Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• Mine are the bottom three.  Hard to find NVidia Cards that fit inside a Lenovo ThinkStation C30.

Kirito
  • 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment

Them GPUs are pretty costly; these days I’d suggest holding off on buying it unless one holds a steady job.

that is unless you get one gifted or loaned to you. Then there are many ways to fit a big gpu in a slim case such as 

case modding and cutting a hole in the cover so it looks like a hood of a muscle car with power cables protruding out

mounting the card sideways and using this or similar connector

microcenter.com/product/609609/maingear-vertical-gpu-mount

using an adaptor to connect the power cable (couldnt find on MC site)

aliexpress.com/item/4000095362629.html

keeping the cover off for better ventilation, and if aesthetics must prevail turning the open side to a wall

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    1TM said:

Them GPUs are pretty costly; these days I’d suggest holding off on buying it unless one holds a steady job.

that is unless you get one gifted or loaned to you. Then there are many ways to fit a big gpu in a slim case such as 

case modding and cutting a hole in the cover so it looks like a hood of a muscle car with power cables protruding out

mounting the card sideways and using this or similar connector

microcenter.com/product/609609/maingear-vertical-gpu-mount

using an adaptor to connect the power cable (couldnt find on MC site)

aliexpress.com/item/4000095362629.html

keeping the cover off for better ventilation, and if aesthetics must prevail turning the open side to a wall

I have always been a firm believer that if it does not fit, a Dremel will fix that, lol.

I've been considering buying some PCIe risers and one of those Kingwin miner open frame chassis to use with our folding rig. Right now, the GPU's are so sandwiched together that I have to use fans to force air in between them, and it looks pretty tacky. 

https://www.microcenter.com/product/602666/bitspower-pci-express-x16-30 & https://www.microcenter.com/product/505935/kingwin-6-bay-miner-atx-open-air-gpu-case. Should let me use 4 2080 Ti's without starving them of air, assuming I space them out properly and maybe add some fans to the rear.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2020
    1TM said:
    One way to check if you have set up passkey correctly and are getting bonus is to enter your folding username here:  
    https://apps.foldingathome.org/cpu
    and see if "Got bonus" is 1. Bonus activates after passkey is set up and 10 work units are done.
    Thanks for the info wish I knew i thought i did something wrong so i pulled it off just to be safe I'm putting the passkey back in now. Then putting myself in the corner lol bad miller lol
  • I have a work unit for the gpu that's tried to upload since last night right now its tried 15 times but for some reason cant connect to the server any idea on how to help it get there
  • 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have a work unit for the gpu that's tried to upload since last night right now its tried 15 times but for some reason cant connect to the server any idea on how to help it get there
    I had two units like this yesterday from Ohio server 3.133.76.19, lost 5 hours and ~430K points as it got done, uploaded but server dumped the results, so these things happen. Sometimes servers just run out of storage space and need to wait for the next cloud to come by : ) to get your results uploaded. 

If you have an "unlimited" internet connection and other work is running, just let it be as eventually these servers will reopen for connection. Otherwise, read on.

What is the message that server gives in the log? - I couldn't find a way to see the log on WebControl so you may need to open the AdvancedControl, as follows: in the bottom right of the screen there's usually clock, and next to it a caret ^ sign. Click on that, and a small menu opens, click on the colored molecule, then click AdvancedControl. 
    The number of the stuck unit is in the Work Queue below showing as Sending. You may click on it, and info will show on the right. Note that sending unit ID number. Then in the upper middle click Log. Now that has a lot of text. Below that Log tab, if you check the box Unit and select the work unit number which can't get uploaded, the log will show messages just for this stuck unit. 
  • 1TM said:
    I had two units like this yesterday from Ohio server 3.133.76.19, lost 5 hours and ~430K points as it got done, uploaded but server dumped the results, so these things happen. Sometimes servers just run out of storage space and need to wait for the next cloud to come by : ) to get your results uploaded. 

If you have an "unlimited" internet connection and other work is running, just let it be as eventually these servers will reopen for connection. Otherwise, read on.

