Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• @MightyMayfield what could you have possiably gotten ahold of a old mainframe from NASA lol
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    edited August 2020
    The current mix of WUs for my Nvidia GPUs looks like an ~20% drop in PPD results.  This is likely the next Moonshot sprint.  For me, it's disappointing as the GPU & power utilization continues to be >90% which implies that the WUs are not properly benchmarked.   I'm most concerned that this will accelerate the current high rate of people abandoning the Folding project  :(
    Points don't cost them anything but discouraging participants has an immediate longer-term negative effect.  As a person that likes to see the results & trends of such things all I can do is idly observe the results like watching the CV-19 infection & death rates.  
    Update:  PPD yield is 82-83% compared to previous, for my systems.
  • JBug55
    JBug55 ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Likes
    edited August 2020
    @ryau, Thanks.
    Mail arrived, gift card was spent, and system moved to the new case. I bought the Corsair case to resolve some cooling issues with my i5 9400/1660 Super GPU system. Next to it is an ancient Diablotek case that was my last build a few (13?) years back. It now holds an old Dell mobo with an i5 4xxx/1650 GPU. I’m having fun and feeling like we’re helping. I’m also a little in @cine_chris camp, the new sprint is a bit more stingy with points, but I’m too stubborn to be discouraged. I just remind myself it’s not about the points.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Thx @ryau I received a mysterious envelope with no return address, I disappointedly opened the accompanying  MC credit card bill first hoping to find a surprise.    :s   LOL.
    Also received notice from PantherX on the FAH GitHub team, that my whining about GPU WU allocation is still in their sites. 
    tl;dr FAH currently doesn't allocate WUs to match the hardware you are running, hence your gear appears that it is being throttled with resultant low PPD yields. 

Well, glad it arrived :)

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    JBug55 said:
    @ryau, Thanks.
    Mail arrived, gift card was spent, and system moved to the new case. I bought the Corsair case to resolve some cooling issues with my i5 9400/1660 Super GPU system. Next to it is an ancient Diablotek case that was my last build a few (13?) years back. It now holds an old Dell mobo with an i5 4xxx/1650 GPU. I’m having fun and feeling like we’re helping. I’m also a little in @cine_chris camp, the new sprint is a bit more stingy with points, but I’m too stubborn to be discouraged. I just remind myself it’s not about the points.
    Nice! That should definitely help with cooling :)
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @ryau This might interest you, as the MCO team has seen a big drop in PPD.
    We've taken a big hit in PPD, but the Linus group dropped 350 million points, so we aren't alone!  I need to see how the relative %'s compare.
    The negative of weak WUs is it discourages people & encourages abandonment.
    I've been connecting with the F@H group, sharing my concerns. Initially, I was met with mocking & the typical abuse some groups are known for, but soon, supporting data from others changed that tune.  
    Anyway, got this today.  Guess we can expect Moonshot Sprint 4 to be similar to earlier July/Aug WU.  

Also, I have good news on my efforts to fix GPU WU allocation problems, for a later post.
  • hopefully September will be a productive month fell short of my targets for July and August between vacations and power outages so it would be a nice boost to have more favorable WU's and PPD.. Maybe even a 3080ti if they are around to really increase stats...  
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ryau This might interest you, as the MCO team has seen a big drop in PPD.
    We've taken a big hit in PPD, but the Linus group dropped 350 million points, so we aren't alone!  I need to see how the relative %'s compare.
    The negative of weak WUs is it discourages people & encourages abandonment.
    I've been connecting with the F@H group, sharing my concerns. Initially, I was met with mocking & the typical abuse some groups are known for, but soon, supporting data from others changed that tune.  
    Anyway, got this today.  Guess we can expect Moonshot Sprint 4 to be similar to earlier July/Aug WU.  

Also, I have good news on my efforts to fix GPU WU allocation problems, for a later post.
    The drop off was quite evident, since at the height of the participation, I was ranked in the 20,000 range and now sub 5,000. Our stores have also had to move and change things around, with some of the threadripper 3990X demo units, with single or dual 2080TIs, being sold or taken out of service. The team is still comparatively strong and I do see a few new members joining. While they don't post within the community here, I see their progress on EOC.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    As stated in the rumors, you might be able to buy a near 2080Ti-equivalent for $500.
    What this translates to for Folding is a TBD.  30X0 chips will be on Samsung 8nm silicon. 
    I combined both the charts that Nvidia showed, the 3090 would be on the next page up & to the right!

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    The 3070 has 5,888 cuda cores, compared to 2,304 for the 2070Super. Seems like it would be great buy for gaming and folding - I may need to upgrade and find out :)
  • It'll definitely be interesting to see the performance and what it means for Folding. Their relative performance graph shown appears to be based on multiple game performance at 4K. I'm very excited to see the difference. I can't wait for benchmarks.

