PowerSpec G706 has gotten corrupted, likely a virus of some sort. HELP!

Starmaker
Starmaker
First Comment
edited October 2021 in General Discussion

I purchased my PowerSpec G706 less than two years ago to run my home based business. The PC has been running great since then, until about ten days ago. Whenever I boot up, almost the entire desktop is frozen. None of the app icons on the taskbar are active, only one browser open, the computer crashes from time to time for no reason, even the basic troubleshooting features don't work. I cannot open the Command Prompt, Device Manager, I cannot access Settings, The Start button search field doesn't work, and even CTRL ALT DELETE is inactive. I have to reboot the desktop multiple times to get even a basic level of operation, but the computer still freezes up within ten minutes of doing almost nothing, like checking emails. I did manage to access the command prompt before login. Unfortunately, windows could not run CHKDSK with a /R or /F option. Instead it returned the follow message in brief: The file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows cannot run disk check on this volume because it is Write Protected. I was able to run CHKDSK without the /R and it did find some problems, but could not fix them. And, I was able to run a basic SFC /SCANNOW without parameters for the same reason. This is so frustrating because I haven't been able to do my job, so I'm losing income as everyday passes with no success. I discovered something that makes no sense. After only being able to run basic scans of the system, out of curiosity I decided to open a guest account to see if I could access the G706 core that way. To my surprise, when I opened the guest account, everything worked flawlessly and very fast as if it was a brand new PC. All of the apps open instantly, including both browsers (Edge & Google), all of the app icons are active again, Settings works, emails work, the computer no longer locks up in a few minutes and has to be rebooted. CONCLUSION: I initially assumed it was a device driver of some sort, but since this discovery, I no longer believe it is a hardware issue. Instead, it appears to be a virus or malware that has taken over my regular account, but hasn't affected the guest account. I invite any opinions, ideas or potential fixes you can offer, for I am totally stumped. SIDE NOTE: Once I was able to access the computer through the guest account, I did run Malware Bytes and Avast, both of which didn't find anything. Thanks ...

Answers

• Greetings. Are you able to right click on your Start button and get a list of options (Apps and Features, etc.) to appear?

Can you try the steps in the following guide on the main user account and see if any of these help? https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2794/windows-features-will-not-work-in-control-panel-in-windows-10

• The Start button and Search field right next to it are disabled on my main user account. In other words, nothing happens when I click on them or enter a word to search. But, when I change to the Guest account, the Start button and Search field work really well, as does everything else. So, the issue is definitely account specific. Because it is the Guest account, I can only run those things that don't require elevated administrator privileges.

• I opened the Services scrolled down Windows Modules Installer and it was not Running, but was already set on Automatic. Unfortunately, the Start button is greyed out, so I cannot start it. I've run SFC /scannow many times in the past few days, but it had no affect on the main user account issues. I did it again just for jazz and it didn't find any integrity violations. Then I ran DISM next and it didn't detect anything, instead it returned, "The restore operation completed successfully. Would any of these steps return different results if I could do them in my main user account?

• Hi Ian, just checking to see if you received my two replies to your message above. I need to go back to work tomorrow if at all possible, so I am desperate to find a fix. While waiting for you, I found at least a dozen Powerspec 706 owners and some earlier models who are having the exact same or nearly the same problem, so I'm wondering if it could be some inherent issue with Powerspec gear. Their descriptions of the problems are very similar, and I have tried almost all of the same things they have tried. One admin told me to update the bios on the motherboard CPU as well as the GPU. I'm afraid to try that because I heard that doing so can really mess things up. Plus, the CPU and GPU seem to be working great when I boot into the guest account instead of the main user account. Do you have any other magic up your sleeve that I can try. Since the issues is exclusive to the main user account, I ran three different anti-virus/malware apps on the main user account, i.e. MalwareBytes, Avast One Essential, and Webroot Secure Anywhere, and the first one found some issues that it quarantined. After doing that, all three are now saying the computer is clear. Perhaps they aren't digging deep enough into the OS to find the issue. Let me know that you think. Thanks a million, Paul

• I would suggest running through the steps listed in this guide at https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/windows-10-start-menu-not-working-solved/ Start from the section for "How to reset the Start Menu with default Windows 10 apps"

You can also try a system restore to see if that helps: https://www.microcenter.com/tech_center/article/9025/how-to-run-a-system-restore-in-windows-10

If you are not comfortable with these steps, or do not see any change, it may be best to bring the PC in to your local Micro Center store for further assistance at the service desk in-store, no appointment needed.

• Hi Ian,

I ran Step 1 in freecodecamp.org's guide on how to reset the Start Menu in Windows 10. Since I was unable to run Task Manager from the main user account, I did this via the Guest Account I created. When I restarted Windows Explorer (File Explorer) from the guest account and also ran Step 2 (SFC /scannow), I switched back to the main user account and was able to open apps on the taskbar, open the Start menu, access tools like Device Manager, Command Prompt, Services, System, open Edge and Google, and most importantly I could run Sound Forge Pro 14 for the first time in three weeks, which is the most critical tool for my work. I was excited to see that much functionality again after experiencing almost nothing for the past three weeks. I even though I would contact my 8,000 plus database of clients to let them know that I was back in business again. Unfortunately, that breakthrough and momentary high was short lived. While tweaking Magix's Sound Forge Pro 14 and putting it through its paces for about two hours, the main account froze again, so I shut everything down and hit the sack around 1 am. Needless to say, I was really bummed, but it got even worse this morning, for the Powerspec G706 won't even boot up now. Instead, it gets locked in an endless reboot cycle with a fan running non-stop at maximum speed. In other words, the temporary fix ended with an even worse outcome. Do you have any thoughts on how I might be able to access the guest account during boot up, rather than the main user account? I will be entirely grateful for any guidance you might be able to share. Thanks, Paul

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

@Starmaker

The system reboots, the fan runs at max and it never POSTs? You're not getting anything on screen? If that's correct, then at least it's easy to troubleshoot. Turn the system off, disconnect from power and ground yourself. Open the chassis, then remove the SSD. Reconnect the system and power it on. See if it POSTs and loads into the BIOS.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99