Nas drive

I'm interested in nas drive / icloud storage for my home use. I want to save my music, photos, recipes, and other documents. I am looking at the WD My Cloud Home storage. I don't understand how it works. Do I have to pay for 'cloud' backup? Why are these units more reliable than the 1TB Seagate pro

Answers

• TSTDavey
    TSTDavey admin
    First Anniversary Micro Center Staff First Comment 5 Likes
    edited March 2021

Hello @_Amy29 and thanks for posting on the Microcenter Community Forum. The WD My Cloud Home Storage is more of a personal cloud storage device, which works like a NAS in areas, but its not a NAS technically.

How the MY Cloud Home storage works is, any of your music, photos, recipes, documents, etc., all can be backed up to the WD My Cloud device then stored over in the a la "Cloud" on WD's storage servers over the web.

I hope that made sense. If not we can explain it in a different way. So basically your data when backed up will be stored on the WD Cloud device and then uploaded to the Cloud on WD's storage servers. WD's storage server (WD Cloud) will be the single location for you backed up data.

You'll be able to access that data from anywhere over the web. The device is just a "go between", your data is actually backed up and stored on WD Servers.

Below a link or manual for the WD My Cloud Home Storage device. Take a look at the 5th page "About Your My Cloud Home device", it gives some more information on how it works.

Personally, I'd go with Seagate. Their cloud storage works the same as the WD device, but WD's device is not a bad device. Either unit is fine to go with. I just like Seagate over WD or an Iphone over an Android. Just my preference, but both are good products.

LInk:

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/wd/product/external-storage/my_cloud/my_cloud_home/user-manual-my-cloud-home.pdf

Another link on Cloud Storage:

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/cloud/cloud-storage/

• For home use, I'm looking at NAS + a hybrid type cloud solution.

The network access storage allows you to store your files (media, etc.) on your own network (via your ISP and ethernet/WiFi connected local storage). Then, you want to also have access to your stored (and hopefully encrypted/secured) media and other files, correct? If so, then a personal cloud solution comes in the forefront, so you can access your locally stored files from anywhere, remotely, via your mobile devices, etc..

Options I'm looking at, for my personal home solution is: Syncthing (https://syncthing.net/), Nextcloud and Seafile. I've heard good things about Pydio as well.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99