Im at the end of my rope here, i have no idea.(usb issues)

I have replaced almost every single part of my new computer. This just started after I got my 3080. I recently built a new computer with the 3080 in mind, my first parts were ASRock b550m pro4, ryzen 5 3600, corsair vengeance 16gb(8x8) and my old gtx 760 and Coolmax cug-950b psu. So after getting the 3080 i hooked my vr up to my now capable desktop and everything was fine did a 2 hour vr stream with no issues.  Than the usb ports started losing thier minds, the towers wernt tracking keyboard and mouse would freeze for a second. and only a reboot would solve. my and many peoples first thoughts were the old psu just cant handle for some reasonall of sudden. went and bought a corsair rm850. same issue i can often do one thing or another but if i try to do two things it all goes to shit. so i think maybe im just overloading the usb controller of the micro so i order the pci usb controller oculuss recommended. same issue. so some suggestions is possibly the mobo was damaged due to old psu. so with that and the fact that micro has limited io i went yesterday and bought b550 auros pro(and a new case to fit) tested everything last night after punching in the new drivers and it worked great for the 20 min i tried. come today to right now and the same thing is happening if i try to have vr and obs open or obs and recording my usb capture card. or even avermedia native software, the usb ports start failing and i have to reboot. Im just completely out of ideas and have no idea what at less that 40% hardware usage my usb ports of all things start crashing

Comments

• with the latest hardware changes and reinstalling old drivers from weeks ago, now seemingly able to isolate the issue to when recording in obs https://youtu.be/rrjMP45W5N4
  • tested as well when recording seemingly anything in obs, whether capture care or pc game capture
  • Hello @ReconnectController

Which OBS are you using?  SLOBS?  or OG OBS?  
  • @TSPhillipT
    i am using slobs, but one thing i tested last night went to bed and tried again right now was i manually went in and set the recoding encoder to be NVENC instead of (Use Stream Encoder) jack the bitrate to the moon(25000 for 1440p60) instead of the 4500 i use for the rescaled 720p60 stream NVENC encoder. and as of a few minute test last night and tonight it seems to have stopped doing it.  I tried asking the obs discord for assistance once i narrowed it down to just them now, but no one ever responded. and just for record keeping when you first helped me on the other one, that usb issue was happening with all kinds of software including the native AVerMedia or not even recording at all.

I would like to double check a few things!  We were originally having issues with USB controllers no matter what the software was.  After a good amount of troubleshooting, you were able to isolate it to SLOBS and switching the encoder to NVENC and cranking up the bitrate has caused this issue to not happen?    Just a bit confused and would like some clarification.  
  • @TSPhillipT
    Your confusion is my situation, the only thing needed to clarify "After a good amount of troubleshooting" equals a new pci usb controller, new 850 watt psu, and new full atx mobo + case. But yeah you summed up my journey so far. Originally everything was great, after a week everything usb started going down the toilet, bunch of parts and time later its isolated to just when recording in slobs. And as it stands for the past 16 hours after reaffirming it should be using nvenc and sextupling the bitrate its not happening.

My best theory is as follows, the original mobo + psu couldn't handle the load of the new gpu + capture + vr properly and broke. After replacing all some weird possibly unrelated and coincidental timing makes some setting in slobs mess up when just recording and not streaming+recording to make its encoder choice not register correctly causing whatever it was to happen. 

To reiterate tho, I am just as confused(and angry) as you are, but that is the current situation as it stands
  • Gotcha!  

I'm assuming you have gone through uninstalling and reinstalling SLOBS?  Have you tried using any other form of broadcast software like the original OBS?  
  • @TSPhillipT
    100% still happening, obs not even open, seems like its when the 3080 is in use potentially, i have a friend that thinks it may the the 3600, something about "lanes"
  • New suspect - Nvidia Broadcast

Have you tried setting your OBS to encode with Software Encoding?  I actually want to see if the issues get worse when doing the Software Encoding as this uses the processor to encode and if it is an issue with the 3600, we should be seeing the issues more severely or frequently.  

What has you suspecting Nvidia Broadcast? 
  • @TSPhillipT
    i was doing a virtual visit in browser, which the issue has never occurred while just using browser. it started happening. and when i was getting ready to stream, i use a program called facerig and that was all i had open and the issue started almost immediately. when i went to the task bar and quit nvidia broadcast the issue ceased almost immediately. i just finished a 1hr+ stream of a pc game while recording at 1440p60 and only had about 3 minor keyboard disconnects when i just had to let go and press w again to move, and the game is in early access so that could just be a bug.
  • Just wanted to add another update that i ran both Prime95 and Furmark for 10 minutes simultaneously and and cpu usage was 100% and gpu was 85-95% and the issue did not occur once. 0 errors and 0 warning on all cores.
  • Ah, I know facerig and the type of streamers that use it!  Pretty into vtubers personally.  

