How to Boost Your WiFi Signal

This discussion has a more recent version.
TS_JosephF
TS_JosephF admin
Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer
edited June 2021 in Networking

Looking to extend your wireless signal or eliminate WiFi dead zones around your home? Maybe you just want to extend the WiFi signal to your office at the far end of your home, or you would like to extend the signal all through your backyard. Either way, this guide will explain the different ways you can extend the WiFi signal inside or outside of your home or business.

There are many different devices that you can use such as wireless repeaters, signal boosters, and antennas. Each of these devices will offer different features and will be set up a bit differently.

Table of Contents
What’s a WiFi extender?
What’s a Mesh Router?
What’s an Access Point?
What is best for me?

Products
WiFi Extenders
Mesh Routers
High-Speed Mesh Routers
Access Points

Updated: 7/6/2020
Prices are subject to change

Comments

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

What’s a WiFi extender?

Now, if you are looking to just extend your WiFi signal inside, buying a WiFi extender or WiFi booster can easily solve that problem. Most of them require very little to almost no setup. Basically, this uses some of its antennas to receive the WiFi from your primary router then it uses the other antennas to rebroadcast the signal. 

A lot of extenders also have an ethernet port. It can be used to provide internet access to a PC or other device that cannot connect to WiFi. This ethernet port can also be used to provide an internet connection to the extender itself, which would make it an Access Point. 

• What’s a Mesh Router?

If it has been a while since you upgraded your wireless router then you may want to consider a Mesh Router system. Mesh Routers are fairly simple to set up and can offer the most reliable speed for all of your devices throughout your home. If you are looking for a full coverage wifi network, then a Mesh Router will be best for you.

This would replace your current router and would also provide at least 1 other ‘satellite’ or 'node' that you can position in a different area of your home. These nodes will connect to the primary router using a wireless connection - no ethernet cable required - and can easily increase your WiFi coverage and improve the overall quality of your wireless network.

One feature that is very convenient is that it creates a seamless network. This allows you to walk throughout your home without having to manually switch between WiFi networks to maintain your internet connection. Your device will automatically switch to whatever node it is closest to.

• What's an Access Point?

Another way you can extend your WiFi signal is by using an Access Point or AP. Now, these can require a little more time to set up and you likely have to run an ethernet cable to it from your current router, depending on which one you purchase.

Some can be set up in ‘Repeater’ mode, which is very similar to a WiFi extender. Others can be set up in ‘Access Point’ mode, which will require you to connect an ethernet cable for an internet connection. 

Both will create another Wi-Fi name or SSID (service set identifier) but will still allow devices to communicate with each other as it will still be 1 network. Access Points can offer the most versatility because they are sold with various antenna strengths as well as directions. 

Access Points can also be used to set up a wireless bridge. Basically, this can allow you to use two Access Points to extend a WiFi signal several hundred feet or more, depending on the antenna strength and gain. It is more popular to set this up in a corporate environment rather than a residential one.

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

What is best for me?

When you are looking to extend your WiFi signal, there are few things you will need to consider:

• Are you extending the signal outside or just inside?

WiFi Extenders or Boosters typically do not have strong antennas to boost the signal outside. Extenders and Mesh Systems would be best to boost your WiFi signal inside your home rather than outside.

An Access Point would likely be the best option when looking to extend your WiFi signal outside. You can choose one that best suits the direction and distance you are extending the signal. 

Whether you want the signal to cover a big backyard, or an exterior garage or barn, an Access Point will give you the most reliable connection. These are common in office buildings, warehouses, and large garages.

• Is your priority the WiFi speed, coverage, or both?

For indoor use, Mesh Routers will offer the best overall speed and reliability inside your home. It would be able to provide the most consistent speed while extending your WiFi coverage. 

A WiFi extender is a good indoor solution, however, it may not provide the same speed or reliability as a Mesh Router would. 

Access Points can offer very reliable speed and coverage but I would recommend these mainly for outdoor use. Although, there are some Access Points that can be set up as a node if you already have a Mesh Router.

