Seeking advice on building gaming pc

I want to help my teen-aged son Build a gaming computer. I don’t have knowledge to be very helpful to him and this would be his first time building a computer. Any suggestions? Does anyone know of a class or service that can help us out? We need instruction on how to build the computer and advice on parts.  Thank you! 

Comments

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited October 2020
    Hi, @Johanna_Dravenack! Welcome to the community.
    We have amazing associates in our BYO department to help you with selecting your parts and our service department can build it for you! We don't have any classes on how to build a computer, however, we do have a helpful article with instructions on How to Build a Gaming PC.   I'd be happy to talk more about any questions or concerns you might have about building your first computer!
  • If you have the time at home or are able to watch on your phone, try watching Youtube Videos to get an idea as what to do.  You can watch channels like Linus Tech tips, Jays Two cents, Gamers Nexus, Pauls Hardware, Bitwit.  or just do a search for building a PC.
  • My son purchased a NH-L9i L-Type Low-Profile Cooler for his new build. We were wondering if this cooler is powerful enough to cool an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x CPU of if we should exchange it for something else? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!
  • Hello @Bbear

Your 3600X comes with a stock cooler that should outperform the NH-L9i or be on par.  The Low Profile Cooler is great for very small ITX builds and is usually a specialized cooler.  
  • I presently have Ryzen 5 2600x in a new B550t mobo. I have $300 earmarked for a CPU upgrade, and am seeing the new Ryzen 5600x as the logical choice. Of course even AMD on-line does not have it available for purchase just yet, and am impatiently waiting for availability. I compared the 5600x with the existing previous gen 3800xt (which is also $300 right now) ..... depending on which comparison I look at, both have advantages, but of course the 5600x is NEWEST GENERATION ..... should I just be patient and wait for the 5600x to show up?
  • If you're just gaming, I'd wait for the 5600X. It's improvements in individual core performance make it the top choice in my book. You're right to mention that they both have their advantages. It would really depend on your workload. As I mentioned, if it's solely for gaming, I think your best choice is to wait for the 5600X. I hope this helps!
  • michael_jc95
    edited November 2020
    I want to build my first PC for gaming up to 1440p on a 34" Ultrawide and video editing. Unfortunately, all the next gen CPUs and GPUs are nearly impossible to get a hold of. I was looking to get the either the R9 5900x w/ RTX 3080 or R7 5800x w/ RTX 3070, but after going down numerous rabbit holes of reserach, I'm not sure what I even need anymore to make this happen. If you could also recommend some Ultrawide monitors, that'd be great. My budget on monitors goes up to about $700 at the very most.

EDIT: I also have the GIGABYTE G34WQC in mind but after watching some reviews, G-Sync causes flickering.
  • JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2020
    Personally, I'm a fan of the AOC 34in 144hz monitor or the LG 34in 75hz. Any recent generation CPU pair with a current-generation GPU.
    Here's a video with some expected FPS based at 3440x1440p
    I'd typically recommend a 3080 if you're going for 144hz, or 3070 if you're going for 75hz.
    Hope this helps.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99