PSU 650w enough?

• AMD Razen 3600x
  • Nvidia gtx 2070 super
  • 16gb ram
  • 1tb ssd nvme
I was thinking 750w for future expansion, want to add 16 more gigs at some point. Maybe another 2.5 ssd and replace the CPU down the road. Probably won't replace vcard. Is 650w enough?

Comments

• Well if you are planning to update parts might be best to order the PSU at 750 WATS OwO. As PSU's are being bought pretty hot. (By hot I mean they are going LITERALLY out of stock at a lot of part locations even at Micro Centers.)

(My white cosair 750X that I saw when I got my PC parts at my MN Micro Center they had about 14 after I bought one for my build. The NEXT day I saw all 14 other PSU's sold out. O......O) Sure you can choose to wait and the 750 watt PSU will probably lower in price. But then you will be stuck with a redundant 650 Watt PSU if and when later you upgrade. . 
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Kuppa said:
    • AMD Razen 3600x
    • Nvidia gtx 2070 super
    • 16gb ram
    • 1tb ssd nvme
    I was thinking 750w for future expansion, want to add 16 more gigs at some point. Maybe another 2.5 ssd and replace the CPU down the road. Probably won't replace vcard. Is 650w enough?
    650W is technically enough for a 2070 Super and most other high-end video cards right now, but I'm a fan of over-shooting your requirements a bit to leave room for potential upgrades in the future. While I don't expect the next gen graphics cards to have a drastic increase in power requirements, there is a possibility they may have higher power draw which means having some room for upgrades is always nice. Even if they don't, it's better to have it and not use it, then to need it and not have it. 

Its also good for the sake of running your PSU at optimal power efficiency. PSU's are typically most efficient right at 50% of their power load, and even in a high-powered system you're not usually maxing out the power draw on all your parts. 
  • Kuppa
    Kuppa
    First Comment
    edited June 2020
    TSTonyV said:
    Kuppa said:
    • AMD Razen 3600x
    • Nvidia gtx 2070 super
    • 16gb ram
    • 1tb ssd nvme
    650W is technically enough for a 2070 Super and most other high-end video cards right now, but I'm a fan of over-shooting your requirements a bit to leave room for potential upgrades in the future. While I don't expect the next gen graphics cards to have a drastic increase in power requirements, there is a possibility they may have higher power draw which means having some room for upgrades is always nice. Even if they don't, it's better to have it and not use it, then to need it and not have it. 

Its also good for the sake of running your PSU at optimal power efficiency. PSU's are typically most efficient right at 50% of their power load, and even in a high-powered system you're not usually maxing out the power draw on all your parts. 

If this were your setup, would you do an 850w?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I wouldn't. 850W would not be necessary unless you're running multiple GPUs. Even 750W can be enough for a dual-GPU setup if the rest of your system's power draw isn't too high. In your case, with a Ryzen 5 3600X and a single GPU, even if you try to heavily overclock your 3600 650W should still be plenty, since the 3600 doesn't have a lot of overclocking headroom out of box in the first place. 

It all ultimately depends on your exact setup and how you plan to use it in the future, but if you don't plan to run multiple GPUs, I'd say 850W is unnecessary and you could save some money by dropping down to 750W or 650W.
  • TSTonyV said:
    I wouldn't. 850W would not be necessary unless you're running multiple GPUs. Even 750W can be enough for a dual-GPU setup if the rest of your system's power draw isn't too high. In your case, with a Ryzen 5 3600X and a single GPU, even if you try to heavily overclock your 3600 650W should still be plenty, since the 3600 doesn't have a lot of overclocking headroom out of box in the first place. 

It all ultimately depends on your exact setup and how you plan to use it in the future, but if you don't plan to run multiple GPUs, I'd say 850W is unnecessary and you could save some money by dropping down to 750W or 650W.
    850 Watt is kinda OVERKILL for almost all the builds unless your going to the absolute max power draw in terms of enthusiast parts. In Example: (i9-10800k 5.3 GHZ or Ryzen CPU equivalent paired with like a 3080 TI ) And even still depending on how crazy the new GPU you might still have head room with a PSU eating that much power XD. 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99