NVIDIA 3000 Series Launch & Micro Center FAQ!

Comments

• I'm like half tempted to just go to my closest store and hope they are getting more tomorrow and jump the line and get a voucher or something. By the time we all find out there is stock it will be gone again.
  • how's it going at rockville, md location?
  • Lots of people at houston, more than 20
    anyone in Htown get one? I' m 5 minutes away but didn't want to deal with it
  • I wish I could take time off work to wait in line all night like I did in my college days.  When will we be able to order from the website to reserve a card?
  • The Store in Paterson NJ will be have more tomorrow Friday 18th?

263 McLean Blvd. Route 20 Retail Center Paterson, NJ 07504
  • Brencis said:
    The Store in Paterson NJ will be have more tomorrow Friday 18th?

This is confirmed? Where did you hear this?
  • Brencis said:

I am Asking if they are going to have it
  • Brencis said:
    Brencis said:

I am Asking if they are going to have it
    Ah okay. I texted them a few hours ago asking about incoming stock and still no reply.
  • Do you guys know if the Columbus location will have the 3090 launch day? 
  • Do you guys know if the Columbus location will have the 3090 launch day? 

Q.) Will you have the 3070/3080/3090 cards on the release dates?

A.) Yes, we will have a variety of top brand RTX 3000 cards available on their respective launch dates:

RTX 3080        Thursday, September 17th

RTX 3090        Thursday, September 24th

RTX 3070        Thursday, October 15th

• Well, I just found out that only the FE of the 3090 will actually fit in my case. If I can't find it on launch day, will I still able to get it in a few months, or are there only a limited number of FE of the 3090 actually made? I'm asking because I never purchased a FE of a graphics card before. 
  • Well, I just found out that only the FE of the 3090 will actually fit in my case. If I can't find it on launch day, will I still able to get it in a few months, or are there only a limited number of FE of the 3090 actually made? I'm asking because I never purchased a FE of a graphics card before. 
    Nope, not limited.
  • Well Microcenter finally replied to my text (several hours later).

"Good day! We're sold out nationwide. No ETA currently for when we will be receiving more. Those also can not be reserved/preordered due to such high demand."

Guess I should finally sleep. I've been up for a while since I left work the other day lol.
  • Given all the 3080 are pretty much off out of stock everywhere now. How long you see we see their PowerSpec brand releasing builds with them? 
  • How early should you arrive to get a ticket?
  • Will Brooklyn Microcenter have any cards tomorrow into the weekend?
  • Anyone know if there was a line at the Tustin CA Microcenter?
  • I also would love to know about Tustin looking to get a 3090 next week
  • How does one even receive a voucher?
  • Is there any information on preorders or a restock on the Tustin store.
  • Ok, I was first in line at the PA store and got one today. I thought that some info might help everyone deal with the crazy level of demand, so that you don’t waste time or plan poorly. I did a lot of this based on pure motivation and willpower to brute force the line. I saw that people were talking about showing up the night before... so I showed up before that. It’s that simple.

I lined up at 4pm on Wed. 9/16.
    2nd party to join line arrived at 6pm. 3rd joined about 5 min later. After that it was a steady trickle throughout the night. Seems like most people planned on arriving between 2am and 10am (store opening time). The point I’m trying to make here is that I managed to be first in line by arriving 18 hrs early. Based on when #2 showed up, it could be argued that you needed to arrive at least 16 hrs early to be first in line.

For this launch, we were told around 8pm that there would be 11 cards confirmed to be available for purchase. The initial batch was 10 x EVGA XC3 ULTRA, and 1 x MSI GAMING X TRIO.

Vouchers were distributed at approx 8am (2 hours before opening). This voucher assures you will get a card, but it must be redeemed by 3pm (in this specific case). You don’t pay for the voucher, you pay when you finally check out. And you need the voucher when you go to the register.

