Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2020
    RedJr55 said:
    Does anyone use the link to monitor other folding clients on one system instead of walking around to all of them?
    I know that I'm missing something stupid just can't think of what it is.
    The internal advanced viewer is not so bad if they are on the same network. If they aren't....then yeah. Not so good.

I have a machine that has about a dozen of the important ones to watch. I don't miss having to run around and do the same thing on every machine. All I could hear in my head was..
    Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
    Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
    Okay, so what's the trick to add clients with Advanced Control?
    I click "add", name is the default "client0", entered the local IP address of the other machine,  default port "36330", no password, then saved.
    From that point, client0 stays at "Connecting".
    I also tried using Hostname instead of IP. Still no go..............
    Is there additional configuration for the remote client?
    There is a mesh node (wired backhaul, no WiFi) & a switch between the 2 machines, but both are on the same network.
    Fahclient is allowed on private networks in Windows Defender Firewall.
    on the system you trying to control in the remate tab: in the IP Address Restriction section in the allow line have the 127.0.0.1, then enter you router ip example of it reading as 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0

Then on the system you are going to add the control function to click the add client button. Make sure you know the local ip address for the system you want to control. example 192.168.0.24 enter that where it asks for the ip address for the client your adding. I also made sure I used a password just in case to make sure it connected correctly. Like i had said before its always the crazy little things that hang something up. I made the mistake of doing the whats my ip instead of looking in my router hense me doing something stupid from time to time. lol
  • RedJr55
    RedJr55 ✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic
    RedJr55 said:
    Does anyone use the link to monitor other folding clients on one system instead of walking around to all of them?
    I know that I'm missing something stupid just can't think of what it is.
    The internal advanced viewer is not so bad if they are on the same network. If they aren't....then yeah. Not so good.

I have a machine that has about a dozen of the important ones to watch. I don't miss having to run around and do the same thing on every machine. All I could hear in my head was..
    Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
    Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it
    Okay, so what's the trick to add clients with Advanced Control?
    I click "add", name is the default "client0", entered the local IP address of the other machine,  default port "36330", no password, then saved.
    From that point, client0 stays at "Connecting".
    I also tried using Hostname instead of IP. Still no go..............
    Is there additional configuration for the remote client?
    There is a mesh node (wired backhaul, no WiFi) & a switch between the 2 machines, but both are on the same network.
    Fahclient is allowed on private networks in Windows Defender Firewall.
    on the system you trying to control in the remate tab: in the IP Address Restriction section in the allow line have the 127.0.0.1, then enter you router ip example of it reading as 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.0

Then on the system you are going to add the control function to click the add client button. Make sure you know the local ip address for the system you want to control. example 192.168.0.24 enter that where it asks for the ip address for the client your adding. I also made sure I used a password just in case to make sure it connected correctly. Like i had said before its always the crazy little things that hang something up. I made the mistake of doing the whats my ip instead of looking in my router hense me doing something stupid from time to time. lol
    Thanks, I eeked my way through it after umpteen trips up & down the stairs between the 2 machines.
    One additional note, if the remote client is a Windows machine, it must be rebooted to restart the FAHControl.exe app which normally runs at Windows StartUp.............

• MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    I'm pretty sure I have the biggest supply i can get the Corsair AX1500I

:smile: There's always more! Just have to know where to look....I think we even carry the ax1600i and 1600t2 now.
    RedJr55 said:
    Thanks, I eeked my way through it after umpteen trips up & down the stairs between the 2 machines.
    One additional note, if the remote client is a Windows machine, it must be rebooted to restart the FAHControl.exe app which normally runs at Windows StartUp.............

Yeah, I generally give both fah and fahcontrol a restart after changing any settings.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure I have the biggest supply i can get the Corsair AX1500I

:smile: There's always more! Just have to know where to look....I think we even carry the ax1600i and 1600t2 now.

