Must-Have Peripherals for New PC Gamers

Options
This discussion has a more recent version.

So, you've just put together your first gaming PC. Or, maybe you picked up a prebuilt desktop or gaming laptop. And while that old, free mouse and keyboard served you well when you were learning the ropes, now they're just holding you back. It's time to upgrade your setup.

Modern, quality gaming equipment is, pun not intended, a game changer. Mechanical keyboards last longer and offer better feedback. Gaming mice offer a bevy of quality-of-life features and support your hand better for long sessions. Headsets are an absolute must-have for anyone gaming online, whether you're playing with friends or strangers. And that desk chair from the early 2000s has zero support anymore. So, from chairs to keyboards, our champions have picked out some of their favorite peripherals that they recommend to anyone looking to really get into gaming.

Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Brown by @Rye_Bread

Folks who purchase prebuilt machines are usually provided a rudimentary basic keyboard and mouse packed neatly into the box next to their new computer. These are merely meant to get you started (IE typing in your Microsoft account info and installing software) but don’t quite have the performance or durability to withstand hours of gaming. Sometimes they simply wear down quickly, other times they have slower response times and less comfortable buttons. Which inevitably leads to the thought: "I should get a mechanical keyboard."

Now, picking your first gaming keyboard can be daunting. There are so many options that narrowing it down can be a herculean task. And, even if you've put the time in and done your research, you might not know which one actually feels the best. My go-to recommendation for anyone looking to jump into mechanical keyboards is the Redragon K556, known colloquially as the Devarajas.

The Devarajas is the perfect option for someone’s first gaming keyboard. It has all of the features an aspiring PC gamer would want such as customizable RGB, mechanical switches, anti-ghosting, and customizable macro settings, all at a budget-friendly price. This keyboard uses brown switches which are—in my opinion—the most balanced of the switch options and a good way to wade into the complex world of mechanical keyboards. Brown switches provide a nice tactile feedback on each button stroke, letting the user know exactly when the key actuates, but aren’t quite as loud as their clicky counterparts. At a sub-$60 price point (on sale for $39.99 at time of writing!), the Devarajas let new gamers get a feel for the mechanical keyboard world without needing to dive headfirst into the deep end.

SteelSeries Arctis Nova 3 Multi-System Gaming Headset by @w8deywins

If you're getting into PC gaming and do not have a headset by now, I fully believe it should be a high-ranking priority. It’s going to revolutionize your online gaming experience. A lot of these new headsets, like those from SteelSeries, come with premium features but without the premium price tag! I have always been a fan of SteelSeries products. They have been around for a while and have been one of my go-to upgrades growing up. I have owned their gaming mice and mousepads, Xbox wireless headsets, and the Apex Pro keyboard.

That’s why I recommend the SteelSeries Arctis Nova 3, whether you're picking up your first gaming headset or upgrading your current one. The Nova 3s feel like one of the best headsets in the gaming industry! I fell in love with the ski-band design and never looked back on my other headsets. Not only do they focus on comfort, but it also delivers premium and crystal-clear bass with 360-degree spatial audio for a truly immersive experience. Coming in at just 253g, this headset sits gently on your head, never weighing you down and keeping that headset fatigue at bay. And of course, they included their PrismSync RGB to give you even more customization and dynamic in-game effects such as “low-health flashing effects”. I love seeing their reactive effects on my keyboard, it’s really neat and the additional, light alerts in my peripheral give me just the extra bit of alertness. To top things off, you can use these with almost anything that has a 3.5mm jack, including phones! And when all this comes in at under $100, it's an easy recommendation from me.

Steel Series Apex 3 Keyboards by @ricardo_ortega

When it comes to picking what keyboard to start with, there are many options to choose from as many different brands. When it comes to first-time keyboards, you want something that strikes the balance between price and reliability. You'll also want something that fits your lifestyle, in a very literal sense: full size or compact? No matter the situation, I will always recommend the SteelSeries Apex 3 gaming keyboards.

The Apex 3 has low-friction switches, offering a nearly-silent typing experience (so you won't drive your roommates nuts with constant clicking). Each key is rated for up to 20 million keypresses, keeping this keyboard at its peak for a long, long time. Not only is it durable, but it is also water resistant, to help protect you from any liquid spills. And, if you like a smaller keyboard, the Apex 3 comes in two sizes. There is, of course, the traditional full-size model. But, if you're a little bit tight on space or just like a cleaner aesthetic, the tenkeyless version has the same great features without a number pad. When you're finally ready for an upgrade, the Apex 5 has an LCD display for quick info on profiles, Discord messages, or even your favorite gifs!

Razer DeathAdder

Razer's DeathAdder is one of the most iconic mice in PC gaming. If you personally didn't own one, you probably know at least a few people who did. And for good reason! Coming in at $29.99, The DeathAdder isn't just a great introduction to the world of gaming mice, it's a great gaming mouse period, with long-time gamers replacing worn-out, years-old DeathAdders with yet another brand-new DeathAdder.

The DeathAdder is perhaps best known for its simple, ergonomic design, making it an easy-to-use entry point. It adds just two extra side buttons as a way for newcomers to get adjusted to multi-button mice without getting overwhelmed by a plethora of side buttons. But this isn't an entry-level mouse that's designed to be tossed after a few months of use. Each button is rated for up to 10 million clicks, ensuring that this is a mouse that you'll have for a while. Plus, at 6,400 DPI, you've got a mouse that is fast, responsive, and precise whether you're hard at work or working hard to secure that win.

MainGear Forma R Nero Gaming Chair by @Lambdaben

What could be more essential than a comfortable gaming chair to sit down and game for long periods of time? The Maingear FORMA R Nero gaming chair is a great choice for both comfort and support during those long gaming sessions, ensuring you can focus on your gameplay without any distractions. With its ergonomic design and adjustable features like 165-degree recline, full tilt capability, and 4D armrests, you can easily customize the chair to fit your unique preferences. Plus, the Maingear FORMA R Nero gaming chair is made with a foam-covered rigid tubular steel interior, aluminum base, and soft and supple leatherette that is durable and long-lasting. Whether you're a casual gamer or a pro, the Forma R Nero gaming chair is the perfect addition to your setup.

More from the Micro Center Community:

Looking for more great peripheral suggestions? We’ve got lots of guides and recommendations, like Upgrading Your Desktop Setup, Glorious Keyboard Reviews, and SteelSeries Recs! And if you can’t find what you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to post a new discussion and the Community will be happy to help!

Comments

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99