How to 3D Print: Pumpkin-Spider Transformer

This discussion has a more recent version.
MicroCenterMaker
edited November 2022 in 3D Printers

What are you printing? Post your favorite recent print in the comments. If we choose yours, you will win 5 free spools of Inland Filament!

This month, we printed a Pumpkin-Spider Transformer. We found the print file for the Spider on Thingiverse.com, submitted by Megawillbot.

You can find the files here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3129886

Our Setup:

Printer: Ender 3 V2

Filament Used: Inland White PLA, 1.75MM

• Nozzle Temp: 215°
  • Bed Temp: 55°

https://www.microcenter.com/product/485641/inland-175mm-white-pla-3d-printer-filament-1kg-spool-(22-lbs)

Infill: 15

Print Time: 21 hours

Rafts: Yes

Support: Yes

Software: Ultimaker Cura

The Print:

The entire print consists of 25 pieces. You can download and print the files individually, or there is one file with all the pieces.

I didn’t have an orange filament, so I used Inland White PLA and then painted it orange.

I chose to print all 25 pieces at once; 10 small ball joints hold the spider together, 10 pumpkin pieces, the body/chest, and face. I printed this with a raft and supports. After 21 hours, I walked in to see perfectly printed legs, ball joints, a pumpkin top, and a spider face with a 3D filament bird's nest sitting on top of everything. The pumpkin slices failed; some even came detached from the raft.

I tried and failed five more times to print the pumpkin slices. I printed with supports only touching the build plate, supports everywhere, no supports, single pieces, 5 pieces. The first ¾ would print perfectly, and the top would fail every time. These are important because this is what holds the legs of the spider to the inside of the pumpkin.

I thought about why the print kept failing at the top. The way the pumpkin slice sat in the Cura Slicer, the part that connects to the spider leg, was at the top of the print, where it failed. 

So, I rotated the pumpkin slice by 180°, moving the joint to the bottom, knowing it would now print first.

I tested one at first, and it came out great! 

So, I printed 5 more using supports that touch the build plate. Finally, after 3 days, my spider-pumpkin was ready for spray paint and construction.

Here is the final result:

Show us what you're printing and Win!

Print something especially cool this month? Show it to us and you could win 5 free spools of Inland Filament! Just photo a photo (or several!) of your build in the comments below and we'll select one to win!

Entries start today and run till 11:59 PM ET, October 12, 2022, and afterward, we'll be selecting one print to receive five Inland Filaments of their choice! See below for official rules.

Comments

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99