RTX 3000 Series Micro Center Discussion & FAQ!

Comments

• TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment First Answer
    I see so it will be best to just keep the card I have instead of spending the extra money for the 3070? My pc is able to watch 8k videos, I have 16gb ddr4 3200, gtx 1660ti gaming x, m.2 1tb, 650 psu, and a ryzen 5 3600 with a asus B450-F rog strix
    I'd say specifically targeting the 3070 may be a bit much. I assume you bought the 1660ti because it fit within your budget, and the 3070 is just in another budget category. However, what we may see happen is some of the current cards that are more powerful than the 1660ti drop down closer to its current price when the new cards hit the shelves, so I think it's worth it to wait and see what happens there. We can do extensions on returns depending on the situation and as long as it hasn't been too long I imagine it'd probably be okay to do an exchange if that happens. 
  • Oh okay then I recently bought the card 2 days before the new card was released so would it be possible to extend the return once the 3070 comes out? Which is in October or would that be too long of a wait time
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    GPUs have a 30-day return period, so depending on the exact day we may or may not need to actually do an extension. Usually it's not a problem if you're still somewhat close to those 30 days anyway. 
  • So has anyone started putting together a build list for a 3080 card for 1440 gaming?
  • Noob here!
    Recently I purchased a powerspec G434, with an Rtx 2070super.
     If I get a Rtx 3070 or the like, can I simply open the tower and swap the cards?
    Is it possible to use both at the same time? How? 
    Do I need to change anything else like the power supply, etc?

Any info would be appreciated
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @SoL

With the G434, you would be able to upgrade to any of the RTX 3000 series cards. Even the 3090. It'll require an adapter for the custom 12 pin PCIe on these cards, but we expect this adapter will be included with those cards.
  • Ichthus
    Ichthus ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    TSMikeW said:
    @SoL

With the G434, you would be able to upgrade to any of the RTX 3000 series cards. Even the 3090. It'll require an adapter for the custom 12 pin PCIe on these cards, but we expect this adapter will be included with those cards.
    It is, there should be 12-pin adapter included with the video cards per NVIDIA. I'm hoping PSU manufacturers will release their own as well. 
  • Ichthus said:
    TSMikeW said:
    @SoL

It is, there should be 12-pin adapter included with the video cards per NVIDIA. I'm hoping PSU manufacturers will release their own as well. 
    Is it possible to have both in one PC? Or is that redundant?
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    SoL said:
    Ichthus said:
    TSMikeW said:
    @SoL

Not sure what you're asking? Two GPU's? You can, I'd put that money into a higher end card. Check in NVLink: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/nvlink/

As for the 12 pin power connector, I'm sure we'll see as a part of PSU's in the future. Pinout wise it totals two 6 pin PCIe. 6x12v, 6xGround. It has a smaller foot print than 2x6PCIe would. Saves space on the PCB.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    TSMikeW said:
    SoL said:
    Ichthus said:
    TSMikeW said:
    @SoL

Not sure what you're asking? Two GPU's? You can, I'd put that money into a higher end card. Check in NVLink: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/data-center/nvlink/

As for the 12 pin power connector, I'm sure we'll see as a part of PSU's in the future. Pinout wise it totals two 6 pin PCIe. 6x12v, 6xGround. It has a smaller foot print than 2x6PCIe would. Saves space on the PCB.
    NVIDIA trying to push new things as standard as I guess. Now that it's here I'm sure it'll become commonplace over time.

The weird dual 8-pin to 12-pin adapter that they'll be including honestly seems like it's a potential problem point. Adapters like this have always been a little finicky and I'm concerned about potential issues it could cause with some PSUs because of pinout related stuff, or not having a top-tier quality PSU. 
  • @TSTonyV

Thanks for all your helpful info in this thread.

I'm looking to do my best to get my hands on a 3080 ASAP. If you think there's a real chance they'll be physically at the stores on launch day I'll take off work and show up stupid early. 

What's the best way to find out more info? Try to call the store and talk to a manager? It's about a 3 hour drive for me (about an hour from my friend's house), so it's gotta be a pretty good chance.

