Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• I tried to reserve a new GPU, power supply, etc. so I could increase my folding yield. My CC address wasn't recognized, and then my cart vanished into the the ether. I'll try again today. I know what I need, and I am trying to minimize my time in the store, so you might want to get your servers working. I understand these are tough times, though!
    Anyway, I've had some issues with F@H on Linux, but I somehow got it working on a few old machines. I prefer Rosetta@Home and WCG. When R@H is out of work units, or if a machine is just too old, WCG fills in the gaps. The same can be said for F@H. Rosetta and WCG don't use GPUs, while F@H does. Then there's GPUgrid, which also focuses on bio and medicine, and uses only GPUs, not CPUs. GAH!! Well hey, it is a good time to be a computer geek!
    If you have an old PC collecting dust, clean it up, buy a new Solid State Drive, put Linux on it (I recommend Xubuntu or Debian w/Xfce) and start folding!!

• I am running two machines on Fedora.  Install was easy and they have been grinding for days now.
    My main ThinkStation C20x runs just a touch warm on CPU 2 (Dual Xeon Processors) and only on cores 14-16. 
    May need to re-thermal paste it.  Of course this CPU sits under the DVD-ROM drive so I have a window opened a bit by it to help cool it off.  42F here in New England right now. 

My media computer runs Fedora as well but its only a four core.  The machine I am writing this on is another C20x with one processor.  I have a second processor but not the heat sink and RAM to set it up.  In time though.

Kirito
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I am a little tardy to the party on this, but we broke into the top 200 teams. As of this post, we are ranked 193. Congratulations and thank you to everyone that is continuing to pitch in all that they can spare for this cause. 
  • I see Windows wants me to update it. Probably there's a new graphics driver out there as well. What's the best way to allow those to happn without upsetting the folding client?
  • I hit "stop folding", and it will ask if you want to finish the run you are on.
    Click yes.
    Once completed and the system idle's update and reboot the machine.
    It will most likely start folding at Boot. 
    Make sure it is and you're ready to go.

Kirito

• Hmm. Tried being nice twice now. Doesn't seem to want to stop starting new jobs despite its promises to be good. I'm happy to help, but it needs to remember it's a guest here.
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2020

A challenger approaches! Glad to see so many people contributing :smile: We're also up to rank 162 as a team! This amount of teamwork is awesome!

• A challenger approaches! Glad to see so many people contributing :smile: We're also up to rank 162 as a team! This amount of teamwork is awesome!
    How do we view those stats?  All I can see is the MC totals & individual contributions.
    It would be nice to see more - like how fast we're gaining on the other teams!  ;-)
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper

A challenger approaches! Glad to see so many people contributing :smile: We're also up to rank 162 as a team! This amount of teamwork is awesome!
    Go St Louis Park, MN! :smile:

How do we view those stats?  All I can see is the MC totals & individual contributions.
    It would be nice to see more - like how fast we're gaining on the other teams!  ;-)
    We track points across our stores internally and we predict we'll finish April around 50th position. What this means is that we're going to do really well in May, since we'll be starting the month with over 1,000 members and 4k+ active CPUs.

• Wow, that EOC link has anything & everything you might want to know!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, they do a good job with the stats.
  • Just switched over to team Micro Center!  Folding on a 2080 Super, 2060 Super, and 3900X.  Nobody can stop me!!!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just switched over to team Micro Center!  Folding on a 2080 Super, 2060 Super, and 3900X.  Nobody can stop me!!!
    Welcome aboard! :)
  • Just switched over to team Micro Center!  Folding on a 2080 Super, 2060 Super, and 3900X.  Nobody can stop me!!!
    My 2070 can't get here fast enough!
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2020
    It would be intresting to see where everyone is folding from even it would be that we link to the store we do our build from. I know I'm running a older style gpu but the 980 TI does a great job, at some point ill be upgrading it.

Right now This system is the I9-9900 processor and  asus z390E gaming board with the 980 ti nvidia card. 
    also have a gaming loptop up and running as well folding with the I9-8950 and 1080mobile gpu.
    just haven't decided what im upgrading my 980 ti to yet. but hope to get my old I5 back up and running with the 980 ti card again and set it up for folding as well
  • just haven't decided what im upgrading my 980 ti to yet. 
    If you're in the market right at this moment, I'd recommend a 2080 Super.  They're overpriced, like all Nvidia cards, but not $1200 overpriced, and the performance is great!  The GDDR6 overclocks to the moon!  

