Trying to upgrade my gaming rig

Options
keeboardnmouse
edited March 2020 in Help Choosing Parts
Hello everyone,
I am wondering if you could give me some suggestions on what to upgrade/add to my gaming pc first.
I am getting near-60 fps on most non-GPU-intensive games, and for a GPU-intensive games, I am getting 40-50 fps.
I would rather upgrade to improve my frames and to be able to stream games rather than make videos.
Also every game goes to sub-30 FPS when I try to stream.
My current build is https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/custom-pc-builder.aspx?load=0b2394dd-cd3d-4132-aca3-8b9577ce2932
Could you help suggest any first upgrades to go for?

Comments

• TheITDad
    Options
    Well first things first, a GPU will give you the most bang for buck right off the bat.  If you can swing the 300$ range then either the 1660ti or 5600xt are great cards that should give you what you are wanting to do pretty easily.  If you are looking for less than that, shoot for a 1650 super or rx 580 red devil.  Those two cards are each around the 180ish mark and should still get you at or pretty close to being able to do 60fps and stream on ok graphics settings.  After you get one of those next would be your CPU and then ram.  As your motherboard is quite overkill for everything else you got it really shouldn't need upgrading for quite some time.  As far as ram is concerned it should be the next to last upgrade you do with only the motherboard waiting longer.  While Ryzen processors definitely benefit from the 3600 and higher speeds the most being at 3200 won't hurt you to bad since your already at 16gb. So as far as CPU's are concerned and assuming you want to stay ryzen.  The ryzen 5 3600 is a great upgrade that always hovers around the 150-200 mark depending on sales and such and would be a nice jump in performance and until you can get a GPU better than say a 2070 super or maybe a 2060 super that cpu won't hinder you in any way.  Have fun upgrading and if you have a specific budget in mind let us know and we can narrow down the options for you.
  • Ok, I'll probably go for a gtx 1650 super (a friend recommended it already, wanted to make sure), then, is the ryzen 5 2600X a better choice than the 3600? or is the ryzen 5 3600 a better choice in overall performance over time?
  • TheITDad
    Options
    The 3600 is the better choice because you will be on a newer generation and should perform better.  And since the prices can be pretty comparable I would suggest just waiting and saving the couple extra bucks it takes to get the 3600.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Ok, I'll probably go for a gtx 1650 super (a friend recommended it already, wanted to make sure), then, is the ryzen 5 2600X a better choice than the 3600? or is the ryzen 5 3600 a better choice in overall performance over time?
    The 2600x is an incredibly strong value proposition right now, but the 3600 is the better CPU. It has the same amount of cores and threads, but has better clock speeds and more Instructions Per Clock.

That said, if bumping down to the 2600x allows you to jump up to the next performance bracket for the GPU, that would probably better. A 2600x + 1660 super would likely outperform a 3600 + 1650 super due to the GPU difference, even if it's not a huge one.

The 3600 would scale better with future upgrades, like a more high-end GPU, due to the advantage it has in speed. You can't really go wrong either way. 
  • ok, thanks for the tips!
  • matisph04
    Options
    TheITDad said:
    Well first things first, a GPU will give you the most bang for buck right off the bat.  If you can swing the 300$ range then either the 1660ti or 5600xt are great cards that should give you what you are wanting to do pretty easily.  If you are looking for less than that, shoot for a 1650 super or rx 580 red devil.  Those two cards are each around the 180ish mark and should still get you at or pretty close to being able to do 60fps and stream on ok graphics settings.  After you get one of those next would be your CPU and then ram [url=https://www.rachat-credit-rachat.com/]forum rachat de crédit surendettement[/url].  As your motherboard is quite overkill for everything else you got it really shouldn't need upgrading for quite some time.  As far as ram is concerned it should be the next to last upgrade you do with only the motherboard waiting longer.  While Ryzen processors definitely benefit from the 3600 and higher speeds the most being at 3200 won't hurt you to bad since your already at 16gb. So as far as CPU's are concerned and assuming you want to stay ryzen.  The ryzen 5 3600 is a great upgrade that always hovers around the 150-200 mark depending on sales and such and would be a nice jump in performance and until you can get a GPU better than say a 2070 super or maybe a 2060 super that cpu won't hinder you in any way.  Have fun upgrading and if you have a specific budget in mind let us know and we can narrow down the options for you.
    But you should still monitor if it crashes and it needs to be cleaned from time to time.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99