Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    I've suffered the same fate as YBC, 1st floor HVAC failure.
  • Maybe we should start carrying AC units.
  • no HVAC failures here, but I did have to lower the power limit on my graphics cards for a couple of days when the temps here were in the upper 80s
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    Maybe some type of a discount for repairs with some repair companies for folders to be able to keep things turning might help.
    Just a thought.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    We have made it to the 8 billion point mark for the team keep up the great work!!
  • MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2020
    Maybe some type of a discount for repairs with some repair companies for folders to be able to keep things turning might help.
    Just a thought.
    Proving the damage related to folding as opposed to wear and tear or mining would be near impossible unless someone has a crystal ball out there. I'll try to think of something though  ;)
    Actually had a bit of dropping off in folding at our store. Got to think of a new way to motivate people.
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    Actually had a bit of dropping off in folding at our store. Got to think of a new way to motivate people.
    It isn't just MC.  We are down on CPU's and GPU's showing only 2.04 exaflops, down from 2.41.
    Nora O'Donnell of CBS put her phone number for texting on the air and wants to hear from people.
    How about we all Text 202-217-1107 today and remind her about FAH and how MC is contributing to it.
    If 1000 people send her messages today maybe it would break through her filtering software since they are
    always running positive stories at the end of the nightly CBS news broadcast.

Then we email CNN and BBC and other major news outlets around the world the broadcast link and ask them
    why they aren't covering this.

Grass roots social activism using the media as a springboard.

The important thing is the message you send. 

1.    Tell YOUR story
            2.    Mention your TEAM
            3.    Tell them WHY fah is important from your perspective
            4.    Keep it reasonably short

Here is mine:

Hello Ms. O'Donnell
    My name is [your name here] and I have been part of a project to fight Covid-19.  I became involved with it
    after seeing a sign in a Micro Center store, where I buy computer parts.  It's called Folding@Home.
    Run by the University of Washington they are researching the ways Covid-19 works and if there is
    a way to break it.  They do this by using tens of thousands of computers across the planet to make
    a "Distributed Computing Network" making it more powerful than the top 120 supercomputers on
    earth.  The best part is everyone can contribute.  I am part of the 'Micro Center Official' team.  There are
    hundreds of other teams to join.

More information can be found at https://foldingathome.org

Working together we are helping to defeat Covid-19 by loading a simple piece of software and
    letting it do the work.  Thought you would want to know.

[Your name here]

I'm just a geek with computers.  Think you could do this?

Kirito
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    @MightyMayfield we deffenitly need some type of a pr boost publication to general public somehow not sure how though.
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    Scan up one post
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    yeah mine updated right after the post lol
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    @kirito it sounds like you have a bit of experience in the field maybe you should take the lead on the pr side.
    Should we all send the message at a certain time?
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Linus Tech Tips (YouTube) has assembled a massive team.  153k CPU active.  I'd be down 9 pages on their team, 16 pages on folding@EVGA.  Overclockers has an incredible folding web presence and Fold-a-thon events.  PPDs, ranking, teams add an element of gaming to an otherwise endeavor as exciting as watching grass (weeds, my lawn) grow.  There is one glaring fail here, it's MC not recognizing it as a large (huge?) market akin to gaming that could also be a PR win, if their marketing people didn't have their heads focused elsewhere.   I've purchased 2ea RTX2060, 2ea GTX1660 & built a new AMD Ryzen 5 system this year, zero $ on gaming.  There's so much that could be done.  Type 'folding' into a youTube search & watch what comes up.  My MC store has a zero folding presence, of course, I haven't walked through the store recently.  All that said, it's good to be on a smaller team & NOT be on pg-Down 22x  :)  
  • Yep, same here... before F@H, the only "worthy" graphics card I had was 1 GTX 1060.  This spring I've bought 2 GTX 1660 and a GTX 1650, all from MicroCenter of course :smiley:
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    If everyone sent the message above I described at various times between Sunday noon and Tuesday noon, not just cut and paste but really tell your own story, it has the potential to get beyond whatever filtering algorithm these news outlets may use.  Start with the CBS text number for Norah O'Donnell 202-217-1107. 

Then send the same message to the following news outlets in sequence:
    CNN:                          cnn.feedback@cnn.com or community@cnn.com
    BBC:                           newswatch@bbc.co.uk.
    ABC:                           news.tips@abc.com
    NBC:                           executive.editor@nbcuni.com, Tim.Perone@nbcuni.com, nightly@nbcuni.com, Jason.Abbruzzese@nbcuni.com
    CBS:                           evening@cbsnews.com
    FOX:                           https://help.foxnews.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000485774
    AP:                              https://www.ap.org/contact-us/contact-newsroom
    Reuters:                      https://reuters.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Japan Times:               https://www.japantimes.co.jp/contact-us/
    Asahi Shimbun:           kouhou@asahi.com
    LA Times:                     tips@latimes.com
    NY Times:                     nytnews@nytimes.com
    Chicago Tribune:          gm@chicagotribune.com
    KHOU-11 Houston:      https://www.khou.com/contact-us
    Guardian (UK)              international@theguardian.com or national@theguardian.com
    The Australian:             digital@theaustralian.com.au or world@theaustralian.com.au
    Korean Herald:            khnews@heraldcorp.com
    The Local Intl.:             news@thelocal.es (Spain)

The rest is up to everyone else.  If everyone contributes it could contribute greatly.
    The question now is how many read this forum?  How do we expand this beyond the forum here?

