Had to reset my bios last night on G436. Now performance is lacking

2»

Comments

• Is that the same as running ddu in safe mode? 
  • Had to run an errand will try that in about an hour when I get home
  • I uninstalled the GPU like you instructed me to, rebooted and then played cyberpunk. No higher than 80 fps, but no longer dipping into the 40's and below. Improvement I guess.

Insurgency was running at 70 on ultra, 100ish on High settings. Overall I feel like I am SO close to being where I was when I first got the PC. So damn close.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes

My apologies for the late response, I left the office for the evening and ran into some PC issues of my own (leak in my custom loop). Couldn't get it resolved by the end of the night either which was a bit of a bummer, but I am here now. Looking over the previous posts, it looks like you may have been able to get the XMP profile to load. Just to double check that to be certain, can you get me a screenshot of the Memory Tab & SPD tab of your CPU-Z application? I want to make sure the primary timings are matching what should be loading with that memory.

@TSDavey walked you through reinstalling the GPU driver which is great as that rules out any weird complications on that end. Once we get confirmation on the memory speed, we can move on with other areas from there.

• OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT
    edited March 2021

I simply clicked "uninstall" on the gpu in hardware manager as instructed, havent installed/reinstalled any drivers. I am now begininng to wonder if the March 16th driver update form Geforce app might have something to do with it. I am not at home, but I will be around 630-7 pm ET. I will upload the screen shots from there. One thing I have noticed with this BIOS on the MSI board, is that is VERY unforgiving and it doesn't seem to do what you tell it to. Like the initial problem, I never clicked on any values or changed anything and it said I did. That I found odd, but regardless once this is fixed, I have no plans to even think about the BIOS until I absolutely have to. And then last night i changed xmp from disabled, to enabled, went to hit f10 to save changes and exit then it tells me no changes had been made. Just odd

Hope you get your watercooling issue resolved, I do not think I have the guts to ever do a custom hardloop. I will stick to AIO's. I have a real OCD about that kind of stuff I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with all that tubing in my PC. 😅

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭

That might explain the performance issues, you'll definitely need to reinstall the latest driver after running DDU. I also agree with you on the BIOS, it's why we try to customize them right the first time as they can be finicky to deal with. My board at home is also an MSI board (B550 Unify X) and it has... quirks. If I manually overclock my memory under the OC section, settings under AMD's CBS sub-menu won't change with my overclock settings, so I have to change them manually or else I won't post. I love the board, but these quirks can definitely be frustrating to work through. The things we do for performance, lol.

As for my loop, I am hoping to get to the bottom of it. I have a small hand-pump that lets me pressurize the loop to find leaks. It's not leaking anywhere in the front of the loop which is good, as it means all of my various blocks are fine, but something in the back is leaking, likely an o-ring near one of my radiators. Leaks are not common, but I built this loop in a hurry and it's possible I didn't chamfer the tubing as nicely as I should have, so I get to pay the price now.

Either way, I hope that I can get my problem solved by then so I can be on in time to answer any questions you may have. If not, I'll see if I can find time to check the forum from my phone every now and then.

• Oh, lemme clarify, i think i mispoke. After resetting the bios the other night, I updated the drivers to the 3/16/2021 version. The performance issues came after that. Last night i made sure xmp was enabled, and "uninstalled the gpu" but didnt check for drivers because he instructed me to "not delete the drivers". I assumed the most current drivers are still there. I checked the drivers status in hardware manager and according to windows i had the best/latest driver installed. I will double check with NVIDIA on their site and app tonight when I get home.

Also, if you're on discord I can shoot you a DM if that's more convenient.

• Also, i appreciate this help, from both of you. I full heartedly screwed this one up lol.

• @OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT just chiming in. @TSMichaelB may have another option that I'm not thinking of. But if the Powerspec is still having FPS issues, than it may be best to bring the Powerspec to the store to have it serviced. Just another alternative to think about doing.

• That is my final resort, as Microcenter is an hour away. I do have the latest nvidia drivers installed, I just checked.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries, we still have some work to do before we resort to that option. Let's start by going back into the BIOS and loading optimized default settings. Load XMP once more, and press F10 to save & exit. This will verify that nothing remained after the initial CMOS battery clear. Once we get back into Windows, I'll need a screenshot of the Memory & SPD screens of your CPU-Z application to make sure the memory XMP loaded correctly and that the timings are correct.

From there, we need to determine exactly why your system isn't performing as expected. The easiest way to do this is with monitoring software such as MSI Afterburner + Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS). Here is a quick guide on how to setup the on-screen display with MSI Afterburner & RTSS: https://community.microcenter.com/kb/articles/73-how-to-install-enable-on-screen-display-in-msi-afterburner-rtss.

You can enable monitoring for GPU usage, CPU usage, memory usage, FPS, etc. This will help us better understand if a specific component is bottlenecking the system based on utilization and tell us where to better focus our attention. It will also allow you to monitor the clock speeds of your CPU/GPU to make sure the boost values are operating as designed.

