Varnish or not to varnish? That is the question.

Options

I will be putting my new pc on a board to raise it up some to get airflow underneath.

I have been wondering if I should varnish the board (really plywood) or not. 🤔

Does it really matter since I am not going to be using the board for looks, just a platform.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Answers

• JS_MC
    JS_MC admin
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited November 2021
    Options

You're welcome to do as you see fit!

The varnish shouldn't make a difference regarding airflow, however, aesthetically it can make a big difference! So, I would do what looks best for you.

You've already done the right thing in making sure that your PC is getting adequate airflow!

• Archivist
    Options

The question is, how much will see of it under the pc?

Might be a cheap "upgrade" to the new pc as well.

• Scary_Guy
    Options

Personally, if no one is going to see it I'd avoid anything that can actually catch fire that close to electronics.

That said, I have a space heater that runs constantly with a wooden housing so I don't have much room to talk here.

• Archivist
    Options

I ended up just keeping it the way I got it from Home Depot.

To me, I not even pay attention to it. Does allow the case feet (Fratcal Design Define 7) to raise the case about an inch up.

Gives me the airflow under it. Would not have ant if I put it the way my old Antec Performance One was sitting.

• Vaganza
    Vaganza ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls 5 LOLs
    Options
    So it it were me, I’d sand it smooth and varnish it.  Reason being it will help with dust.  If it is left untreated, the initial coating of dust easily sticks leaving more dust to cling to that dust.  One of my hobbies is furniture construction, and I have done computer cases out of wood in the past too.  
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99