Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• Top 400 worldwide!! Have no fear Team MC is here! 
  • Just saw the email and started folding. Go team!
  • Oof, PPD took a hit today across the board. Work Unit servers not being kind. Hopefully Stanford will be able to figure out a solution to so many people joining the fold.
  • Might I suggest you guys send out another email and point out the results we are having? Someone might think this is not real but if you point out that we are a top 400 team with 40,000 units completed, more people may want to join in. 
  • I came across folding@home a few weeks ago.  I've been running it since on the PC I bought from Microcenter last summer.  Been burning through those work units quickly; about 4m points now.  Sometimes it is idle for a while, but it's running more often than not.  I have it set to "any disease" and at least 3/4 of them are for COVID-19.  I haven't  gotten rid of my old dual core system yet; thinking of setting it up as a Linux machine to lend a little more folding power to the cause.

Question: if I join the team, will it transfer my prior points to the team?  Not that it really matters, but I'm curious.
  • I came across folding@home a few weeks ago.  I've been running it since on the PC I bought from Microcenter last summer.  Been burning through those work units quickly; about 4m points now.  Sometimes it is idle for a while, but it's running more often than not.  I have it set to "any disease" and at least 3/4 of them are for COVID-19.  I haven't  gotten rid of my old dual core system yet; thinking of setting it up as a Linux machine to lend a little more folding power to the cause.

Question: if I join the team, will it transfer my prior points to the team?  Not that it really matters, but I'm curious.
    It does not transfer your points, however, if you fold under the same username you will see a "total score" on the Folding@home stats report that reflects all teams where your name shows up.
    Also, congrats to Denver on passing Deluth!

Hey MissingNOLA, thank you for joining the effort! From what I gather your contributions (points & WU) to our team only happen when you have the team code 257944 set while actively folding. Your previous contributions tallied for another team or for the greater good!

• ChrisP said:
    Mild gaming GPUs have way more folding@home power than expensive CPUs do.  Check it out - I'm folding with two 3950X systems and a 2700X system.  Folding with 80 cores *sounds* really impressive and it definitely heats up the room, but the reality is a single GTX1060 or 5500XT video card can fold twice as fast as all those CPUs combined!  If you want bang for the buck, fold with your video cards!!
    You are absolutely correct!!!

-M
  • ChrisP said:
    Mild gaming GPUs have way more folding@home power than expensive CPUs do.  Check it out - I'm folding with two 3950X systems and a 2700X system.  Folding with 80 cores *sounds* really impressive and it definitely heats up the room, but the reality is a single GTX1060 or 5500XT video card can fold twice as fast as all those CPUs combined!  If you want bang for the buck, fold with your video cards!!
    You are absolutely correct!!!

-M

Yes, but the CPU work units need processing too…

:-)
  • JADO
    JADO ✭✭
    First Comment
    ChrisP said:
    True Dat....My 6 card RX580 rig produced over 175 work units and over 5 million points the first week and that was with significant down time due to startup and shakedown issues...….  It would do more but is limited by the 6 core I5-9600K driving the system.

wuffy68 said:
    Tramp78 said:
    wuffy68 said:
    Where was everyone when Folding@home Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinsons, Ebola, Diabetes and Influenza needed help with research? 
    I just heard about this yesterday. Should I stop?
    Ryau is absolutely correct ... COVID19 is Folding@home's number 1 priority right now ... but don't be surprised when they run out of COVID19 work units, you will also be receiving Cancer, Alzheimer, and Ebola work units as well. Curecoin merely rewards folding@home participants who register on their system no matter what work units are received. Not asking anyone to switch teams - just trying to highlight how there are some innovative teams on Folding@Home that rarely get credit.

