Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• Thanks for the update on Multi Core Multithread - I have a Ryzen 2950X 16 Core 32 Thread and making these changes is making a difference. No reason my gaming machine can't do some work while I work from home and can't game. :)
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2020
    Thank you Columbus Micro Center for getting your 3990X demo machine now up and running. It's listed in the team as ColumbusCrushers.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thanks to Micro Center Dallas for getting their 3990X machine folding, listed as Dallas in the team.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Micro Center Houston for also folding on their 3990X machine, listed as Houston155

• MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2020
    ryau said:
    A fun tidbit I thought I'd share with you guys - one of our stores was running F@H clients on so many machines it tripped a circuit breaker, so they had to reduce the number of working machines :)
    My bad. Math was a little off on wattages. Promise that won't happen again.
    Probably...
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryau said:
    A fun tidbit I thought I'd share with you guys - one of our stores was running F@H clients on so many machines it tripped a circuit breaker, so they had to reduce the number of working machines :)
    My bad. Math was a little off on wattages. Promise that won't happen again.
    Probably...
    Hopefully the breaker will hold when the A/C kicks in :D 
  • I think my PS3 is still folding. I will add servers this evening. 
  • All of these Ryzen 3990X machines, make my two Ryzen 1600 machines jealous!  They are still chugging along though.  :smile:
  • Cannonfodder
    Cannonfodder ✭✭
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2020
    1TM said:

Multi-core CPUs with 4-channel memory controllers (Xeon or Threadripper) may get more work done by running multiple cases in several CPU folding slots instead of just one. CPUs with dual channel memory (AMD Ryzen, intel Core) may not benefit from this as much.

After a while, when all cases download and are running in each slot, see if total estimated points per day eventually increases. To undo the change, remove non-running cpu slots in Configure-Slots, then edit the top cpu slot threads back to -1.

Note that if you run GPUs, free up 2-4 CPU threads to handle GPU data or disable CPU slots altogether to get maximum points from just GPU folding.

I believe I got it. This interface is a little different. Look correct? Running a 12 core xeon 24 virtual. PPD value jumped 20,000 v.s. the default config.

• 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Looks ok, but you are not getting bonus. FAH installer is mute on this, and it took me a week to figure out that to get more points, I need to set up a "passkey", as described here: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/
    After 10 work units are done you will start getting bonus.

BTW, Houston155 needs to do the same.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this on my 3950X and noticed CPU temp increased from 85 to 90 degrees.
  • Cannonfodder
    Cannonfodder ✭✭
    5 Likes Photogenic First Comment
    edited April 2020
    1TM said:

Looks ok, but you are not getting bonus. FAH installer is mute on this, and it took me a week to figure out that to get more points, I need to set up a "passkey", as described here: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/
    After 10 work units are done you will start getting bonus.

BTW, Houston155 needs to do the same.

I made the mistake of putting in my actual name in the name field. Made the incorrect assumption it would take me to another page. So my user name has changed and all my stats reset to 0. Bummer to drop a week of processing, but no big deal. Not doing it for any accolades. So if you request a passkey, when you are prompted for name, use your identity name. What you configured the client with. You cannot use your pass key with any name other than what you put in at time of request, or wait a day and request again.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the Threadripper 3990X machine at the Duluth, GA store, listed as MicroCenter-Duluth in the team and currently at #2.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Congratulations everyone, we broke through the top 500 team barrier!

https://apps.foldingathome.org/teamstats/team257944.html
    No doubt that we will continue to climb. Thank you everyone for your involvement!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, that was quick! Great work everyone!  B)
  • Very nice work! We are folding away out here in the wild west 👍🤠
  • Our Linus 3990X Threadripper broken down for better performance. 
  • MileHighMC
    MileHighMC ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Welp just heard we popped the breaker to a run of Desktops/Laptops tables for the second time since I left this evening... lol. We may be limping along a bit in production tonight. Should be back to full strength tomorrow morning!
  • Welp just heard we popped the breaker to a run of Desktops/Laptops tables for the second time since I left this evening... lol. We may be limping along a bit in production tonight. Should be back to full strength tomorrow morning!
    With your fancy new store? I feel better knowing it didn't happen just to us :wink:
  • 1TM said:

Multi-core CPUs with 4-channel memory controllers (Xeon or Threadripper) may get more work done by running multiple cases in several CPU folding slots instead of just one. CPUs with dual channel memory (AMD Ryzen, intel Core) may not benefit from this as much.

