Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• ryau said:
    My machine has seen some odd issues, not with bad WUs, but not being able to submit some of the CPU WUs, so they're just hanging. A couple of power outages this weekend and a failing UPS didn't help either. Now, if I only knew a place I could get a new UPS... :)
    @ryau I gave up on trying to keep UPSes functioning. Did your WUs get ingested? I had a few GPU WUs backup several weeks ago, iirc they cleared without drastic measures. I checked on other forums and it was attributed to server issues. Don`t know if I got PPD credit or not. In general, the FAH client has always impressed me and the remote access has been very solid. Wish there was more logging features to track performance.
    Some of the servers are down: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=35814

Shame there isn't an option in the FAH client to switch to another server... or have a load distributed system, which would take down/offline servers out of the pool.
  • ryau said:
    My machine has seen some odd issues, not with bad WUs, but not being able to submit some of the CPU WUs, so they're just hanging. A couple of power outages this weekend and a failing UPS didn't help either. Now, if I only knew a place I could get a new UPS... :)
    @ryau I gave up on trying to keep UPSes functioning. Did your WUs get ingested? I had a few GPU WUs backup several weeks ago, iirc they cleared without drastic measures. I checked on other forums and it was attributed to server issues. Don`t know if I got PPD credit or not. In general, the FAH client has always impressed me and the remote access has been very solid. Wish there was more logging features to track performance.
    IIRC the client interface is actually quite old and is going to be replaced shortly. It was never considered a priority until a million people started using it at once :sweat_smile:

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited July 2020
    New WU benchmarks????  My 1660Ti is at 1.1M PPD this morning.  I don`t recall ever seeing it >1M.  Think benchmark is their term for rating a WU iirc.  I`m wondering if the grumbling about toxic WUs & dip in active-folders count prompted a shift?  or ??  Update: my borrowed 2080Ti is at 4.7M PPD!!   I`m >12M PPD!

Update:  LOL 3:23PM the toxic WU have the 2080Ti at 1.87M PPD, total @8.7M.  So much for the smooth highway, back on the gravel road now.    :s

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Well, after seeing what a 2080Ti can really do for F@H, I`m even more anxious to see what Nvidia & AMD will be unveiling for fall release.  I wouldn`t purchase or suggest anyone should buy a 2080Ti now, with the rumored 3080Ti(3090?) & big NAVI likely to be announced next month.  Anyone else watching the GPU rumor mills?  I`m not a gamer, so an average GPU was good enough for me, but cine editing, vfx, stream encoding & folding have changed that.   Some of my amateurish vfx work.

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    My little motivational Folding goal for this month is a July Hat Trick... (3`s) Top3k, 300M PPD, 3k WU.  Just something to help keep the fire lit & noticing the 3`s commonality, 3 goals with 3s.  For my first setup, it was to reach 5M/5days.
    I`m uping my July Hat Trick goal... my new goal (incentive gimmick) is the 2-by-4s, Top 2k, 400M,4kWUs. The current 2k threshold is 
    2,000 Foxbrix Curecoin 438,506,183, which is moving up ~1M pts/day, so by July31 it`ll take ~447M pts.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    My stalled CPU WUs have cleared themselves out now, so I guess the server came back online.

@cine_chris - good luck with your new goal!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    This is just a signature block test...
    Their data updates every few hours, so don`t expect to see immediate results, but it will auto-update.
    Example: (just need to add HTML delimiters)
    un= folding username, t= team#
    img alt="" src="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?un=cine.chris&t=257944/"

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    A good trend for the MCO Folding Team.  MCdonor points are recovering & the slide has been reversed!!  
    MCO is the #25(+3) producing team for the week & #55 overall!! 
    With a strong sprint effort that Top50 Overall spot is possible by Aug1st!!! 

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, we have several new members who are racking up a bunch of points, really great to see the new participation.
  • Personally I plan to just let this run full out until a vaccine is released. After that I may cut it to 50%.  
  • It helps if you are lucky enough to get work units from the projects that are more generous in points.  Personally I'd rather have more consistency, but this way I did manage to hit over 3.1 million points yesterday alone, my all time high, and I'm doing nothing differently than I've done the past 2 weeks.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Tramp78 said:
    Personally I plan to just let this run full out until a vaccine is released. After that I may cut it to 50%.  

