 64gb.