Kirito

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    @MightyMayfield a big congratz on top 500!!
  • @MightyMayfield a big congratz on top 500!!
    Thank you! I think (hope) our firewall issues are resolved. Back to pulling 4m+ every update instead of around 1.5m. Still looks like the team number of active folders is dropping though. Sad face.
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    Congratulations on the top 500 placement.  497 to go!
    Kirito
  • Kirito said:
    Congratulations on the top 500 placement.  497 to go!
    Kirito
    Ha. If we ever became the number one folding user I would be extremely worried about what happened to everyone else  :D
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    Hey folks, can someone help me get the word out.  We are now below 2.00 exabytes in total folding power.  Can someone send messages like I suggested in the May 31st post? 

Thank you

Kirito
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Kirito said:
    Hey folks, can someone help me get the word out.  We are now below 2.00 exabytes in total folding power.  Can someone send messages like I suggested in the May 31st post? 
    Thank you
    Kirito
    I don't think these numbers are a cause for alarm, they're still HUGE. 
    Also, the data needs to be analyzed and digested by researchers.  Is this the real bottleneck? 
    Remember, F@H got to these levels 'over-night', going from 30,000 in Feb to 400,000 in March.  I'm part of the 300,000 that followed.    
    My concern is throwing more GPUs into the fray might not hasten anything, when trained researchers aren't available to analyze & work with the data.   
    The biggest complaint I've seen is slots waiting for WUs.  If they can't keep the currently available systems fed, let's give them time to catch up and make good use of people's efforts.   
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/how-the-pandemic-revived-a-distributed-computing-project-and-made-history/
  • Kirito
    Kirito ✭✭
    I don't think these numbers are a cause for alarm, they're still HUGE. 
    Also, the data needs to be analyzed and digested by researchers.  Is this the real bottleneck? 
    Remember, F@H got to these levels 'over-night', going from 30,000 in Feb to 400,000 in March.  I'm part of the 300,000 that followed.    
    My concern is throwing more GPUs into the fray might not hasten anything, when trained researchers aren't available to analyze & work with the data.   
    The biggest complaint I've seen is slots waiting for WUs.  If they can't keep the currently available systems fed, let's give them time to catch up and make good use of people's efforts.   
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/how-the-pandemic-revived-a-distributed-computing-project-and-made-history/
    I presumed they had separate computers taking work units received and crunching them against other solutions, secondary and tertiary WU's.  I would also like to think they were tasking out some of this work to other places.  That may just be wishful thinking on my part but I would like to think they have a Big Data manager coordinating all this stuff.  Maybe not.

My father had been in the SETI project, but wasn't really an avid computer user.  Just wanted to prove I was an alien I suspect.
    Nice to know we are still doing better than before.

Kirito
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Had a couple days of faulty downloads.  Looks like that has been corrected, didn't change anything on my end.  Struggling to maintain my Top5K & hit 2KWUs.  The HVAC replacement is probably a week away.  I have a power meter now which has shown significant power saving & PPD efficiency with 75% power caps on the Nvidia GPUs. 

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Metrics for Nvidia Power Capping on the 1st system with a !660 & 2060 super showed an overall system 19.6% power reduction.  The 2060 is still producing good PPD#s at the reduced pwr level.  At the PPD below (high range) this 2060 super GPU is yielding an exceptionally high 11.04K PPD/watt.  For comparison, an i7-7800x  CPU is yielding 0.68K PPD/watt.  Yes, I'm a retired engineer.  LOL.

• kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    For your racing pleasure there's a tight battle going on for places 15-19
  • I’ll be giving up my place (currently 15) soon. I plan on scaling back once I reach 100M due to the energy cost of the computers (last month’s bill was 2X normal) and the additional energy consumption when we switch to ‘summertime hvac posture’. I’m going to purchase a wattmeter and continue folding with whichever 1 (or 2) computers show the least consumption but that will certainly drop my average daily points. Have at it 16-19 😊

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Ryzen 3000 temp issue for F@H.  I was shocked to find my Ryzen 5 3600x folding at 87C, that's with a Noctura HS too.  tl;dr I used the Thermal Max BIOS settings to effectively set the temp  I wanted.  LESSON LEARNED: Don't trust AMD & MOBO Mfg to operate these CPUs
    at moderate temperatures.  Not sure what they throttle to regulate the MaxTemp, CPU speed was ~3.8 GHz, down from the core multiplier I set 40, or 4GHz.    Set to 70Cmax it was a very stable 69C.  NOTE: running the Cinebench benchmark wasn't as intense as F@H !!
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    We just hit half a million work units! Awesome job folks! 
  • ryau said:
    Almost 10 billion points to boot as well! We'll have to come up with a way to keep people interested, though. Looks like our active numbers are dropping off fairly quickly. Stores can provide stability but the majority of our points come from individual donors!
    I also see secretlab doing some points over there >.>
  • PowerSpec_MichaelB
    PowerSpec_MichaelB ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Answer 5 Insightfuls First Comment 5 Awesomes
    ryau said:
    Almost 10 billion points to boot as well! We'll have to come up with a way to keep people interested, though. Looks like our active numbers are dropping off fairly quickly. Stores can provide stability but the majority of our points come from individual donors!
    I also see secretlab doing some points over there >.>
    I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of this "secret lab", nor can I confirm the number of points it may or may not have as that information is classified.

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    @TSMichaelB Gamers Nexus mentions MC in the same sentence with Amazon!  If AMD hasn't coped with the CV-19 delivery logistics, then the irony becomes Intel flooding shelves with hardware.    I suspect most folks are willing to buy Intel anyway.  I was thinking AMD shifted into B550 production too early  & the stimulus checks exhausted current PC hdwr stock?  Guess we'll know soon...  with TSMC dumping Huawei, I wonder if they're delivering Intel 7um CPU samples???

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99