They`re working on the antivirals too.  Which have the potential to cut the mortality rate and potentially be effective against mutations too.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Just some food for everyones thoughts. It's already been stated in many of the reports that the computer aid that has been dedicated to the research has rapidly increased the speed of the research and trials. Also take a look at some of the other reasearch that FAH is assisting with as well, I'm sure it some of the other research items have made some type of a impact on some in the group. I know for myself that I plan on having some systems continue after the covid research has completed. I made that choice a while ago after finding out some things that effected some family and friends also after talking to some of their doctors as well where it was mentioned about the research that continues. So for me I'll have something brewing here no stop for sure, not saying eveyone else needs to by any means its a choice myself and family have made.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    A Special Note For All New Folders:
    Make sure you get your passkey setup for max points per work unit. If you have any questions or need some guidence setting it up feel free to ask as there are many of us to lend assistance.
  • Oof, I go on vacation and everything borked.
    kmiller922 said:
    Just some food for everyones thoughts. It's already been stated in many of the reports that the computer aid that has been dedicated to the research has rapidly increased the speed of the research and trials. Also take a look at some of the other reasearch that FAH is assisting with as well, I'm sure it some of the other research items have made some type of a impact on some in the group. I know for myself that I plan on having some systems continue after the covid research has completed. I made that choice a while ago after finding out some things that effected some family and friends also after talking to some of their doctors as well where it was mentioned about the research that continues. So for me I'll have something brewing here no stop for sure, not saying eveyone else needs to by any means its a choice myself and family have made.
    Indeed. I've been folding on my personal machines for years now. There are so many things to get done!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Oof, I go on vacation and everything borked.
    Debork it, we need you. That Team Top50 is just around the corner!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    After reaching my 2nd July Folding challenge with 5 days remaining, I`d need 55M additional points to reach 500M. After punching that into my spreadsheet, it showed 5.31 days.
    I`d need to add 1/2M PPD to my current output to reach that goal. Last night I cobbled together a GTX750 + 2ea GTX1050Ti on a Supermicro X9SCM-F, that should do it. One glitch, but it`s currently pumping out 472k PPD... close enough, I hope.  The  GPU drawer is empty.
    The spreadsheet shows 5.07days, it`ll be close.

• cine_chris said:
    ...Last night I cobbled together a GTX750 + 2ea GTX1050Ti on a Supermicro X9SCM-F, that should do it. One glitch, but it`s currently pumping out 472k PPD... close enough, I hope.  The  GPU drawer is empty...

Good luck to you, I hope you make it!  Even if that one 1050 has a label on it that say "BAD"  ;)
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have personal reasons why my machine is folding pretty much 24/7. Now if the IRS would allow the additional power draw to be classed as a charitable contribution, that could help keep people folding.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭

Good luck to you, I hope you make it!  Even if that one 1050 has a label on it that say "BAD"  ;)

I didn`t expect anyone to notice that. The card showed a fault while folding, so I pulled it out and tagged it. However, it turned out to be the mobo, but he still got the name.  Now, if the other 1050Ti fails he`ll be `really BAD`.  :smiley:  The replacement mobo was only a single slot, and Mr BAD was displaced by a more desirable 1660Ti, thus he got to live in the drawer.  But, the story didn`t end there (con`t above).
  • ryau said:
    I also have personal reasons why my machine is folding pretty much 24/7. Now if the IRS would allow the additional power draw to be classed as a charitable contribution, that could help keep people folding.
    That would be nice, but how to prove it? If your power company lets you make comparisons over time, and you showed consistent excess use (and cost) from the time you started folding, that might be enough. Would it count as a "contribution in kind"?

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be nice, but how to prove it? If your power company lets you make comparisons over time, and you showed consistent excess use (and cost) from the time you started folding, that might be enough. Would it count as a "contribution in kind"?

Yeah, the government wouldn't do it, proof would be too difficult, and it'd be rife with fraud.
  • JeffClark
    JeffClark ✭✭
    First Comment Photogenic
    edited July 2020
    I just started doing this yesterday.  I am currently tinkering with settings.  Off the bat it went to use all threads at full speed and my temps got to high. I found out where to cut back on threads and that helped.  I also turned on my onboard GPU and its recognized but doesn't seem to want to use it.  

Edit:  I just found out that Folding does not support Intel onboard GPUs.  I am shutting that off LOL. 
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard @JeffClark! Looks like you've gotten the hang of it pretty quickly. Did you also get as passkey? That helps accumulate points much quicker.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Looks like @MightyMayfield is fully back online. 
    According to the EOC site we should make Top50 Overall on 7/31. 
     It`ll be harder to progress after that, so enjoy this one!
    I can recall noticing MCO being in the 120`s & working our way to Top100. 

Update: 20200729 17:20 EST, two more, two go...

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Uggh, my new Gigabyte X570 mobo just died on slot0.
    UPDATE: Nvidia drivers, updated and backup, 13.4M PPD overall
    UPDATE: even with two systems down 2-3 hours debugging & making a hardware swap, it was my best day (my tracking 11pm>11pm) with 11.7M PPD.
    Spreadsheet shows 1.04 days to a July 500M, closing out my 5Day sprint 4th day.  FAH tracks 12pm Central so I``ll get a 2hr bubble to use as a deadline. 
    I`m at 489,080,097 11:27pm EDT July 30th.
  • Can't get more than maybe a third of my systems to connect. Not sure how you're getting such luck.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Can't get more than maybe a third of my systems to connect. Not sure how you're getting such luck.
    Sounds like a DNS or Firewall issue?  I just set all mine fixed IP, Google DNS 8.8.4.4 & 8.8.8.8, I`m on Comcast network in GA.  I`ve only seen one network feed dip during my 5Day Sprint, & that was gone by the time I scanned the clients.  You had a couple of 32M PPD days recently too (I`m always impressed).  Some other MC donors dipped too.  Some people might not realize that 32M is rarefied space, Top50.

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @MightyMayfield I`ve been retired 7yrs, putting on my thinking hat, it also sounds like something is jamming the net, bad switch, faulty fiber connect.  I`d start with some simple ping tests, wonder if there`s a server list?  I had to wear lots of hats on the F22 Air Combat Simulator, network was just one of the hats LOL  
    UPDATE: what I got

UPDATE:  Trace routing might work too, it was blocked on my network.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99