Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• @cine_chris do you know if there is a spreedsheet doc like the one you had posted before on the open/cl for the cuda? Just curious on what the diffrences is.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    @kmiller922
    Some of the lar.systems charts show it nicely
    https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_datasheet?gpu_model=tu106_geforce_rtx_2060_super
    Chart here:  https://foldingathome.org/2020/09/28/foldingathome-gets-cuda-support/  
    My Linux-CUDA-2070s runs 27.6% higher than the current lar.systems average, whereas the 2060s is only 10% higher, based on real #s logged on HFM. 

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    @cine_chris Thank you, I knew you were the right person to ask that question to.
  • Wishing you all a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Spotted this guy, moving up...  with a +563 for the week.  

• Phoenixx101 joined looks like 7 days ago. It's great to see new members joining the fight. Keep up the great work everyone.
  • Phoenixx101
    Phoenixx101 ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    Thats ME!!!!! I used to fold for PCMR and LTT back at the start of COVID with 2 Titan XP's but I sold them and bought a 2080 super ftw3 to step up to a 3090 ftw3. When I installed the 2080 I formatted and just completely forgot to reinstall folding@home. Last Saturday I ran up to the Mayfield Microcenter to do some xmas shopping for a buddy and get a new mouse for me, and saw the Monster in person MightyMayfield is an absolute unit! I realized after talking with one of the guys in the BYOC area, Dustin what's up!, that I ought to jump back in for the cause. I recently managed to get a 3090 actually through a checkout so I am now folding on a PNY xlr8 3090. I want to be able to run the 2080 at the same time but I just don't have enough PSU. The 1600 watt power supplies aren't cheap and I went way over hobby budget getting the PNY card while waiting for the EVGA card, so after my stepup completes (next year probably???? :( ) I will have to sell the PNY card. But 2 3090's would easily crack 10M PPD... Who knows maybe Santa brings me a 1600watt psu. The 750 seasonic titanium unit I have now has already tripped OCP and shutdown twice. The FTW3 3090 can pull much more power than the PNY unit so I'll have to do something about it sooner or later. Thats my desktop (the background is an in game shot I took in Horizon Zero Dawn) for verification lol My machine folds around 12-18 hours a day depending on how much I game and I've been playing a ton of Destiny 2 recently to get ready to do the new raid with some friends. I'm happy to join the cause with all you fine folks!
  • Thats ME!!!!! I used to fold for PCMR and LTT back at the start of COVID with 2 Titan XP's but I sold them and bought a 2080 super ftw3 to step up to a 3090 ftw3. When I installed the 2080 I formatted and just completely forgot to reinstall folding@home. Last Saturday I ran up to the Mayfield Microcenter to do some xmas shopping for a buddy and get a new mouse for me, and saw the Monster in person MightyMayfield is an absolute unit! I realized after talking with one of the guys in the BOYC area, Dustin what's up!, that I ought to jump back in for the cause. I recently managed to get a 3090 actually through a checkout so I am now folding on a PNY xlr8 3090. I want to be able to run the 2080 at the same time but I just don't have enough PSU. The 1600 watt power supplies aren't cheap and I went way over hobby budget getting the PNY card while waiting for the EVGA card, so after my stepup completes (next year probably???? :( ) I will have to sell the PNY card. But 2 3090's would easily crack 10M PPD... Who knows maybe Santa brings me a 1600watt psu. The 750 seasonic titanium unit I have now has already tripped OCP and shutdown twice. The FTW3 3090 can pull much more power than the PNY unit so I'll have to do something about it sooner or later. Thats my desktop (the background is an in game shot I took in Horizon Zero Dawn) for verification lol My machine folds around 12-18 hours a day depending on how much I game and I've been playing a ton of Destiny 2 recently to get ready to do the new raid with some friends. I'm happy to join the cause with all you fine folks!
    I'll tell him you said hi, and welcome to the team!
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    @Phoenixx101 Welcome to the team and now at least I'm not the only one that tends to go a bit over when getting gear lol. Also congratz on getting your hands on that card, they still hard to come by around my area. BTW love the backround imiage.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    @Phoenixx101 Welcome and thanks for joining the team, nice set up you have there!
  • @ryau thank you! Sadly my setup is less nice today. The 3090 is out and the 2080 is back in. Last night my system tripped OCP while I was sleeping. I barely had time to get the cards swapped and back folding before I left for work. My power supply just can't handle the 3090. I'm saving for a new one but the 3090 will probably be stuck on my shelf until at least after Xmas which is a huge bummer if there ever was one. I knew the 750 unit was cutting it close for gaming, seems it just can't take folding!
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
     I'm saving for a new one but the 3090 will probably be stuck on my shelf until at least after Xmas which is a huge bummer if there ever was one. I knew the 750 unit was cutting it close for gaming, seems it just can't take folding!
    You could try power capping it.  Afterbuner should be able to limit it to <75% power, save different profiles for Folding, Gaming, Work, etc.  But, the power supply might have issues too, so the conservative, safe choice is to pull it out. 
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
     I'm saving for a new one but the 3090 will probably be stuck on my shelf until at least after Xmas which is a huge bummer if there ever was one. I knew the 750 unit was cutting it close for gaming, seems it just can't take folding!
    You could try power capping it.  Afterbuner should be able to limit it to <75% power, save different profiles for Folding, Gaming, Work, etc.  But, the power supply might have issues too, so the conservative, safe choice is to pull it out. 
    Agreed! Another option is to limit or turn off CPU slots.
  • Phoenixx101
    Phoenixx101 ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper Photogenic First Comment
    edited November 2020
    I've poked at it since I got home from work. Though I used the 750 Seasonic unit for years without a hiccup including in a twin titan xp, 9900k 5.0ghz allcore build it doesn't seem to be happy with the 3090 no matter what I do. I have checked power consumption at the wall and the total system with monitor doesn't exceed 625 watts under full folding load so it has got to be a current spike tripping OCP sometimes when it unloads at the end of a work unit while the next one is loading up. Right now the 3090 is back in and I have "borrowed" the 850rmx out of my friends pc while he has my 750. I also let him use my 2080 until I have to send it in for stepup with the agreement that when he isn't gaming he folds for me. Right now I'm probably averaging 6M PPD with both cards running!
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2020