Once we gather that information, we will be better poised to tackle what's going on here. Given that you didn't really change anything with the system, it shouldn't be all that difficult to get it back to where it was, we just need to get back to the basics a bit.

• I'll try and get on that tonight, have a few errands to run and some pubg with the boys but if I can't get to it tonight I'll get on it first thing in the morning. Thanks
  • Hello, sorry its been a very busy week for me, have barely had time to get on the computer. I am about to do what you instructed, but i can not view the hyperlink you posted, says i "do not have permission" or something to that extent.

• I loaded optimized defaults, enabled XMP. Upon exiting with f10, a message came up about disabling/enabling fast boot, and something about CMP --> UEFI.

No idea what it means.

• @OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT just chiming in as I'm on Forum responses around this time. @TSMichaelB will also have a chance to follow up when he's back in the office. The disabling message is just normal when running the the CPU-Z program. Your screen shot shows your memory is running at 1600mhz under Timings > DRAM frequency. DDR or Double Data Rate, you double the 1600, you get 3200 mhz, Its not going to show you there as 3200 mhz its just how this program is translating the speed. The ram is fine.

Were you able to download, install and run the MSI afterburner program @TSMichaelB had suggested? That tool should be able to give us some data and statistics on your GPU and its operating current frame rate.

Look back at his steps and try them and share your results.

• I already had afterburner installed, it might have been the first thing i downloaded after buying the computer lol. I just set up the OSD using afterburner and RTSS like Michael instructed me to. Should I be making a video clip? I don't know how you would like to monitor things on your end

• @OhGodIThinkIBrokeIT I'm about to leave. Another rep may be on shortly for Forum responses. But do screenshots or do a video clip. You could put 2-3 screenshots into Word, save it and then paste each screenshot to this post. Or you could just post your video clip. I'd recommend to do both so we have clear picture of how the afterburner is monitoring your GPU.

But again you can do either or, you don't have to do both.

• I will post some screenshots/recordings and just leave them here for you and Michael to look at tomorrow. I'm in no rush, as I truly appreciate the help being given.

• i recording about 25 minutes of cyberpunk gameplay. Saw dips all the way down to 30 fps. I recorded it with the afterburner overlay on, but when i uploaded it through GEforce experience to youtube it uploaded in super low resolution (360p) so tonight I will upload to OneDrive.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything here looks normal, definitely confirms XMP has been loaded correctly. A DRAM frequency of 1600mhz = 3200mhz effective (double data rate) and those primary timings are exactly what we should be seeing.

Just a quick question, are you running through the same areas of the game each time or using an integrated benchmarking tool? It's also possible that different areas of the game will hit your hardware differently and result in differences in performance. Some areas can be densely populated or have intense physics that hit the CPU really hard which can bottleneck the GPU. Having the data from Afterburner/RTSS could help us determine if this is happening, so if we can see that data, we can figure out what is going on here.

• I was FINALLY able to upload the cyberpunk clip. Youtube was absolutely not having it, so i uploaded it to one drive. I hope it works for you.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that video, that is definitely helpful to better understand what is going on here.

I wanted to show one very specific part that I noticed:

This was around the 16:55 mark of the video, and was by far the worst dip I was able to see.

Looking at the resource usage, none of your individual CPU threads peaked at 100%, meaning we know that the engine itself wasn't bound by a single thread during this scene. We also see that the GPU is still pegged at 99% usage and boosting to 2085mhz, meaning it's utilizing all of the GPU core resources that the card has available to it and isn't thermal throttling as indicated by the GPU thermals and boost behavior. You are using 13GB of system memory in a system that ships with 32GB, meaning you have plenty of memory overhead left over before swapping to your drive, so we know that isn't the limiting factor here.

So this begs the question, what can cause a frame dip in a situation where a GPU is being 100% utilized and the CPU/memory utilization isn't abnormal? For this title in particular, it's likely going to be a bottleneck in the RT cores. You had RayTracing enabled at medium settings and most of the performance dips occurred when entering vehicles where traditional path lighting effects were occurring from the interior on top of the ray tracing effects occurring from the exterior to light the scene. This is likely extremely expensive in terms of computational resources for those RT cores. This is further aided by the fact that your performance saw a significant uplift when you adjusted DLSS to Performance, making use of those Tensor cores, alleviating some of that computational burden.

It doesn't explain why you were seeing higher numbers before tinkering with the BIOS from earlier, unless you are playing entirely different parts of the game. If that is true, we may need to simulate an earlier save and try to run through earlier parts to see if we can mimic a similar environment in-game to what you were playing before you made your BIOS adjustments and see if the performance matches up.

I just don't see anything out of the ordinary based on the resource usage, as nothing appears to be bottlenecking the GPU unless the CPU clock speed is dipping, as that is the only sensor I do not see monitored throughout the run, but given the usage is quite low, that shouldn't make much of a difference either way. Not sure if CD Project Red's engine scales all that well with CPU frequency in the first place.