The issues appear to be happening when broadcasting or close to it.  What kind of GPU troubleshooting have you done?  
  • No, its not broadcasting so much as something holding the webcam open or mic in obs case. Because once I closed nvidia broadcast and did the webcam direct in facerig the problem stopped happening. As for gpu testing I've tried furmark as I've said as well as 3dmark and no issues. All signs point to nvidia broadcast being the culprit somehow.
  • @ReconnectController
    Have you done DDU?  Display Driver Uninstaller and uninstalled all the drivers for the GPU then redownload the latest drive?  Here is a guide of needed; https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/2858/how-to-roll-back-or-clean-install-video-card-drivers-in-windows-10
  • @TSPhillipT
    i have and the problem is getting just as again, but oddly only seems to be noticeably affecting the mouse and keyboard

• @ReconnectController

Are there any other USB devices you have tried or has it only been the peripherals that have been messing up?  I feel like we are getting to the point that the 3080 is appearing more and more like the culprit for this issue.  Especially after replacing a good amount of hardware and doing as much software troubleshooting with the GPU as possible.  
  • @TSPhillipT
    not sure what else could be a usb device besides a peripheral. i downloaded a usb analyzer and was able to capture the moment it starts happening, i dont know if this means anything to anyone, but here it is 
    https://i.imgur.com/qOW45ne.png
  • new suspect, usb camera. it never stops working, but if i dont use it(still have face rig open but no camera selected) the problem isnt happening. but i am also in the process of notifying asus just in case i need to do a rma
  • dont think its the camera, i can still trigger it a few ways, but without a doubt nvidia broadcast is almost a on button for it.  here's a video i just made https://youtu.be/ANOScjuyZdA  now whats interesting is the top right usb analyzer. that is plugged in right next to the mouse and keyboard but is completely unaffected
  • gunna go with the nuclear option, as it still is happening(albeit much less frequently since uninstalling broadcast), if that fails i guess the card has to go back to asus
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    PowerSpec_MikeW PowerSpec Engineer
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    @ReconnectController

Did you upgrade from an older video card? Particularly one with a USB C port? 
  • @TSMikeW
    Yes and no. I upgraded from a ancient gtx 760 I was using as a placeholder , no usb ports on that thing, only one hdmi and one display port and two dvi
  • Ok ok ok ok, everything was going good till I tried to export a edited video. And that is where I will perform my next trouble shooting. BUY. MOAR. RAM. Going from 16GB to 32,  will be delivered tomorrow 
  • PowerSpec_MikeW
    @ReconnectController

That should not be a factor. Does your motherboard have one or two USB 3 controllers?
  • @TSMikeW
    I have 3 usb controllers, 2 on the mobo and 1 pci. And I suppose I should have clarified the reason I bought more ram.

Since doing a clean windows install the issue has only occurred once. I was essentially doing stress tests yesterday while reinstalling all my software and setting up all my obs settings while a vr game was running. While exporting a small video, the original issue came back. Every single usb port started disconnecting. I was getting usb disconnection errors in the system tray till it finished. This was repeatable, so I opened my monitoring software and for the first time since all of this, I actually found something, the ram was 100% maxing out when the issue was occuring. So i bought more ram
  • ugh that reset funcction is so bad.

You have a power draw issue. You should check your VCCIO voltages, as well as possibly disable the USBC drivers on the 3080. Reinstall without them. Try doing things with no other usb devices attached; take out any extra cards. Voltage is going somewhere improperly; it's not really maxing out RAM, probably just a memory leak issue; windows can actually handle maxed out RAM fine since that's not unusable ram just paged.

What VR headset do you have? Are you using Link? Sounds identical to usb issues with oculus link.

• PowerSpec_MikeW
    No USB C on the new Nvidia cards. The memory will be an interesting test, but beyond the capacity note what it's running at as well. I assume  your Corsair is running on the XMP profile. You're most likely not going to POST on that profile when you double it. I'd test it baseline at the memory trains to, then test overclocked as well. 
  • Ur right I keep forgetting there's no usbc nv controller on those.

If he's using a Link though, I got those problems even with it disabled. The problems stopped when I got an index literally every issue I had, including buying a usb 3.1 pcie expansion. Link sucks and overdraws so much power it trips my overcurrent protection, + it polls something all fucking day in evntlog. I HATE FACEBOOKULUS

• No oculus link, just good old cv1. But yeah I suspect I'll have to reset the bios. But  like I said this current usb issue is closer related to the very first problem I had over at https://community.microcenter.com/discussion/5150/ever-since-upgrading-to-3080-usb-3-2-ports-acting-weird#latest

Its a little different but yeah it will just be more of a test than a gotcha moment. Its just I had many programs running simultaneously at about 12gb of ram usage for hours with no issues until I went to export a video and that is when I saw the ram maxing out at 100% capacity while every usb port was losing its mind. I will of course report back but this problem like to let me have hope for a few hours before popping my balloon again
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99