Ok I stand corrected, it was the bigest one 5 years ago lol
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    If you create a passkey, you can get a pretty massive boost in the amount of points gained while folding. For my system, I saw an increase of nearly 6x the points: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/. Definitely worth setting up.
    Quick question about the passkey when you get it and enter the passkey the points vanished. Any clue what will happen to the units and points i already completed all i added to the config was the passkey everything else is the same
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    If you create a passkey, you can get a pretty massive boost in the amount of points gained while folding. For my system, I saw an increase of nearly 6x the points: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/points/passkey/. Definitely worth setting up.
    Quick question about the passkey when you get it and enter the passkey the points vanished. Any clue what will happen to the units and points i already completed all i added to the config was the passkey everything else is the same
    They will still add up to your total that you had before. I had the exact same scare and was worried that I lost nearly 10M points, but they kept adding to that total. It just takes a while for everything to sync up.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    Hello, I dropped in looking for @1TM as he appears to be another lone-wolf on the f@h team.  I see now that most of the store 'teams' are thread-rippers, not an aggregate of individuals (true?).  That assumption was based on the number of WU.  It'll be 4 weeks on the MC team for me tomorrow.    
  • 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Hello, I dropped in looking for @1TM.    
    Hi @cine_chris, thank you for checking in on me. It appears I have been banned for no reason, and on the third day, unbanned. Chugging along with everyone on two oldish 1080 cards. I think there are more lone wolves, I am guessing @Yellowbillycat@wommwalsh and @victoracolin from the top 20.  @runlinux from the top 10 might be a group of individuals as they have multiple current IP addresses. I also started just over a month ago and then saw the MC email.

• MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I see now that most of the store 'teams' are thread-rippers, not an aggregate of individuals (true?).  That assumption was based on the number of WU.  It'll be 4 weeks on the MC team for me tomorrow.    
    I cannot speak for all teams, but not us! We've got a lot of individuals at our store supporting the cause. But, if you've got the threads, why not use them  :D It all goes towards a good purpose.
    Edit: Goodness, using an emoticon forces line spacing. Odd.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot speak for all teams, but not us! We've got a lot of individuals at our store supporting the cause. But, if you've got the threads, why not use them  :D It all goes towards a good purpose.
    @MightyMayfield , you guys are crushing it!! 
    It looks like an amazing job of organizing a concerted team effort.  I recall you being at 255M.  I'm a basement team of 1, that started with repurposed legacy gear & GPUs.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    You never know it might be a older style system from back in the day that finds the magic part to the puzzle.
  • 1TM said:
    Hello, I dropped in looking for @1TM.    
    Hi @cine_chris, thank you for checking in on me. It appears I have been banned for no reason, and on the third day, unbanned. Chugging along with everyone on two oldish 1080 cards. I think there are more lone wolves, I am guessing @Yellowbillycat@wommwalsh and @victoracolin from the top 20.  @runlinux from the top 10 might be a group of individuals as they have multiple current IP addresses. I also started just over a month ago and then saw the MC email.

