G.Skill Memory

What do you guys think about G.Skill desktop and laptop memory? It's funny how every memory kit I bought, it comes with a badge for advertising.

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    edited May 2020
    G.Skill has some pretty high quality memory available. Like with any manufacturer there are some kits that aren't "great" per se and others that are, but in general I'd say G.Skill is one of the better RAM manufacturers. 

Thankfully RAM is one of those things where it's not hard to find good kits from almost any manufacturer. 
  • Agreed. I am a Corsair, Kingston and Crucial lifelong customer for customer service and warranty. G.Skill was my recent addition and zero issues with compatibility. I am sure they have great support as well.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I've used G Skill for a very long time, back when their heatspreaders were so gaudy and made installing tower coolers an absolute chore. While I've had issues with their... aesthetic decisions, their performance was always a huge factor in my decision. It was not uncommon to buy a cheap DDR3 1333mhz G Skill kit and manually overclock it to 2400mhz with just 1.65V. Now with DDR4, G Skill appears to have some of the best access to Samsung's B Die memory, making them a very sought after brand on the high end. That, and they often have memory overclocking competitions to show off their insanely fast kits.

Nowadays I use a Patriot kit myself, mostly because of the aesthetics, but I still have all of my old G Skill kits as backups, even some from my DDR2 days. Despite me abusing my ram with aggressive overclocking, I've never had a single DIMM die on me, so G Skill gets my respect for durability. That, and the tame aesthetics of the Ripjaws V is worthy of some praise in a world dominated by RGB.
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    I'm a fan of G.Skill, currently running Trident Z DDR4-3600 CL16. Never had a problem with their products, but I'm not loyal to any manufacturer for memory. I do respect companies like Corsair for being a premium brand, offering a good product and service. However, with memory, it's always about finding out which models are using the best IC's, then you find the best deal that you can.

• Michael and Mike, thank you both for your input. I cannot count how many systems I have built but there was zero complaints with the manufacturers I chosen.  Yeah RGB isn't really my thing but I can always leave it at a static color. To me having too much light can ruin the looks. G.Skill Ripjaws V was used in several systems both Intel and AMD with no issue so they deserve a spot in my brand selections.
  • From what I've read, from googling and reading up about G. Skill its pretty much a high quality enthusiast level memory. That is pretty optimistic and most definitely fits most of the bells and whistles of a solid third party PC equipment in terms of being both reliably identified by many different Motherboards. To go along with being well balanced in terms of compatibility the G.Skill memory is also pretty good at being reliable/durable in terms of performance and lifespan as hardware. (As a side note I wouldn't say its the overall best but its quality made and reliable two things that might to the right customer justify such purchase.)

The only real cons from a customer stand point would be the outrageous RGB with some of G Skills build designs and the price can be a bit high tier if you start looking for ram above 3200 mhz. 
  • BubbleMax said:
    From what I've read, from googling and reading up about G. Skill its pretty much a high quality enthusiast level memory. That is pretty optimistic and most definitely fits most of the bells and whistles of a solid third party PC equipment in terms of being both reliably identified by many different Motherboards. To go along with being well balanced in terms of compatibility the G.Skill memory is also pretty good at being reliable/durable in terms of performance and lifespan as hardware. (As a side note I wouldn't say its the overall best but its quality made and reliable two things that might to the right customer justify such purchase.)

The only real cons from a customer stand point would be the outrageous RGB with some of G Skills build designs and the price can be a bit high tier if you start looking for ram above 3200 mhz. 

RGB is so overrated man. The only lighting I have in my case now is the motherboard lighting, GPU lighting and a rear 120mm exhaust fan. My system can be a show case since I have a side panel window but I build her to be my workstation and gaming machine. Not too long ago I purchased their Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz memory for a great price. I reserved a RTX 2070 Super that I am going to pickup tomorrow as well.
  • C0v3rt_X said:
    BubbleMax said:
    From what I've read, from googling and reading up about G. Skill its pretty much a high quality enthusiast level memory. That is pretty optimistic and most definitely fits most of the bells and whistles of a solid third party PC equipment in terms of being both reliably identified by many different Motherboards. To go along with being well balanced in terms of compatibility the G.Skill memory is also pretty good at being reliable/durable in terms of performance and lifespan as hardware. (As a side note I wouldn't say its the overall best but its quality made and reliable two things that might to the right customer justify such purchase.)

RGB is so overrated man. The only lighting I have in my case now is the motherboard lighting, GPU lighting and a rear 120mm exhaust fan. My system can be a show case since I have a side panel window but I build her to be my workstation and gaming machine. Not too long ago I purchased their Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz memory for a great price. I reserved a RTX 2070 Super that I am going to pickup tomorrow as well.
    Woah no need to attack me over my opinion I never ONCE said you HAVE to get RGB. I also said its "enthusiast" level RAM.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2020
    BubbleMax said:
    C0v3rt_X said:
    BubbleMax said:

Woah no need to attack me over my opinion I never ONCE said you HAVE to get RGB. I also said its "enthusiast" level RAM.
     I didn't perceive his response to be an attack, just an expression of his opinion as well. Text can be pretty tricky when conveying tone, but I wouldn't sweat it. You are correct in that RGB is typically seen as synonymous with "enthusiast" or "gamer-grade" components mostly due to recent marketing trends. Most of the older enthusiasts have grown quite tired of the trend, as we miss our dull, "neutral" color tones, but luckily most RGB hardware gives you the option to disable the lighting. When all else fails, there's always a dremel, lol.

Its also important to keep in mind that while brand names can be good for judging quality based on the history of their products, it's not always a simple comparison either. While a brand may have an extremely reliable halo/enthusiast tier product, their budget offerings may not be as reliable, or might be poorly reviewed in comparison. When I shop for memory, I pay less attention to brand names and more attention to the quality of the DRAM IC's themselves. Do they have Samsung B-Die, Micron E-Die, Hynix CJR? etc. Afterwards comes aesthetics, then pricing. This order will differ depending on your priorities.
  • BubbleMax said:
    C0v3rt_X said:
    BubbleMax said:

Not attacking you brother. I speak with a calm level head :)
  • C0v3rt_X said:
    BubbleMax said:
    C0v3rt_X said:
    BubbleMax said:

Not attacking you brother. I speak with a calm level head :)
    Just seemed a bit aggressive with the wording. Man 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99