• I appreciate you actually taking the time to do some damn good investigation there. I can live with that answer, and luckily I have finished CP2077 for now. I also noticed a setting in the nvidia app to set performance to normal, or "performance" mode and during games will use performance mode. It seems to help a little. I will possibly post gameplay from a different game another time, see if you notice anything else, totally optional by the way I do not expect it.

The only other issue(s) I have lingering, by the way are minor, but interesting nonetheless.

1. some times upon start up (not from sleep mode, but after a full shut down), I will power on, everything lights up, fans start spinning for a few seconds, and then it turns off. 3-5 seconds later, it powers itself back on. Occasionally, I will get a "no signal found" message on my monitor, and have to hit the power button and then turn it back on again which will then cause it to boot up normally. Never happened prior to the absolute buffoonery i committed in bios on that one very dumb night lol.
    2. Gpu idle temp is higher than normal (with or without the aforemention "performance mode setting" on. It idles at 50-57 Celsius, which is definitely new it used to idle at 35ish. I do not have any voltage settings changed. I have not noticed a rise in temps under load, but then again i havent been playing much the last week.
    3. Rattling/ticking from something inside the case. I immediately suspected it was the CM aio, as it is a v1 and kinda common, but couldn't pin point it so I will keep an eye (or ear) on it and see if it gets worst. Could also be one of the case fans, but im not sure, nor am i too worried.
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. This one sounds like an odd memory training issue. Typically when your memory trains, it attempts to reboot the system 1-3 times until it likes the timing combination or times out. The fact that it stops doing so and returns no video signal is definitely odd. The next time you encounter this, try powering down completely, pulling the power cable from the system, then holding the power button down for 60 seconds. This will drain any residual power from the capacitors in the system (including the memory) and plug it back in and power back on. See if it ever occurs again.
    2. Can you confirm if the fans are spinning during idle? On these modern cards, their stock fan curve is designed not to spin until the cards reach roughly 60C. It's odd that you were able to idle in the low-30's before as any sort of 3D load, even mundane HTML videos on Youtube would cause the GPU to work so long as Hardware Acceleration is enabled for your browser. You can always use MSI Afterburner to impose a very low fan speed at idle to keep those temps down, though it really doesn't matter as long as the load temps look good (and based on your previous video, I'd say they look great).
    3. This sounds like air may have found its way into the pump chamber causing cavitation or that the pump may be running dry completely. Definitely keep an eye on your CPU temps and if they exceed 85C under gaming load across all cores, it would be worth bringing in for diagnostics under warranty. This is assuming the CPU hasn't been overclocked and that voltage is still on stock/auto. Overclocking will definitely exceed this temp threshold. If you are comfortable trying to fix this yourself, you can remove the radiator from the top of the chassis, sit the system down on its side, and hold the rad up until the tubes are perfectly straight towards the pump. Tilt the radiator sideways 90 degrees to work the fluid back down into the pump chamber and to get the air back up into the radiator. There is typically a recessed chamber on the radiator where the excess air is stored, and the goal is to get the air back into that location. The biggest problem with shipping AIO's in general is that depending on how they are handled, air can often find its way into the pump before the system is powered on, and it's very difficult for the low-pressure AIO pumps to work the air out on its own unlike that of your DDC or D5 custom loop pumps.

Here is a video somewhat demonstrating that process:

NOTE: This is for Asetek pumps (Cooler Master does not use Asetek pumps in their AIO) however the principles are the same for ALL AIO pumps as the limitations imposed by physics is the same throughout all designs.

I hope this helps!

• Ok the pump sound in the video is definitely not what im hearing, so I'm a bit relieved. GPU fans are spinning as it sits here at 58 celcius, stock fan curve. I took the side panel off yesterday and it dropped down to like 39ish, which makes me wonder if its just an airflow issue. No idea how to adjust the case fans, I'll be honest. I have been looking at cases with better airflow, because summer nights can get warm here, especially during gaming marathons. Would the z490 on this g436 fit standard motherboard standoffs? I am looking at the Coolermaster 5000d airflow.

• PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that the cards thermals are that high at idle while the fans are spinning, yet your temps & boost clock speeds looked fantastic during that gaming video you sent. Were you gaming with the side panel off during that video?

As for the chassis, this board is a standard ATX board and will fit in any chassis that supports standard ATX size motherboards. The Corsair 5000D Airflow would indeed be compatible, just make sure you hold on to your original chassis should you need any warranty claims as it will be needed in the event an issue arises.

• I was playing cyberpunk with the panel on. Its weird because during regular browsing, youtube watching or anything with low demand, it sits around 57-60, but when gaming has only gone over 78 once. And that one instant was probably due to the game called Deadside being horribly optimized, and i was running everything on Ultra.

• I swapped everything into an 011 Dynamic. New 360 aio, seasonic focus gx850 including running individual power cables to the gpu, and the GPU temps are ice cold. Before, youtubing, and general browsing had it at 58-60, now it is 38. Love this case and how the pc came out!

When switching the CPU cooler, I had to take the cpu out of the socket, as whoever built it was fairly generous with the thermal paste though.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99