What is the message that server gives in the log? - I couldn't find a way to see the log on WebControl so you may need to open the AdvancedControl, as follows: in the bottom right of the screen there's usually clock, and next to it a caret ^ sign. Click on that, and a small menu opens, click on the colored molecule, then click AdvancedControl. 
    The number of the stuck unit is in the Work Queue below showing as Sending. You may click on it, and info will show on the right. Note that sending unit ID number. Then in the upper middle click Log. Now that has a lot of text. Below that Log tab, if you check the box Unit and select the work unit number which can't get uploaded, the log will show messages just for this stuck unit. 
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Sending unit results: id:00 state:SEND error:NO_ERROR project:16435 run:1517 clone:1 gen:1 core:0x22 unit:0x0000000303854c135e9a4ef94b03f63e
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Uploading 141.52MiB to 3.133.76.19
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 3.133.76.19:8080
    16:03:04:WARNING:WU00:FS01:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Trying to send results to collection server
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Uploading 141.52MiB to 3.21.157.11
    16:03:04:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 3.21.157.11:8080
    16:03:04:ERROR:WU00:FS01:Exception: Transfer failed

I'm just letting it do its thing just figured i'd ask since I've had other units for the same server with no issue since
  • We have crossed the 3 Billion folding points for the team.

• 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    Thank you for getting to the log files. Yes, this looks normal, it tried both the regular and backup servers. Let it be for now. I just had one unit completed and uploaded to this same 3.133.76.19 Ohio server, so it seems ok and may upload your result eventually. 
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    We're also having some upload issues here as well. They will eventually get through, however frustrating it can be short-term to troubleshooting related issues.
    1TM said:
    I think we can do better!
    [edit: as of edit, we are already at 21. we can still do better]
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    @kmiller922I also have a GPU WU that's stuck trying to upload to the same server.... I don't have any suggestions, just empathizing, because... my points! :)
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I was just trying to make sure everything that can be done is. For me its become a personal battel against the virius. A Fellow firefighter lost his battle against it and also have had some friends that have tested positive and are in the hospital now. I've taken notice in the descriptions for each unit change as they are now trying diffrent methods of possiable entry to fight it and I just want to do everything I possiably can as a friend and fellow first responder. I only look at the points for the team not so much for myself. I'm lucky enough to be in a possition to start to consider what new video card i'm going to get but like always when i've done builds in the past it always seems to be the hardest part.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was just trying to make sure everything that can be done is. For me its become a personal battel against the virius. A Fellow firefighter lost his battle against it and alsohave had some friends that have tested positive and are in the hospital now. I've taken notice in the descriptions for each unit change as they are now trying diffrent methods of possiable entry to fight it and I just want to do everything I possiably can as a friend and fellow first responder. I only look at the points for the team not so much for myself. I'm lucky enough to be in a possition to start to consider what new video card i'm going to get but like always when i've done builds in the past it always seems to be the hardest part.
    Sorry for your loss. I recently lost someone to COVID within my extended family, so while I was making light of the situation, it IS a serious matter. I'm very appreciative of all the folks that have joined the fight by folding, whether that's with MicroCenterOfficial or another team. With as much social distancing and isolation that's going on, this is at least something that feels like we're being proactive and trying to do something to help.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Warning: What you are about to see may cause extreme discomfort or sheer amazement.

You might be asking yourself: "What in the world am I looking at?!". Well, let me explain...

This motherboard & CPU happens to be the very same components used in our Threadripper 3990X review. They sit atop an industrial grade foam, held to the chassis using only the finest zip ties on the market. To cool this monster, we opted for a 360mm AIO and special nano-fiber velcro ties. Since we are folding for team Micro Center, I opted for the blue. Lastly, we needed some monster graphics cards to fold with. I grabbed a couple 2080 Ti's and a 2080 Super and put them to work. So far, this configuration nets around 9M PPD according to the folding client, however I am looking to expand on the PSU to use another GPU. 

In all seriousness, if you want a similar setup, these open air "miner" chassis are phenomenal to work with. Helped improve my scoring by giving me some space in between the GPU's so I wasn't starving them for air. My clock speeds went from 1630mhz when constrained on airflow back up to 1900mhz boost clocks. My exact chassis and risers are listed below.

Chassis: https://www.microcenter.com/product/505935/kingwin-6-bay-miner-atx-open-air-gpu-case
    PCIe Extension Risers: https://www.microcenter.com/product/602666/bitspower-pci-express-x16-30

If you do go this route, use a normal ATX motherboard and a standard ATX power supply. My use of an EATX motherboard made this far more difficult than it needed to be, as none of the standoffs lined up, resulting in me insulating the metal frame with a thick piece of foam and zip tying the board down. My PSU, while the same width as a normal ATX PSU, is much longer. I would recommend going with a standard size and tying the cables up for a cleaner look. 

