AMD RX 6000 Series/Big Navi Keynote Launch Discussion & FAQ (updated)

Comments

• @3080nao wtf! I really hope they don’t try that BS for the AMD release. I won’t stand for it. Hey @LandShark is that even a thing? Or are there employees making sure people aren’t holding spots or letting people cut? 
  • Will there be a designated list master outside every location? 
  • Minato said:
    @3080nao wtf! I really hope they don’t try that BS for the AMD release. I won’t stand for it. Hey @LandShark is that even a thing? Or are there employees making sure people aren’t holding spots or letting people cut? 

Millix said:
    Will there be a designated list master outside every location? 

If my zen3 launch is anything to go by MIcrocenter does not orchestrate line ups outside(why would they?) someone on line started a list and we would do a role call every hour. it will be entirely dependent on the people in line. so if some1 is cutting it'll depend on the people whoa are already in line to deal
  • @bbnn Which MC location did you go to? 
  • Millix said:
    @bbnn Which MC location did you go to? 

im from jersey. around 30 min before opening the manager did hand out vouchers which people can claim within 6 hours
  • Will there be third party cards available on launch day or just exclusively “founders” edition??
  • If we wait outside for vouchers around how early should we go ? 
  • bbnn said:

im from jersey. around 30 min before opening the manager did hand out vouchers which people can claim within 6 hours
    Was that days before or on the day of release? 
  • bbnn
    bbnn ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    Millix said:
    bbnn said:

Was that days before or on the day of release? 
    day of
    ryantam said:
    If we wait outside for vouchers around how early should we go ? 
    word in the street is 6800XT is gonna be low stock, so if you want that you'd have to camp probabaly similar to people who wanted 5900 cpus
    Will there be third party cards available on launch day or just exclusively “founders” edition??
    just 'founders' card from AIBs, custom AIBs coming in 2 weeks later, likely along with the 6900XT
  • Hey everyone, just a quick heads up on my experience with the AMD 5000 launch. Drove by at 10PM and there was already a considerable line. If you are trying to get a 6800XT, you're going to have to go the night before. And probably middle to late evening. If you just want a 6800, I still recommend getting to your store around 0400-0500. At my store, they ended up doing vouchers around 0645 or 0700. You'll only get one voucher per person, so only one card per person. Also, one of the people at the front of the line was making an 'unofficial' list. This isn't allowed based on MC staff. I did notice the line becoming much more congested at the front, as if people were hanging out in their cars. I'm not saying people were saving spots, but as MC employees showed up, the front of the line got more congested. Also, this person with the 'list' was moving people around in the line, much to the frustration of many of us. It was my first time going, so I didn't make a big fuss, but did notify the manager when I picked up my CPU. There should be no list making and you should confirm your # in the line upon arrival, IMO. Also, notify staff if you see people holding spaces for someone who doesn't show up until right before the vouchers. Happy to answer any questions.
  • Will this be available in the Dallas location for instore? 
  • Chaotix said:
    Hey everyone, just a quick heads up on my experience with the AMD 5000 launch. Drove by at 10PM and there was already a considerable line. If you are trying to get a 6800XT, you're going to have to go the night before. And probably middle to late evening. If you just want a 6800, I still recommend getting to your store around 0400-0500. At my store, they ended up doing vouchers around 0645 or 0700. You'll only get one voucher per person, so only one card per person. Also, one of the people at the front of the line was making an 'unofficial' list. This isn't allowed based on MC staff. I did notice the line becoming much more congested at the front, as if people were hanging out in their cars. I'm not saying people were saving spots, but as MC employees showed up, the front of the line got more congested. Also, this person with the 'list' was moving people around in the line, much to the frustration of many of us. It was my first time going, so I didn't make a big fuss, but did notify the manager when I picked up my CPU. There should be no list making and you should confirm your # in the line upon arrival, IMO. Also, notify staff if you see people holding spaces for someone who doesn't show up until right before the vouchers. Happy to answer any questions.
    yeeaaa but which microcenter was this? I went to rtx 3080 launch at mine, Westbury and the line was nowhere near as bad
  • For the 3080 launch, at sharonville, we were lined up camping in the evening the day before launch. Only 4 of us at that time. By the time the store closed there were more than 40 of us. What should have happened, since the line was already well past what they had in stock, was staff should've given out vouchers. Then put up a sign saying that voucher's were already handed out since a line of more than stock amounts had already been formed by the time the store closed and if those people with vouchers did not show up at store opening, they would forfeit their voucher opening up availability in their stead. At that point whoever decided to camp even after would have a chance, or if no one camped, then the early bird gets the worm if a voucher wasn't claimed.
  • @Chaotix what do you think is the latest i could get there to have a chance at getting a 6800xt
  • bloom said:
    @Chaotix what do you think is the latest i could get there to have a chance at getting a 6800xt
    i thought about going at 12 am  but these comments really make me feel like thats not enough :(
  • HAs there even been an official statement that micro center will have cards available? i still haven't seen that confirmed... 
  • Nerd
    Nerd
    First Comment
    edited November 2020
    sorry for the double post
  • @TurtleManBaby me too man i think i might just settle for 1am at this point it’s either that or 3am regardless i know i still have a chance of getting a card and it’s an experience i’ll have look at the 3070 launch it took forever for nvidia to get it right but it worked better than the 3080 launch i think amd should have more stock
  • In Tustin, there's already 12 people in line for the launch. Definitely not willing to stay for three days, so maybe I'll get my hands on it next year
  • Does anyone know what kind of cards they are going to offer? Will it just be the FE edition on Wednesday?
  • @Nicholas123 yeah it will only be the reference cards third party cards will release in a few weeks 
  • In Sharonville the first few people in line kept a record of who showed up when so everyone knew where to line up.   It worked good enough.   People were camping at like 7pm the day before for Ryzen.   I don't think nearly as many people will be interested in the 6800's.   The dudes in front of me and behind me were both planning on getting Nvidia.  However GPU's are much bigger dies and yield way less per wafer.   Not to mention they are way less profitable with jacked up CPU prices.   The rumors are 6800xts will be scarce, but there should be a decent chunk of 6800's.   Similar to Ryzen I would guess, Sharonville (Cincinnati) had no 5950's, 11 5900x's, and right around 50 of the two lower skus.     I got there at 7am and was 34th in line.   I would guess half as many people and lower stock is a safe bet.
  • @Pandemix For Sharonville what time would you say should someone arrive for getting a 6800xt? is 5 am early enough would you think?
  • Anyone going to Overland Park? If so, please post line status when you get there. I am driving  3+ hours to get there and don’t want to waste time/gas if the line is already huge.
  • bloom said:
    @Chaotix what do you think is the latest i could get there to have a chance at getting a 6800xt
    i thought about going at 12 am  but these comments really make me feel like thats not enough :(
    For a 6800XT? It depends on the store, but I would say that since others are stating people are 'already' in line, might not be early enough. I'd be surprised if MC is letting people line up already. That seems odd, but that's IMO.
  • bbnn
    bbnn ✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    unless you're willing to camp out no point really. i live like 20min away from our micro center, and if its gonna be 3080 bad, not even worth it camping out