My precious foldies  :( Power is out at home too. This snowstorm is rough. Hope tomorrow fares better and everyone stays safe!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I replaced the broken 2080 in my office heater with 2 x 1080TIs, so we'll see how they do. Initially the F&A client saw them and assigned slots, but left them disabled. Updating nvidia drivers didn't help, but reinstalling 7.6.21 worked.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    @ryau Try accessing them with the web interface first... as weird as that sounds.   
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ryau Try accessing them with the web interface first... as weird as that sounds.   
    Thanks, I'll try that next time I change hardware. I'm running MSI afterburner to pull back on power, so hopefully I won't kill these as quickly :)
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Some of you might've seen some data I've shared.  I now have the FAH daily data being processed.   Most people likely don't realize that Ranks in folding can move at a high rate.  I now have that data automated.  If you want a big #, the Top 25 Rank, is moving at 160M PPD.  I'll attach a screen shot. The rates shown are a 7 day average rate.  I'm finally seeing the Top500 rate slowing as the April Surge Bubble is moving into the Top 400.  Top500 is my current target.

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Sorry for the absence had a contractor rip my fiber-op line right out of the house and almost took off the connection on the pole. Now back up and running once again.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the absence had a contractor rip my fiber-op line right out of the house and almost took off the connection on the pole. Now back up and running once again.
    Glad you're back online!

I was just telling my wife the other day how often this occurs...
  • ryau said:
    Glad you're back online!
    Here in Pennsylvinia they are now taking legal action against companies that don't do their one calls and cause damage. I deal with it all the time at work. Even worse part is they never reported the damage so now I have to goto the hearing when it happens with all the photos and documents that go with it. not only against the contractor that did the damage but Verizon as well they have a time limit of 2 hours to respond on a damage ticket. So Let the paperwork fly. 
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see our active folders > 300 again.   
    Got my first fAH tracking database loaded today ~4.4 M records in 50 sec on my #2 folder doing ~5M PPD.  Not a straight forward process as the data requires some scrubbing.  In addition to the usual user-team metric, I'm looking at combined user data to see what the the totals are.  Anonymous will show a substantially higher points total for the >4K anonymous records.  A ton of overhead in dealing with their far-less than ideal data structure as you're forced to deal with sifting out ~70K records from 2.4M everyday.  
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryau said:
    Glad you're back online!
    Here in Pennsylvinia they are now taking legal action against companies that don't do their one calls and cause damage. I deal with it all the time at work. Even worse part is they never reported the damage so now I have to goto the hearing when it happens with all the photos and documents that go with it. not only against the contractor that did the damage but Verizon as well they have a time limit of 2 hours to respond on a damage ticket. So Let the paperwork fly. 
    That's annoying, hope the case goes smoothly for you, as much as it can. You'd think that them not reporting the damage would work in your favor.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my first fAH tracking database loaded today ~4.4 M records in 50 sec on my #2 folder doing ~5M PPD.  Not a straight forward process as the data requires some scrubbing.  In addition to the usual user-team metric, I'm looking at combined user data to see what the the totals are.  Anonymous will show a substantially higher points total for the >4K anonymous records.  A ton of overhead in dealing with their far-less than ideal data structure as you're forced to deal with sifting out ~70K records from 2.4M everyday.  
    That sounds a lot like work to me! :smile:
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    ryau said:
    That sounds a lot like work to me! :smile:
    Python-Pandas does some amazing stuff.  It's data science magic! 
    Python is driving much of everything in data science & AI now, I guess.  15 years ago it was just another scripting language.  

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Managed to hit the Top150 spot today & should hit 600 Rank tomorrow.  I take more pride in the Top150 mark as I've optimized my gear & efficiency... it's the same gear that I was sub-200 mark with, in June.  Now if I could just get some of that new RTX 3000 gear.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Managed to hit the Top150 spot today & should hit 600 Rank tomorrow.  I take more pride in the Top150 mark as I've optimized my gear & efficiency... it's the same gear that I was sub-200 mark with, in June.  Now if I could just get some of that new RTX 3000 gear.

Congrats, that's great! There are rumors that supply will be better in the new year, but there are still lines outside our stores every day. 
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    ryau said:
      Congrats, that's great! There are rumors that supply will be better in the new year, but there are still lines outside our stores every day. 
    Our store here at St. David's is great for accesorries but gear goes out as fast as it comes in if not faster. Hope with the new year things get restocked before raided. LOL
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our store here at St. David's is great for accesorries but gear goes out as fast as it comes in if not faster. Hope with the new year things get restocked before raided. LOL
    Right there with you! 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99