Thanks.
  • I'm in the exact same boat, going for a 3090 ^^^
    Hoping to pick it up on launch day, will be curious to see how much the 3090s fly off the shelves.
  • I'm content to wait for a 3060 later in the year. Even then I might not buy it straightaway. Brand new PC parts tend to be prone to issues and problems at the outset and need a few months of "settling" into stability. Shoot, I might opt for a 2070 or 2080 if they drop down in price by a lot. I don't need a ton of horsepower for an eventual 3440x1440 monitor, but I'm of the mind that a 3060 will likely hit the sweet spot and be much more efficient than the 2000 series.
  • Waffler said:
    I'm content to wait for a 3060 later in the year. Even then I might not buy it straightaway. Brand new PC parts tend to be prone to issues and problems at the outset and need a few months of "settling" into stability. Shoot, I might opt for a 2070 or 2080 if they drop down in price by a lot. I don't need a ton of horsepower for an eventual 3440x1440 monitor, but I'm of the mind that a 3060 will likely hit the sweet spot and be much more efficient than the 2000 series.
    This is always my approach as well. Any time we get a node shrink or dramatic change in architecture, I wait for the early adopters to report any issues. I bought my 2080 Ti last October which was a solid year after the product launch just to make sure most of the hiccups were ironed out.

I may jump into an RTX 3070 just to get HDMI 2.1 support for 4k 120hz gaming, and upgrade to a 3090 using EVGA's Step Up program. Hopefully by then, any potential supply issues from the high demand will be sorted out.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aronax said:
    @TSTonyV

Thanks for all your helpful info in this thread.

I'm looking to do my best to get my hands on a 3080 ASAP. If you think there's a real chance they'll be physically at the stores on launch day I'll take off work and show up stupid early. 

What's the best way to find out more info? Try to call the store and talk to a manager? It's about a 3 hour drive for me (about an hour from my friend's house), so it's gotta be a pretty good chance.

Thanks.
    I'm in the exact same boat, going for a 3090 ^^^
    Hoping to pick it up on launch day, will be curious to see how much the 3090s fly off the shelves.
    We'll have cards, the question is really how many we'll have, and how many people will show up to get them. 

And one thing to note, the RTX 3090 is actually launching on Sept 24th. The 3080 is launching Sept. 17th. 
  • Green_LED said:
    Ichthus said:
    Yeah, real benchmarks I think are definitely going to be important. The stream showed performance with both Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0 on but there are a ton of games out there that don't support either of those. If we're getting a 2x performance increase even out of those situations, RIP everybody who bought a 2080ti in the last couple months. 
    I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the price was higher than originally thought / what was leaked. I thought 1400 was perfect for a Titan class performance card. Guess I'm going to need to save a bit in these coming weeks. I haven't traditionally followed GPU releases. When should benchmarks be released? After card release date or before?

I've seen some leaked benchmarks for the 3080 here: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks-out
    Which are insanely impressive to me. 

I'd expect benchmarks to be released on release date, or after. Most who have access to the card now are under NDA.
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green_LED said:
    Ichthus said:
    Yeah, real benchmarks I think are definitely going to be important. The stream showed performance with both Ray Tracing and DLSS 2.0 on but there are a ton of games out there that don't support either of those. If we're getting a 2x performance increase even out of those situations, RIP everybody who bought a 2080ti in the last couple months. 
    I'm honestly a bit disappointed that the price was higher than originally thought / what was leaked. I thought 1400 was perfect for a Titan class performance card. Guess I'm going to need to save a bit in these coming weeks. I haven't traditionally followed GPU releases. When should benchmarks be released? After card release date or before?

I've seen some leaked benchmarks for the 3080 here: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks-out
    Which are insanely impressive to me. 

I'd expect benchmarks to be released on release date, or after. Most who have access to the card now are under NDA.
    Yeah, there's definitely going to be a huge rush on launch day for reviews to put all their information out. As always, I'm particularly looking forward to Gamers Nexus testing because they're so incredibly thorough and detailed in their methodology. 
  • I'll be the one to say I'am excited for these new cards and want to get them ON the release date, but im going to be patient with this. There are too many variables that could happen, ie; power consumption/PSU supply & demand, faulty drivers, design flaw/fitment issue. I dont see a downside to waiting a little to confirm everything is running smoothly.

