Power Spec G317 Freezing When Rendering Videos

Options
Computer will freeze when rendering video - does this with Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum and with Davinci Resolve 16 and with Blu-Ray authoring software - only freezes when rendering - all other functions work fine - have tried scaling back CPU usage on affinity settings - have tried to install new drivers for the GPU - freezing still happens - appears to be random as to when it occurs in the rendering process - sometimes at the beginning - sometimes in the middle - sometimes at the end - happens on renders that take longer than a few minutes.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    Options
    When the freezes occur, does your computer completely stop working and force you to restart or crash? Or does it just stop temporarily, then resume?
  • The screen is frozen indefinitely - nothing works or responds - control/alt/delete or escape does not work - only thing I can do is a forced shutdown by holding down the power button.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    If it's only happening during one specific application I would usually assume some sort of driver or software issue. Have you tried reinstalling your motherboard drives as well? That's the first thing I would check. 

It's possible that you could be overheating. Have you tried monitoring your CPU temperatures while rendering? If not, try a render and check your temps. If you're pushing into the 90 degree range or higher, then it could be a thermal issue. It's also possible that it's RAM related. In your BIOS if you have XMP enabled try disabling it and trying a render after that. 
  • Thanks - I will give all that a try.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Options
    I'm not clear here on if the system is freezing or your GPU is. Next time this happens, press "Shift" rapidly for sticky keys. See if you hear a 'ding' from your speakers. Also, check event viewer logs under Administrative Events at the time stamp of the incident, lets see if there's anything significant being recorded.
  • Good to know - we'll give it a try as well.
  • AlexS
    Options
    Good to know - we'll give it a try as well.
    Please let us know if everything turns out okay
  • Sorry it's taken a while to get back - tried a couple renders - worked fine without having to do anything - suspecting it could be from recently downloading a studio driver for the graphics card - thanks for all your help and suggestions - may need to try some of the other things you listed if there are future problems :)
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully you don't run into anything else, but we're always happy to help!
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99