• Are you comfortable with some network setup, or do you want something that is plug n play?

The simplest device to set up is going to be a WiFi extender. Most will require you to push a button on your router and the extender. It really is that easy.

A Mesh Router and most Access Points will both require some sort of network setup. You would have to access the UI of the router or AP to set up the internet connection. Even though these require you to set up the device, they will also include more features to help with the overall security and bandwidth across your network.

• Are you looking for a complete wireless solution? Or is running an Ethernet cable an option?

If you are looking for a complete wireless solution then I would recommend a WiFi extender. All that is required is a wall outlet. They are very convenient when running an ethernet cable is not an option.

A Mesh Router can be considered a complete wireless solution if you are looking to replace your current router. It would require you to connect an ethernet cable from the base router to the modem and to a wall outlet, of course, for power. However, the 2nd and/or 3rd satellite does not require any ethernet cable.

An Access Point is not always considered a wireless solution as most require you to run an ethernet cable. You can purchase some Access Points and set them up as a WiFi extender, but it might be easier to just get a WiFi extender. 

• What is your budget?

This can easily be the determining factor for some of us. The most inexpensive solution would be a WiFi extender or booster. With that being said they are some very pricey extenders similar to the cost of a low-end Mesh Router.

Based on the products I am recommending, here is a range of the prices:

WiFi Extenders = $29.99 - $119.99

Access Points = $69.99 - $99.99

Mesh Routers = $89.99 - $699.99

As you can see by the range in price, when it comes to Mesh Routers, you’ve got plenty of options. Below, you will see the different products I recommend to see what best suits your needs and budget.

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

Extenders and Repeaters

I recommend these extenders if you are looking for something simple. They will provide the WiFi boost you are looking for at an affordable price.

• TP-LINK AC750 Compact Plug-in Range Extender

• $29.99

• 100 Mbps Ethernet Port

• Up to 433 Mbps over 5GHz

• Can be set up as Extender or AP

• Inexpensive and simple solution.

• TP-Link RE305 AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

• $49.99

• 100 Mbps Ethernet Port

• Up to 867 Mbps over 5GHz

• Affordable - With reliable speeds

• ASUS RP-AC55 Dual-Band AC1200 Wireless Range Extender

• $65.99

• Gigabit Ethernet Port

• Extender mode only

• Good WiFi coverage

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These range extenders are also very easy to set up. These are a better option if you are looking for something that can provide a bit more speed.

• TP-LINK RE450 AC1750 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

• $79.99

• Gigabit Ethernet Port

• Up to 1300 Mbps over 5GHz

• Can be set up as Extender

• A simple, easy solution that can provide Gigabit speeds

• Netgear EX6150-100NAS AC1200 Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

• $119.99

• Gigabit Ethernet Port

• Can be set up as Extender or AP

• Easy setup with the Nighthawk App

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

Mesh Routers

If you have not upgraded your router in a few years, then you may want to consider upgrading to a Mesh router system. This will extend your WiFi signal and can also speed up your network.

• Tenda AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System

• $89.99

• 100 Mbps Ethernet Port

• 3-pack 

• Covers Up to 2,500 sq. feet

• TP-LINK Deco M4 AC1200 Whole Home Mesh WiFi System

• $179.99

• Two Gigabit Ethernet Ports

• Up to 867 Mbps on 5 GHz

• 3-pack

• Covers up to 5,500 sq. feet

• Setup and manage your network with the Deco app.

• TP-LINK Deco M9 Plus AC2200 Smart Home Mesh Wi-Fi System

• $269.99

• Up to 867 Mbps over both 5 GHz

• 2-pack

• Covers Up to 4,500 sq. feet

• Setup and manage your network with the Deco app.

• Linksys VELOP Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System

• $399.99

• Up to 867 Mbps over 5 GHz

• 3-pack 

• Covers Up to 6,000 sq. feet

• Easy setup with the Linksys app.