• I joined about 3 weeks ago after reading about it on LinkedIn, and have over 47,854,000 points. I thought I had joined the Micro Center team last Friday but fat fingered the team number and gave over 38,000 points to another team. I corrected this several hours ago and happy to say you have over 7800 points from me now.
    I am happy you mentioned to dig out my old computers. I have 2 old laptops with broken hinges and cracked screens that are hard to use. My wife told me to throw them out years ago.  The oldest has a T8300 processor with a Gforce 8600M G5 GPU running win-7. Its running Foldingathome just fine.
    I have notices that more tasks are run on the GPUs than CPUs. Under the CPU it will say "Ready". When there is another task, it will automatically pick it up.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Thanks for your support KeithAC, appreciate it.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to be interviewing Dr. Bowman, the director of the Folding@Home project on Thursday 16th 8pm eastern / 7pm central on live stream (Facebook and YouTube). If you have any questions you'd like me to ask him, please comment in this separate thread: https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2493/questions-for-folding-homes-dr-bowman-livestream-8-7pm-central-thursday-16th-april

• Microcenter should be giving some sort of incentive to fold for their team. Someone please explain to me why I would fold for free when I could be offsetting some of the electric costs by folding for cure coin?
  • JADO
    JADO ✭✭
    First Comment
    Anyone else noticing a very slow day for their rigs?  I have 6 GPU's waiting for work on any disease and since Saturday I am lucky to have jobs for more than one at a time.
  • JADO
    JADO ✭✭
    First Comment
    pezking33 - I would be interested to know how many units you fold every month, what you figure your electricity cost is, and how much you think you can get from cure coin?  I mined Ethereum for about 18 months on three 6 GPU RX580 card rigs and the Ethereum barely covered the power costs when the price was $400.  By the time you screw around setting up crypto accounts and move them around to get them into USD I doubt it is worth the bother compared to what you are spending on electricity.  But if I am wrong it would be interesting to see the numbers.  Thanks
  • JADO said:
    Anyone else noticing a very slow day for their rigs?  I have 6 GPU's waiting for work on any disease and since Saturday I am lucky to have jobs for more than one at a time.
    I have had moments like that too.  From around the different threads I gather it is the size of the job that determines who gets what.  Apparently there may be some algorithm designed to stuff small jobs into home computers to keep larger, faster systems available for heavy number crunching.   My little four core media server waits about ten minutes for a job but my 8 & 16 core ThinkStations may wait an hour or so.   If you're running some 32 or 64 core behemoth, or a bitcoin miner, they may be saving you for the really big jobs that are being compiled.  This is just a traffic analysis model, based on chatter, but it seems logical.

Kirito
  • JADO said:
    Its been on and off for a few dozen machines for the past two days. Today was better than yesterday.
  • pezking33 said:
    Microcenter should be giving some sort of incentive to fold for their team. Someone please explain to me why I would fold for free when I could be offsetting some of the electric costs by folding for cure coin?
    Because a cure coin does no good when you are dead, electric is inexpensive and being a good person is good enough.

• I would invoke a quote from Starship Troopers:

"Someone asked me once if I knew the difference between a civilian and a citizen. I know now. A citizen has the courage to make the safety of the human race their personal responsibility."

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night we reached 1 billion points and 82,000 work units, nice work everyone!

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a new version of the F@H software available, which allows people to prioritize COVID-19 projects: https://foldingathome.org/2020/04/17/new-foldinghome-software-with-the-option-to-prioritize-covid-19-projects/

• I actually started a folding at home team with a discord server i'm a mod in! 
    we got a lot of people on board. we're currently rank 1930! Team 260844! We're local to minneapolis :) 
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    We just squeezed into the top 100! Nice work everyone, and welcome to all the new team members!
    https://stats.foldingathome.org/teams-monthly
  • Congrats on the long climb up!

Running into an issue with Project 16410/  Clock keeps backing up.  I would be down to 17 minutes and then it would jump up to an hour + and the percentage would drop 2-3%.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Kirito
  • Kirito said:
    Congrats on the long climb up!

Running into an issue with Project 16410/  Clock keeps backing up.  I would be down to 17 minutes and then it would jump up to an hour + and the percentage would drop 2-3%.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Kirito
    Appears to be one of the newer covid19 projects. Not sure exactly what is going on but you may try letting the support team know over on the folding forums if you haven't already.
  • Apparently the server logs showed the server on the other end was disconnecting.  Probably because of demand.
    Problem resolved when I let the job finish, stopped folding and updated the FAH program.  Problem hasn't recurred.
    The problem of the constant restarts caused a loss of time as it would keep falling back to some last safe calculation point, thus regrinding the problem about every hour or so. 

Problem is solved and back to full speed.

Kirito
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99