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    ryau said:
    The 3070 has 5,888 cuda cores, compared to 2,304 for the 2070Super. Seems like it would be great buy for gaming and folding - I may need to upgrade and find out :)
    One thing I gleaned this week will be the switch from Open-CL to Cuda with a HUGE jump in Folding performance, no timetable, but that was from PantherX.  So, that 3070 should easily be a Folding monster.  Also, the switch to Cuda will inject your current Cuda gear with steroid-folds.  I'm ready for that juice!
    Reading into this.. they hopefully have a scheme to multi-task WUs, as atom-count is already a bottle-neck.  I know as a hack, the Linux guys can work multi-WU, but there's issues.  Very encouraging news!
    So we just need a way to get smuggled Nvidia 30780's, Hint! Hint!
    I can picture a 3070 gnawing away on 2-3 WUs.   :#
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    ryau said:
    Amazing specs! that works out to a 2.56x jump in Cuda cores & an 8% bump in clock speed.
    That's 1.35x the Cuda Cores of the 2080Ti + FAHcore running Cuda, this is a New World for Folders.
    For Folding my 2070s+2060s combo was matching the 2080Ti.
    Wonder what a 2070s + 3070 will be?
    @ryau , my MC credit card is available for pre-order.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryau said:
    Amazing specs! that works out to a 2.56x jump in Cuda cores & an 8% bump in clock speed.
    That's 1.35x the Cuda Cores of the 2080Ti + FAHcore running Cuda, this is a New World for Folders.
    For Folding my 2070s+2060s combo was matching the 2080Ti.
    Wonder what a 2070s + 3070 will be?
    @ryau , my MC credit card is available for pre-order.
    I just found out from the buyer that we're not doing pre-orders for these. If you're signed up to receive our emails, I'm sure we'll be sending out availability there and we may have a landing page coming with more info. I saw ASUS announced their lineup of ROG Strix and TUF gaming cards, and I'm sure there will be more from other vendors soon.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    F@H is preparing sprint leaderboards & some amazing summary reports.
    This is the info that would be great for an MCO F@H landing page @ryau
    https://fah-ws3.s3.amazonaws.com/covid-moonshot/sprints/3/index.html
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2020
    ryau said:
    I just found out from the buyer that we're not doing pre-orders for these. If you're signed up to receive our emails, I'm sure we'll be sending out availability there and we may have a landing page coming with more info.
    I hope availability will be good enough for employees to partake. History says probably no. I wouldn't mind camping out, though ;)
  • With all the video card upgrades here I don't suppose anyone has some old Nvidia Tesla K40's kicking around?  They are the only thing that fits well in my Lenovo C30 ThinkStation case.

Kirito
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirito said:
    With all the video card upgrades here I don't suppose anyone has some old Nvidia Tesla K40's kicking around?  They are the only thing that fits well in my Lenovo C30 ThinkStation case.

Kirito
    Who has K40s just lying around, gathering dust  :D
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    ryau said:
    Kirito said:
    With all the video card upgrades here I don't suppose anyone has some old Nvidia Tesla K40's kicking around?  They are the only thing that fits well in my Lenovo C30 ThinkStation case.

Kirito
    Who has K40s just lying around, gathering dust  :D
    I can take it way back i had a TRS-80 laying around till about 8 years ago with the expansion box as well also a TI-98 4a with the expansion box remember having to goto shows to get 8k memeroy chips lol
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @JADO
    Spotted this on the Folding Forums. I know problems with AMD gear have been mentioned, well, there's some good news.

We're actually working through a number of issues we found in OpenMM, the open source GPU-accelerated molecular simulation code http://openmm.org, that impact AMD cards. We think we've solved all the issues and are targeting a core22 0.0.12 release with these bugfixes roughly Sep 14-18.
     John Chodera // MSKCC
  • Starting tweaking some stuff around today. Going to finish up tomorrow and see what happens!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Let the price wars begin! @ryau
    Best Buy has listed an RTX3080 for Sept 17th delivery at $699.
    According to Hardwaretimes, yes six-hundred-9-9, not a typo, not a 3070.
    Of course, I'm skeptical of this news, even if it were a Black Friday deal as I heard availability would be a problem.
    Hoping MCO will be thinking of their dedicated & loyal folding team when gear arrives.
    https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-fe-priced-at-699-third-party-cards-priced-b-w-740-and-800-bucks/
    Yes, it's accurate.  They show a founder's edition Nvidia card.
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2020
    Of course, I'm skeptical of this news, even if it were a Black Friday deal as I heard availability would be a problem.
    Hoping MCO will be thinking of their dedicated & loyal folding team when gear arrives.
    https://www.hardwaretimes.com/nvidia-rtx-3080-fe-priced-at-699-third-party-cards-priced-b-w-740-and-800-bucks/
    $699 is the MSRP for the 3080, so not much of a price war there 

I am hoping to snag two 3090's once availability opens up. Can't wait to see how they fold!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any info yet on specific MC pricing for FE or any of the other cards from ASUS, EVGA, etc. If you're after an FE card specifically, I did ask internally and confirmed that we'll also have the 12 pin power adapter.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    The Sprint 4 Science Dashboard is live now too! https://fah-ws3.s3.amazonaws.com/covid-moonshot/sprints/sprint-4/2020-09-06-ugi-tBu-x3110-3v3m-2020-04-Jacobs/index.html We'll cover what this is showing in a blog post coming in the next couple of days. ~ John Chodera // MSKCC

FYI
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    @ryau Linus TT, already the most HUGEness F@H team is actively recruiting for an Oct Sprint event.  Saw this on Discord.

• @ryau Linus TT, already the most HUGEness F@H team is actively recruiting for an Oct Sprint event.  Saw this on Discord.
    The more science the better! They already have quite a large team, though...

• I'd say the additions are working  :D

• I'd say the additions are working  :D
    and how many rocket engines are you using lol, very nice
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99