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited April 2021

High-Speed Mesh Routers

• These Mesh Routers are 802.11ax or WiFi 6, which is the newest wireless standard available in our stores. Even though the newer 802.11ad wireless standard is available, we have yet to see any sort of mass adoption for the 802.11ax wireless standard. If you were to buy one of these routers, you would not have to worry about upgrading for at least a few years. 

• ASUS AX6100 Tri-Band Wireless Mesh Routers - AiMesh Support

• $379.99

• Four Gigabit Ethernet Ports

• Up to 4804 Mbps over 5 GHz

• 2-Pack

• ASUS ZenWiFi Tri-band AX6600 Whole-Home Mesh WiFi 6 System

• $449.99

• Three Gigabit Ethernet Ports

• Up to 4804 Mbps over one 5 GHz

• 2-pack

• This Arris router below is the fastest Mesh system we sell at the time of writing this. The AX11000 is capable of reaching a total speed of 11 Gbps!

• Arris Enterprises SURFboard mAX Pro Mesh WiFi 6 AX11000 System

• $699.99

• Supports Multi-Gig WAN with link aggregation

• Up to 4804 Mbps over both 5 GHz

• 2-pack

• Covers up to 6,000 sq. feet

• Can use the SURFboard mAX™ Manager App for network management.

• NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System (RBK853)
      • $699.99
      • Supports Multi-Gig WAN with link aggregation

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

Access Points

The Access Points I have listed below can be set up either indoor or outdoor. These are best when you are looking to extend your WiFi outside of your home.

• TP-LINK EAP225 V3 AC1350 Wireless Access Point

• $69.99

• One Gigabit Ethernet Port

• POE powered

• Mesh capable

• Easy management with the Omada app

• Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AC Mesh Indoor/Outdoor Access Point

• $94.99

• POE powered

• Works with UniFi Network Controller App

• TP-LINK EAP245 V3 AC1750 Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point

• $99.99

• POE powered

• Up to 1300 Mbps over 5 GHz

• Seamless roaming between router and AP

• Easy management with the Omada app

• TS_JosephF
    TS_JosephF admin
    edited July 2020

Questions or Comments?

As always, we want to encourage you to be a part of these discussions. If you have any questions about anything you see here or if you think we should add something to this guide, please let us know! We will be happy to explain anything more in-depth so you have a good understanding of the products and how they work.

Perhaps you would like to recommend a router or extender that we have not listed here on this guide, please post a comment. We would love to hear your thoughts about it along with your experience with the item. 

Lastly, I hope this guide helps you successfully extend the range of your WiFi and also teaches you the basics of each device. Thank you for reading!

Be sure to check out some more networking articles below!

How to Troubleshoot Network Problems 2020 [Guide]

How to Access and Configure a Router

How to manually set your DNS server
  • I do not know much about wifi, I know enough to be dangerous but I’m not a techy by any means, I have a detached garage about 60-75 feet from my house that I would like to be able to stream tv/ sports pay-per-views to. I have dsl that’s rated at 12mbps I’m in a rural area and I would like to know the best access point to use for this situation and will it help if I have a WiFi extender in the house to supplement the access points connection? Please help!
  • I'd recommend a Mesh system or range extender depending on your current wireless router. 60 feet is quite a long distance, and depending on the impedance of your walls, the signal strength may be reduced and it may not reach. I'd recommend the ASUS range extender if you already have a powerful router. The speed of this extender will exceed your ISP speed but it may provide the signal strength to reach your outbuilding if it's placed on the inside outermost wall of your home assuming that it is able to connect to your home network there.
    Hope this helps!
  • My parents just purchased property out East and their internet is awful. Their router was placed in the garage at install. What is the best way to help them? I’m looking for an all in one, whatever will help maintain a stable connection at the fastest speed available. I’m worried the connection itself is just too bad out there but I’m willing to try anything. 
  • My parents just purchased property out East and their internet is awful. Their router was placed in the garage at install. What is the best way to help them? I’m looking for an all in one, whatever will help maintain a stable connection at the fastest speed available. I’m worried the connection itself is just too bad out there but I’m willing to try anything. 
    What kind of internet speed are they paying for? What kind of speed are they receiving? 
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99