Some Intel Core processers have 4-channel memory controllers. My i9-9980XE does, my x299 Motherboard supports 4 memory channels, and all 8 DIMM slots are full, but I lost ground adding multiple CPU slots of 4, 6, or 8 threads each.

My PPD is in the 1.5-1.6M range with ‘-1’ (let client choose) and dropped to 1.2-1.3M with any other combination of CPU/slot configurations.

I’m not sure if FAH sends different, higher scoring workloads to machines with a higher core count (they used to have an optional switch for machines with >= 24? cores).

Either way - this machine is doing nights and weekends (it has to do its ‘real’ job during office hours) and 4 other machines in the house are 24/7 dedicated to the task! 

| wommwalsh

| 4,187,994 |

Since last Friday.

• 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Thank you for sharing experience with this particular Intel Core. The difference may come in Intel vs AMD compiler optimization. The current guide for GROMACS which is commonly used by researchers these days says in  http://manual.gromacs.org/current/user-guide/mdrun-performance.html
    "The OpenMP implementation is quite efficient and scales well for up to 12-24 threads on Intel and 6-8 threads on AMD CPUs"

similar discussion here  https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34144&p=324230

The gain or loss in actual points during a day may also come as two or more slots _may_ have a better chance than one slot to get a work unit downloaded.
    Maybe you are right about download preference for the number of threads: my 8-thread unit stays running, while the 4-thread unit keeps waiting for a download most of the time.
    Also leave some threads free to feed the GPUs.

• Hey can this run on a raspberry pi unit.  I have a couple of old builds I can daisy chain....
  • Can I use two different computers with the same 'name'/setup?  If yes, do they have to be the same type (linux/macos/win)?
  • Hey can this run on a raspberry pi unit.  I have a couple of old builds I can daisy chain....
    Unfortunately I'm not sure it's been done successfully before. Here's what I found on Folding@Home's forum: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31398
    Anyone else know if it's been done before?
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Hey can this run on a raspberry pi unit.  I have a couple of old builds I can daisy chain....
    Technically speaking, as long as you use a supported Linux distro (Debian, Mint, Ubuntu, Redhat, Centos, Fedora) and run a supported F@H client (https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/) it could work in theory, but it's questionable as to whether you will actually receive any work orders. If they need more resources than what your hardware can provide, you likely will not get an order, or it will take forever to actually receive one, making it very inefficient. Still, if you are up to the task, it's worth a shot as every bit of contribution helps!
  • ChrisP
    ChrisP ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2020
    Mild gaming GPUs have way more folding@home power than expensive CPUs do.  Check it out - I'm folding with two 3950X systems and a 2700X system.  Folding with 80 cores *sounds* really impressive and it definitely heats up the room, but the reality is a single GTX1060 or 5500XT video card can fold twice as fast as all those CPUs combined!  If you want bang for the buck, fold with your video cards!!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Can I use two different computers with the same 'name'/setup?  If yes, do they have to be the same type (linux/macos/win)?
    Yes you can install the client on multiple machines and set them up with the same name, team and passkey, they don't have to be the same platform/OS. The work units and credit that each machine produces will be aggregated under your name. We have several members doing this already. For example, many of our stores are running 15+ systems (PCs and Macs) with the same name - that's how they can get such high scores so quickly.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tramp78 said:
    Just wanted to comment here that seeing all this from all the folks at MicroCenter is amazing. I'm just a customer who got an email and decided to jump in. But you guys are kicking the doors down (and breaking breakers!) and I just wanted to tell you that if I wasn't a fan of the store in the past - and I was - this sort of effort to help the world just nails it. Thanks to all of you for everything you are doing here. 
    Dallas Customer
    Thanks Tramp78 - there's definitely an excited buzz around giving back to our local communities in a number of ways, whether it's folding, printing face shields, or donating PLA. Thank you for your support.
  • Get er' done ^_^
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99