Either way, I've had a lot of fun working on this project and I am thankful that everyone else is pitching in too. If anyone was worried about their setup, hopefully this makes you feel better!
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    So I did finally pull the trigger and purchase a new viedo card, but not to worry my old one is still up and turning as I type.
    I was going to get the 2080 super but as it turned out the inventory file was incorrect how ever since I was already there they checked to see what they did have on hand at the store. I left with the Asus RTX 2080 TI Overclocked. So came home and moved a few things around in my case. Also processor is the I9-9900

As You can see I was lucky enough not to have to move a hole lot much to the credit of my case with the cable mainly ran to the back side to allow better airflow in the case. Now my 980 Ti card is just below the 2080 Ti and is working very smothly. Pardon the dust as my son decided to snap the picture just before I cleaned it.
  • TSMichaelB said:
    They sit atop an industrial grade foam, held to the chassis using only the finest zip ties on the market. To cool this monster, we opted for a 360mm AIO and special nano-fiber velcro ties.
    My use of an EATX motherboard made this far more difficult than it needed to be, as none of the standoffs lined up, resulting in me insulating the metal frame with a thick piece of foam and zip tying the board down. 
    This sounds like a passage from Linus' book in the making :D
    Everything is more official with zipties, though.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Don't forget the duct tape. That for when you need to attach a air conditioner to keep the temps a bit cooler.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Does anyone use the link to monitor other folding clients on one system instead of walking around to all of them?
    I know that I'm missing something stupid just can't think of what it is.
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Does anyone use the link to monitor other folding clients on one system instead of walking around to all of them?
    The internal advanced viewer is not so bad if they are on the same network. If they aren't....then yeah. Not so good.

I have a machine that has about a dozen of the important ones to watch. I don't miss having to run around and do the same thing on every machine. All I could hear in my head was..
    Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
    Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
  • Ryau- Wondering if you will be doing a another interview with Dr. Bowman?
     It might give everyone a boost to join in. And also a update on what's happening. Might need some more horsepower units.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I knew it was something stuip that i was doing wrong lol. Now the warp drive is working. It's always a tiny thing that you forget about that stops something from doing what you want.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    Did they change the update setting again on the page?
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryau- Wondering if you will be doing a another interview with Dr. Bowman?
     It might give everyone a boost to join in. And also a update on what's happening. Might need some more horsepower units.
    Dr Bowman is a busy man these days, but I agree, I'd love to chat with him again on progress and what new sites they might be targeting for folding projects - thanks for the suggestion.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    The MicroCenterOfficial team has now folded over 229,000 work units, scoring 3.6 Billion points and is now ranked #49! Such an amazing response and contribution by everyone, thank you all for participating and helping to grow the team. What an amazing first month of growth!

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    I'm in for the duration, had to take my one system down for a bit of a maintaince / cooling upgrade, wanted to make sure i didn't have any unexpected major issue that would knock me out for any length of time.
  • I'm addicted... I went and upgraded the power supply and GPU on my second computer yesterday.  I'll spare everyone the pictures though, no-one really needs to see my 17 year old Antec Super Lanboy case, or the even older ugly beige box my computers are in.  ;)
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I'm pretty sure I have the biggest supply i can get the Corsair AX1500I and honestly the best and most effecient one that I've ever owned. Right now I'm looking to get a case that would be able to hold two systems in it, Just trying to find them when they are in stock is the difficult part. When I do though I would be open to suggestions for the best way to go to set it up dedicated to doing this. I'm open to different system types Intel/AMD as well as best platform to run on. I know it's not done overnight by far especially if I go about doing it right.
  • RedJr55
    RedJr55 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    The internal advanced viewer is not so bad if they are on the same network. If they aren't....then yeah. Not so good.

I have a machine that has about a dozen of the important ones to watch. I don't miss having to run around and do the same thing on every machine. All I could hear in my head was..
    Okay, so what's the trick to add clients with Advanced Control?
    I click "add", name is the default "client0", entered the local IP address of the other machine,  default port "36330", no password, then saved.
    From that point, client0 stays at "Connecting".
    I also tried using Hostname instead of IP. Still no go..............
    Is there additional configuration for the remote client?
    There is a mesh node (wired backhaul, no WiFi) & a switch between the 2 machines, but both are on the same network.
    Fahclient is allowed on private networks in Windows Defender Firewall.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    RedJr55 said:

Okay, so what's the trick to add clients with Advanced Control?
    I click "add", name is the default "client0", entered the local IP address of the other machine,  default port "36330", no password, then saved.
    From that point, client0 stays at "Connecting".
    I also tried using Hostname instead of IP. Still no go..............
    Is there additional configuration for the remote client?
    There is a mesh node (wired backhaul, no WiFi) & a switch between the 2 machines, but both are on the same network.
    Fahclient is allowed on private networks in Windows Defender Firewall.
    in the ip address restriction section i have this and it worked
    127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0
    but the key is in your router management find the ip address for the one that your trying to control use that when you add client example 192.168.0.12 then the password you enter in above section of the ip restriction.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99