Join the MicroCenterOfficial Folding@Home Team: #257944

Comments

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Photogenic
    It looks like @MightyMayfield has hit a critical level.
    He has a green-light (overtakes) to the Top100 spot in about two months.
    https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_overtake.php?s=&u=1078128

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @ryau
    As the US is in the throes of the 3rd wave of Covid-19,  if we could get another mention in the MC email newsletter... we could likely snag that Top20 Team producers spot.  There's a lot of GPUs in that chart.  :)   

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    @cine_chris I'll see what I can do

• MightyMayfield
    MightyMayfield ✭✭✭
    First Anniversary 5 Likes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2020
    So, some good news / bad news today.

Circumstances have led me to decommissioning one of my personal 2080ti's and we'll be down roughly 3mPPD from that until I can get another power supply. The good news is that the power supply I have is still good enough to run the newest member of our folding family! From the never ending and always exciting journey that was EVGA's website for weeks, I give you....!

Everyone say hello to Perseverance! I have a habit of naming hardware after space stuff. I also didn't think I was going to find one of these until after the next mars landing in February, so the name works pretty well. But hey, science is science! Going to be doing a little testing before full deployment, including ordering an optimus block for it, but it'll do us proud soon.

As a side note: The newest version of PX1 seems to be bugged with 30XX. Recommend using afterburner until Evga can provide an update.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    I had hoped to pick-up a 3070, but Zeta took care of that. 
    No power 3AM-noon, traffic lights out, roads blocked, no safe way to get to Marrietta.  Did they even open?
    I'm on the EVGA notify lists.
    Maybe a Black Friday event?  After-Xmas sale?  Presidents Day Sale?  
    Perhaps just wait for the 7nm Ti models to be released...

• @MightyMayfield even with the one card failure your still killing it man congratz on craking the 150 mark!!!
    Also MCO is now 42
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Some new faces! 
    2MPPD+=16,  Active Users back over 300, 150+MPPD 
    Our highest week since May!
    Let's keep the train on the track!!!

• ryau said:
    This needs more attention. For those of us who were wondering if all this effort has produced results, yes it has. Congratulations to everyone for doing the right thing.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now we're #41
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Folding@Home:

"COVID Moonshot Sprint 5!
    Sprint 5 to prioritize compounds for the open science patent-free COVID Moonshot drug discovery project has launched! Rev up your GPUs to help develop a new therapy." https://foldingathome.org/2020/11/09/covid-moonshot-sprint-5
  • I sent both of the messages weeks ago. Thanks forum software, lol.
    Power outage last night, hopefully things should get back to normal sometime today.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent both of the messages weeks ago. Thanks forum software, lol.
    Power outage last night, hopefully things should get back to normal sometime today.
    Weird... I removed them... 
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    From F@H:

We invite everyone to join our 20th anniversary Folding@home livestream celebration! We will reminisce about the history of F@h and the science we have achieved so far. Join us on Nov. 18th @ Noon Pacific Time on twitch.tv/foldingathomedotorg

• Not sure if the issue I'm currently having is due to a update for the gpu or windows but for some reason my full tower system when i try to use the advanced control for f@h is crashing out but still foling so thats a plus. Right now the only way that i can control it is to use the laptop to remote manage the tower. I've already tried to unistall and re-install f@h. I just posted on fourm so hopefully someone has had some type of issue like this before to poiint me in the right dirrection to fix what ever it is. Sometime i think updates tend to be like going through the parking lot at Walmart you never know just how bad that speed bump is going to really be.
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Right now the only way that i can control it is to use the laptop to remote manage the tower. I've already tried to unistall and re-install f@h. 
    Not unlike your problem.  I had fresh installs that wouldn't connect. Found that first connecting with the web client would make things work.  My ultimate fix was to load in the Mint Linux disk that I started with in April, both dedicated folders are on LINUX now.  So far, the Linux systems haven't shown any weirdness.  My monitor station 7.6.13 and cine editing station 7.6.20 are both Win10 and have been stable, both with a single GPU.  
    Linux #s:  While the 2060s runs 10% higher than the lar.systems data, the 2070s runs a staggering 27.6% higher than the lar.systems data.  In fact, the avg for the 2070s exceeds the max ever they list.  That's real data logged in HFM, not a subjective guess.  Since 8/30, I've logged 4271 WU.  
    It sure would be nice to add a 3070 or 3080 to the GPU stable.

• cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    Minor Milestone #700 today.

• Going to atempt a complete wipe and reinstall of f@h hopefully that will solve this issue it seems ever since the driver update not everything its folding is counting and can't get into log file to see why keeping fingers crossed.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    5 Likes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2020
    ok so that didn't work and now i've lost remote control from laptop #facepalm. I've posted on F@H fourm and so far no luck with anything that was said to try. I have noticed it all started when Nvidia did a update to the driver but for some reason i can't roll the driver back either. So until I have a fix figured out here I'm hoping that everything is still working the way its supposed to be due to not being able to access the logs or able to use the remote or advanced monitor until its figured out .
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    EXTREMELY IMPORTANT EVERYONE:
    Don't upgrade yopur Nvidia driver from 457.09 to 457.30 there is a issue with it and will wipe out the advanced control part of the F@H program. I found out the hard way. Now the good news is since I have unfortantly gone throught it already and if your now having the same issue there is a way out of the woods. What you will need to do is go on the web site for Nvidia and do a manual search for the previous driver ie: version 457.09 and download it. After downloading make sure all folding is stopped. Now unistall just the graphics driver though the add/remove. It will require a restart, once your system comes back up shuitdown the folding again because its going to start back up like normal and install the previous driver at this point. Yes once again you will need to do a restart, but the good news is as long as you haven't done anything to F@H you will be good to go unlike me whho now has to go back and try to remember ip# and everything else that you setup before for any remote management. If you did reinstall F@H remember to set your ID and team number and passcode back into the F@H client. I hope this helps anyone else that maybe having a issue now or in the future. Oh btw this is for windows 10 operating system almost forgot about that part.
  • Hmm...over a week since I've done a Covid work unit. Didn't get any during Sprint 5. I suppose it's good that other projects are getting some time, but is that because they've got more volunteers than Covid work units or because only more powerful GPUs are getting them?
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭
    @teamtempest
    My dedicated folders are all Covid projects.  It might be atom count as those #s are up significantly.  
    Average for my last 50 WU was 128751, which is higher than previous sprints.

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    I left the office for a couple of days end of last week and saw my PPD were down drastically. Got back into the office today and the machine was shutdown. After some tinkering around it looks like the 2080 has a short, I may have burned it out, oops. It's back running on the 2070 for now. I'll see if I can scrounge something else to replace the 2080... 
  • Ok as a friendly service reminder from a firefighter, Everyone please remember that when overclocking your gear to monitor your temps so you dont start a fire or kill your gear.
  • ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok as a friendly service reminder from a firefighter, Everyone please remember that when overclocking your gear to monitor your temps so you dont start a fire or kill your gear.
    I was running it stock and temps were ok, it was an older test card we had, so who knows what it had gone through before I started using it. I definitely agree with you, safety first.
  • kmiller922
    kmiller922 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    ryau said:
    I was running it stock and temps were ok, it was an older test card we had, so who knows what it had gone through before I started using it. I definitely agree with you, safety first.
    Honestly I wasn't reffering not to you so much as one of the house fire calls I was recently at happened to be someone with a bitcoin minning rig and the person in question had the system extremely overclocked with a 8 gpu system that was open air. Besides lets be honest we all want to try to get this bug out of all of our hairs as fast as we can. It just seemed like it was the right time to say a friendly community service reminder to all so no one else trys to make computer KFC. 
  • cine_chris
    cine_chris ✭✭✭✭

Top 40 FAH teams!!

• ryau
    ryau ✭✭✭✭✭

Top 40 FAH teams!!

We're only 2 spots behind Pande Lab!

• So I just saw a something on the news that's been going on very quietly with all the hubbub of the Pfizer and Mederna vaccines. The Trial that Temple University is working on is now going into stage 3 here in the Philadelphia region. This will bring it to 3 or 4 now that are fully in stage 3 trials with 2 that already are seeking emergency deployment. Not to many details are out as of yet from Temple U. but as they come out here locally I'll pass them along. Temple U's vaccine trial's research a large part of it has been done through the folding for those who don't watch the info on the wu that we fold. This is some great news and there's still many more vaccines and treamtments that are still beiung simulated. Let's keep up the great work everyone. One day I think it's going to be a little while yet but we will beat this back and out of our lives for good.
We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99