• bloom said:
    Def recommend the night before. I'm planning on going the night before, I will check my MC's line today, however. Seems odd to me, at least, that MC would let people line up multiple days before. I doubt they want a homeless camp outside their door. 
  • Chaotix said:
    Hey everyone, just a quick heads up on my experience with the AMD 5000 launch. Drove by at 10PM and there was already a considerable line. If you are trying to get a 6800XT, you're going to have to go the night before. And probably middle to late evening. If you just want a 6800, I still recommend getting to your store around 0400-0500. At my store, they ended up doing vouchers around 0645 or 0700. You'll only get one voucher per person, so only one card per person. Also, one of the people at the front of the line was making an 'unofficial' list. This isn't allowed based on MC staff. I did notice the line becoming much more congested at the front, as if people were hanging out in their cars. I'm not saying people were saving spots, but as MC employees showed up, the front of the line got more congested. Also, this person with the 'list' was moving people around in the line, much to the frustration of many of us. It was my first time going, so I didn't make a big fuss, but did notify the manager when I picked up my CPU. There should be no list making and you should confirm your # in the line upon arrival, IMO. Also, notify staff if you see people holding spaces for someone who doesn't show up until right before the vouchers. Happy to answer any questions.
    yeeaaa but which microcenter was this? I went to rtx 3080 launch at mine, Westbury and the line was nowhere near as bad
    I purposely left that information out. But yeah, it is a store that gets a lot of traffic, IMO. Everyone's MMV based on store location, so take what I said with a grain of salt, I guess.
  • hmm true, i can only go off my personal Microcenter store experience. hard to know what will happen, and we will see.
  • @LandShark Is there any way to reserve one? I have a gaming build and all I need is a gpu, and I would really like a 6800 to go with it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99