Here is where it gets a little wild. For anyone that showed up in the middle of the night, and then left: sorry to say that if you would have stuck it out, you likely would own a 3080 today because more came in this morning. By the time the store opened, they had an additional 15-20 for sale. That is more than double what was initially received. Kudos to MC for doing everything they could to get as many as possible and as fast as possible. 

Where did these extra cards come from? Well, I can’t say with certainty, but the manager did say that on launch days vendors (Asus, Gigabyte, etc) will try to send as many as they can to a given store, so that they can sell as many as possible. Just like anything, things take time to be made, and sometimes you have to ship a batch before more are finished and ready to go. So it’s not impossible for more to show up on launch day, assuming that more were made and shipped slightly later than the initial batch. However, it is important to realize that MC has no control over this part. They get very last-minute info regarding these last-minute shipments.

Ok, so what’s the conclusion here.
    a) most people didn’t get one that showed up intending to
    b) most people seriously underestimated the demand, and as such, came to line up way too late 
    c) patience is a virtue... in my estimation approx 10 people that waited for 8+ hours (only to give up after the initial vouchers were handed out) could have and would have gotten one if they stuck around. I understand that is a hard choice to make when faced with the odds that you might not get one and that additional vouchers aren’t guaranteed, but because of these vacancies, several people were able to get them that didn’t wait for very long.

All said, it was a fantastic experience and the time flew by. Only one jerk showed up all night, and he was so upset by the line that he immediately left. 

I know this post is probably going to make the next launch line even longer, with more turnout at an earlier time, but if you really want something super new, and best in class, and you want it during a global pandemic where supplies are extremely limited, you must be prepared to do what it takes. And in my case - along with about 25 of the coolest people I’ve ever met - we all won the day. 

Good luck. Happy hunting 

• DKC1995 said:
    I have a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and a B450 Asrock Mobo. Will the motherboard be compatible with the 3070?
    Yes. I have the 3080 on that exact setup right now and every game I’ve played is perfectly smooth at max settings 1440p @ 144 FPS.

PCIE 4.0 is a “feature” but not a requirement. PCIE is backwards compatible and as such, 3.0 will work too. The difference being data transfer speed between your GPU and the MOBO. But there aren’t any games yet that really demand such bandwidth allocation so the simple answer is it is currently not very important for most use cases unless you are mining or 3D rendering or doing HiFi video editing.
  • Johnny5 said:
    Ok, I was first in line at the PA store and got one today. I thought that some info might help everyone deal with the crazy level of demand, so that you don’t waste time or plan poorly. I did a lot of this based on pure motivation and willpower to brute force the line. I saw that people were talking about showing up the night before... so I showed up before that. It’s that simple.
    I cut some of the text to it's not just some giant thing to scroll through lol.
    So the main thing I want to ask is how the hell did you all handle bathroom breaks and other needs like that? And in regards to lining up early like was that interfering with regular customers going in and out? How did you "establish" the waiting line? Congrats by the way!
  • So theres no point in going the next day to try to get cards right? its not like they would restock overnight, right?
  • Johnny5 said:

For this launch, we were told around 8pm that there would be 11 cards confirmed to be available for purchase. The initial batch was 10 x EVGA XC3 ULTRA, and 1 x MSI GAMING X TRIO.
    How much was the EVGA card?  Heard the Brooklyn location was charging $1k for the EVGA....
  • Does microcenter have a specific day in which it receives or stocks items?  Is my best bet to just camp there all day  and hound down delivery trucks?
  • or a time, even?  I'm an hour away from my closest MC, so to look up stock at time of inventory vs driving there, im kinda screwed
  • Have all the vouchers been given out at Brooklyn MC? I just don't want to make an unnecessary trip
  • Is there a way to be notified about restocking of cards? 
  • Just a quick compatiblity question, since I plan on getting the rtx 3090, and I have an LGCX that I'm using for a monitor, and I already have an hdmi 2.1 worthy hdmi cord(in preparation for the 3090), what's gonna happen when I plug my 3090 into my motherboard that has an i7 8700k, and a PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot? Will I still be able to game at 4k, 120Hz, 10 bit?
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99