Also, folding from Kansas City.  My store is Overland Park, KS.  In case your idea takes off.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Also, folding from Kansas City.  My store is Overland Park, KS.  In case your idea takes off.
    Im folding from Glenside, Pa. and My store is St. Davids, Pa which is just outside of Philadelphia
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    We need everyone to learn how to use the controls that come with the folding so we don't have the number of people dropping out of the folding. This virus and the other folding items are so extremely important. Please if your not sure of how to setup the folding or have questions on how to control it better for when your using your system ask. I'm sure a large number of us here can help solve any issues that your having with it.

• Ryzen 7 1700, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 32 Ram - Folding in Dallas and I bought my PC from the Dallas store. Currentlly it looks like i'm 54th in the team which is surprising. I was dropping a week ago. I guess the boost you get when you do the passkey is massive. 
  • Tramp78 said:
    Ryzen 7 1700, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 32 Ram - Folding in Dallas and I bought my PC from the Dallas store. Currentlly it looks like i'm 54th in the team which is surprising. I was dropping a week ago. I guess the boost you get when you do the passkey is massive. 
    What do you mean by "passkey"?
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tramp78 said:
    Ryzen 7 1700, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 32 Ram - Folding in Dallas and I bought my PC from the Dallas store. Currentlly it looks like i'm 54th in the team which is surprising. I was dropping a week ago. I guess the boost you get when you do the passkey is massive. 
    What do you mean by "passkey"?
    If you create a passkey, you can get a pretty massive boost in the amount of points gained while folding. For my system, I saw an increase of nearly 6x the points: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/. Definitely worth setting up.
  • Folding from the Cleveland, Ohio area (Mayfield store), using 2 Ryzen 5 1600 computers.  Yesterday evening I installed a new GTX 1660 TI video card in one of them, seeing some real points now.  That video card alone is estimating around 800K points per day!
  • 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    we predict we'll finish April around 50th position.
    Not so sure this is doable but depends on how far the “around” stretches. We are not even making 3 billion points this month. It could only happen if _All_ MC stores get passkey configured on _All_ their folding machines. Some MC stores are still running without it. 
  • This is great to see. It's also very important to keep in mind that this type of distributed computing will not adversely affect the life of your components in any way. I've run BOINC projects for years on OC'd and non OC'd parts and nothing has died early. It's best when running these types of workload to shoot towards maximum stability and not necessarily raw performance, if there are errors in the results they will be thrown out.
    Don't be afraid to donate your extra CPU time to these very worthy distributed computing causes!!
    It is not that we are afraid but there are some incomprehensible points
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    If you create a passkey, you can get a pretty massive boost in the amount of points gained while folding. For my system, I saw an increase of nearly 6x the points: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/. Definitely worth setting up.
    Quick question about the passkey when you get it and enter the passkey the points vanished on the web control screen. Any clue what will happen to the units and points i already completed all i added to the config was the passkey everything else is the same? Can tell I'm still a rookie on this I didn't even notice the passkey thing at first

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Ok i have a question about that hole passkey thing. I got the passkey and entered it in the config like it said to but on the web control my points vanished. I hope i didn't loose all the work that was a lot of wu's completed. I also noticed the points that you get showed alot more on the web control but not seem to be adding correctly. could i have done something wrong?
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I now have my passkey to the correct username but the points that you have reset to 0 when you enter the passkey is that normal? do they come back?
    There seems to be something wrong with with the web control when i put in the passkey not sure whats up i even made sure that it was entered correctly. also noticed that the folding fourm doesn't like my gmail to set up accout to post questions so i'll just have to roll with out the passkey entered for now i guess. Hopefully someone here has a clue on how i should go about it.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    1TM said:
    One way to check if you have set up passkey correctly and are getting bonus is to enter your folding username here:  
    https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu
    and see if "Got bonus" is 1. Bonus activates after passkey is set up and 10 work units are done.
    I didn't know about the 10 WU stipulation for the bonus points, great info to have! 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99