Yup, Army of One here, as well.
    Running on hardware that was all bought at the Cambridge, MA Microcenter.
    (Well... except for the work laptop with a Quadro GPU that is slowly folding into a melted pile of plastic.)
  • Also,
    Can someone take Work Server 128.252.203.10 out and shoot it?  4 assignments in 4 days, all sit, failing to upload, until they expire.
    Always 128.252.203.10, every time.
    17:15:33:WU00:FS01:Uploading 33.37MiB to 128.252.203.10
    17:15:33:WU00:FS01:Connecting to 128.252.203.10:8080
    17:15:39:WU00:FS01:Upload 13.67%
    17:15:45:WU00:FS01:Upload 29.78%
    17:15:51:WU00:FS01:Upload 44.02%
    17:15:54:WARNING:WU00:FS01:Exception: Failed to send results to work server: Transfer failed
  • 1TM
    1TM ✭✭
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Comment
    Yellowbillycat said: Can someone take Work Server...
    PM'ed you the solution
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Same here just little ole me from Glenside, pa. Getting my gear from St. Davids store. Have my tower with two gpu's turning a 980 ti and a 2080 ti with a i9-9900 processor and a laptop with the 8th gen i9 and 1080ti mobile. Only time something is taken offline is for maintance and a few modifcations for better cooling. Just upgraded my tower cooling fans and changed my cpu cooler to a water cooling.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunatleyit seems now my 980Ti card has decided to go to the grave yard on me, so I'll have one unit that I think will end up failing. Will be trying to get a replacement to get another on up and running in its place.
  • Tramp78
    Tramp78 ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment
    Interesting that MightyMayfield has 714,655,907 points on 8,835 units while MicroCenter045 had 16,057 units but only 410,759,624 points. You would think 045 would pass Mayfield with units like that. 
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    Believe it or not I got lucky and a windows update fixed the issue and now its back up and running go figure.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    Tramp78 said:
    Interesting that MightyMayfield has 714,655,907 points on 8,835 units while MicroCenter045 had 16,057 units but only 410,759,624 points. You would think 045 would pass Mayfield with units like that. 
    If i remember correctly from a previous post he has a older server running the folding as well i forget what else he has but remember to make sure you do the passkey it makes a huge diffrence.
  • Ahh-wooooooo! (lone wolf howl from Minnesota)

My main ‘point’s getter’ is a i9-9980XE / GTX2060S whose parts came from the St. Louis Park store. It must do its day job – but is folding nights and weekends.

My previous ‘mothballed’ workstation (a 10-year-old Dell T7400 with a pair of Xeon E5430’s and GTX660Ti), a spare laptop (i7-6700HQ / GTX 970M), and an extra RX570 are running full time.

I started on April 3rd when I received the MC email. Mrs. Ahh-wooooooo just saw the electric bill from last month (+$55) and is lobbying to turn one of them off.

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    Wommwalsh said:

Ahh-wooooooo! (lone wolf howl from Minnesota)

My main ‘point’s getter’ is a i9-9980XE / GTX2060S whose parts came from the St. Louis Park store. It must do its day job – but is folding nights and weekends.

My previous ‘mothballed’ workstation (a 10-year-old Dell T7400 with a pair of Xeon E5430’s and GTX660Ti), a spare laptop (i7-6700HQ / GTX 970M), and an extra RX570 are running full time.

I started on April 3rd when I received the MC email. Mrs. Ahh-wooooooo just saw the electric bill from last month (+$55) and is lobbying to turn one of them off.

You could go solar or wind turbine lol
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Tramp78 said:
    Believe in the power of friendship Turing. Graphics cards have substantially more points returned per work unit even if they take longer to complete. Unfortunately, a lot of WU cannot be shared between GPUs and CPUs. So having a good mix of both is best for constant work when servers are stressed and can only spit out a few at a time.
  • Wommwalsh
    Wommwalsh ✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Wommwalsh said:

Ahh-wooooooo! (lone wolf howl from Minnesota)

You could go solar or wind turbine lol

Probably cheaper to build an energy efficient folder rather than install power generation infrastructure :smile:

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Congrats to @MightyMayfield for just squeezing into the top 1,000!

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    As well to the team for all the work we are now in 109th place for the team. Folding 268,246 WU's for a total points of 4,487,009,677 points as of 12:00pm CDT.
  • Well that's embarrassing. Power outage overnight leads to sadness.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled Covid crushing.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    It could be worse i had a internet, power outage right as i had left last week to pick up my new gpu. It took a while for them to remove the huge tree to replace all the wires.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    @MightyMayfield Even with your power outage your still crushing it. Congratz on top 1000's.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    @MightyMayfield Even with your power outage your still crushing it. Congratz on top 1000's.
    what he said.  Some of us squeezed into the top 10K too.

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    what he said.  Some of us squeezed into the top 10K too.

Yes indeed, I had some technical issues at first here so was a bit behind to the party. I'm getting there though. lol
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99