Gaming build $1200 HELP?? A rookie to this...

Hey guys, I am looking to get advice before I make a final decision. I am planning on using this pc to take advantage of xbox game pass. I'm looking to build my first pc within the next 3 weeks, but I can wait a little longer if better parts become available/worth the wait. I pretty much need everything besides a monitor. Thanks in advance!!
 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tQZxzN  Heres is a previously suggested build. Also, if I went $200 less, what would I lose out on? 

Best Answers

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Answer ✓
    What you lose out on would depend on where you want to save cost. 

The easiest area would be the case. There are good cases you can find for about $70 like the Cooler Master NR600, NZXT H510, Lian Li 205, and such. 

You could also save on the motherboard. The B450 Tomahawk Max is a good board, but you can put a Ryzen 5 3600 in a cheaper motherboard and it will still work fine. There are B450 boards around $80 that should work. You also don't NEED to use an aftermarket cooler. If you're planning to overclock then the Hyper 212 will be a good choice, but the stock cooler is adequate if you leave the CPU at stock settings and don't overclock. 

I'd also look specifically for the EVGA RTX 2060 KO, which is sold cheaper than other RTX 2060 models that are available, for about $300 typically. 

Those changes by themselves would save you a fair bit without losing any performance. Between motherboard, case, and GPU it'd be about $130 saved altogether. 

Answers

• Also I decided I will try overclocking.
  • TSTonyV said:
    What you lose out on would depend on where you want to save cost. 

The easiest area would be the case. There are good cases you can find for about $70 like the Cooler Master NR600, NZXT H510, Lian Li 205, and such. 

You could also save on the motherboard. The B450 Tomahawk Max is a good board, but you can put a Ryzen 5 3600 in a cheaper motherboard and it will still work fine. There are B450 boards around $80 that should work. You also don't NEED to use an aftermarket cooler. If you're planning to overclock then the Hyper 212 will be a good choice, but the stock cooler is adequate if you leave the CPU at stock settings and don't overclock. 

I'd also look specifically for the EVGA RTX 2060 KO, which is sold cheaper than other RTX 2060 models that are available, for about $300 typically. 

Those changes by themselves would save you a fair bit without losing any performance. Between motherboard, case, and GPU it'd be about $130 saved altogether. 
    You're a beast! A couple more questions if thats ok...
    1. Which of those three cases you mentioned do you think is best? I have no preference. Also, I'm guessing the cases got cheaper because it has no LED, works for me!
    2. This build with your adjustments can handle multitasking like browsing and streaming (obs, twitch)? forgot to mention, sorry..
  • TSTonyV said:
    The Cooler Master NR600 will have the best airflow due to the mesh front panel, so it would be my personal choice if you're planning on overclocking and care a lot about thermals. 

A Ryzen 5 3600 + 2060 is a solid mid-range build and you can definitely handle streaming and other multitasking. 
    Many thanks, I now feel comfortable buying my parts!
  • TSTonyV said:
    The Cooler Master NR600 will have the best airflow due to the mesh front panel, so it would be my personal choice if you're planning on overclocking and care a lot about thermals. 

A Ryzen 5 3600 + 2060 is a solid mid-range build and you can definitely handle streaming and other multitasking. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/615385/Lancool_II_Tempered_Glass_eATX_Full_Tower_Computer_Case_-_Black

this case compatible and a good choice?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Doesn't have the mesh front on that model, but cooling is more than adequate. I've had it for a while and I do overclock my Ryzen 9 3900X. It'll accommodate any air cooler. Up to a 360mm radiator in the front. Good case overall.
  • Klondike
    Klondike
    First Comment
    edited July 2020
    TSMikeW said:
    Doesn't have the mesh front on that model, but cooling is more than adequate. I've had it for a while and I do overclock my Ryzen 9 3900X. It'll accommodate any air cooler. Up to a 360mm radiator in the front. Good case overall.
    Any suggestion for a good adapter, as the one linked is out of stock.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99