• @Frank718 I think I'll end up doing exactly that... Waiting a little to confirm. I'm interested to see what AIB partners do, especially since NVIDIA is producing the FE card and not a reference card. (At least not that I've seen) I'm still very interested to see what kind of benchmark performance they'll have. The leaks linked above are quite impressive. 😮
  • I wonder what AMD's doing about their "Big Navi" reveal...they've been awfully quiet (except for that bike...wtf?!?)
  • Waffler said:
    I wonder what AMD's doing about their "Big Navi" reveal...they've been awfully quiet (except for that bike...wtf?!?)
    What? You're not a fan of Navi-gation? Ha...

I'm sorry...
  • Will MicroCenter have founders cards or just AiBs ?
  • Will MicroCenter have founders cards or just AiBs ?
    This is the question I'm stuck on as well. Rumor going around is that Best Buy will have FE cards and everyone else will have all the AiB versions.
  • Aronax said:
    Will MicroCenter have founders cards or just AiBs ?
    This is the question I'm stuck on as well. Rumor going around is that Best Buy will have FE cards and everyone else will have all the AiB versions.
    Best Buy going live with those on the 17th as well?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waffler said:
    I wonder what AMD's doing about their "Big Navi" reveal...they've been awfully quiet (except for that bike...wtf?!?)
    What? You're not a fan of Navi-gation? Ha...

I'm sorry...
    Booooooooooo
    Aronax said:
    As far as I'm aware we anticipate having FE cards on release. 
    Aronax said:
    Best Buy going live with those on the 17th as well?
    They should be.
  • Can I simply present my Microcenter card for the 5% discount or do I need to purchase the item with the actual card?
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I simply present my Microcenter card for the 5% discount or do I need to purchase the item with the actual card?
    The purchase has to be made with the Micro Center Credit Card. 
  • So with the recent news from AMD, do you think we will see more people holding out on the 3070/3080 releases? I doubt we'll see much change in the 3090 launch on the 24th but I do imagine we'll (hopefully) see a bit less activity on the launches of the other two.
  • Hi there,
    I went to my local Micro Center yesterday and they told me they are not expecting to get any Founder's Edition cards.  They said that would only be available through Nvidia directly.  I thought this was weird as they are already on Best Buy's website.

Regardless if this is true or not, my question is:  How will we know which cards we will have to select from prior to the doors opening on launch day if we are waiting in line?  I'd rather not show up early in the morning not knowing at all what the selection will be.  Will they be posted on the website, just not available to reserve online?  If so, will that be the day before?....Same day in the morning?...When doors open?

Thank you for any responses!!
  • TSTonyV
    TSTonyV ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    gsmithfcd said:
    Hi there,
    I went to my local Micro Center yesterday and they told me they are not expecting to get any Founder's Edition cards.  They said that would only be available through Nvidia directly.  I thought this was weird as they are already on Best Buy's website.

Regardless if this is true or not, my question is:  How will we know which cards we will have to select from prior to the doors opening on launch day if we are waiting in line?  I'd rather not show up early in the morning not knowing at all what the selection will be.  Will they be posted on the website, just not available to reserve online?  If so, will that be the day before?....Same day in the morning?...When doors open?

Thank you for any responses!!
    The cards should show on the website once we have them in stock, the listings will probably go up that morning. My expectation is they'll be on the website but not available to be reserved initially, but we're still waiting on more details for that. Keep your eye on our website here and we should post an update at some point.
    JerseyXS97 said:
    So with the recent news from AMD, do you think we will see more people holding out on the 3070/3080 releases? I doubt we'll see much change in the 3090 launch on the 24th but I do imagine we'll (hopefully) see a bit less activity on the launches of the other two. 
    I think it's wise to wait and see, if for nothing else than to have more options to choose from, but even with AMD making announcements, I expect we will completely sell out of the new RTX cards on day one. That's just how it goes. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99