Resolving Address Verification Issues Online

For security and accuracy, we require that the billing address entered matches with the one on file with your bank. We apologize if you experience any issues when placing an order online. In the event you get an error message, here are just a few things you can try when placing your order:

1) Spell out any numbers on addresses where the street name is a number. Examples:

• 3rd Street -> Third Street
  • 123rd St -> One Hundred Twenty Third Street

2) Only enter the Suite/Apartment Number for the shipping address. Do not enter it under the Billing Address. You will have to check the box next to Yes! My Shipping Address is different than my Billing Address. Then enter the entire address including the Unit or Apartment number in the Shipping Address area below.

If you are still encountering issues, and this is an Online Order to be Shipped, please contact our MCOL team at 614-850-3675; option 3 and the order can be placed over the phone.

If you are still encountering issues and this is an In-Store Pick Up, I highly recommend coming to the store without the reservation to purchase the item off the shelf.

Comments

• please undo this, this is customer dis-services as none of the suggestion work for the online form, only option is calling in an order now.   No store close to me, please find a better solution
  • Hi, I am literally copying and pasting the address from my online banking account and am still receiving this error.
    I was hoping to use Micro Center as my standard supply of PLA filament and I don't want to have to call a representative every time I need a refill.
  • tried your method above ^, but it forces me to add entries to the shipping address.
  • Found a workaround.
    I just entered my billing address without the unit.
    However, on the shipping address, I added the unit on the same line as my street address.
  • @kickwriteteach and @haightc - We appreciate your feedback. Whenever you have to call to place the order over the phone, we notify our IT department of the issue. We are working to get all of these issues resolved for everyone.

@Beenardino
    Thanks for the comment! We will look into this and see if the article needs an update.

• This didn't work for the first three times but I did exactly what was posted and it worked by following out the first thing of spelling out the street address. I took out the unit for the billing and placed it in the shipping address and it worked on the fourth try.  Follow this directly and it should work.
  • This would be a joke, if it were even remotely amusing.  230th Ave does not work and your system says Two Hundred Thirtieth Avenue is an invalid address.  This problem is over a month old at this point.
  • Ok, so what I did was;
    Billing Info
    First Name Last Name
    1234 Sesame Ave
    City, State Zip
    Phone #
    Email

Shipping Address
    First Name Last Name
    1234 Sesame Ave
    Unit A123
    City, State, Zip

This worked for me.
  • This issue is several months old at this point, and I can't get around it in February 2021. I tried spelling out the street address, and the transaction was declined by my card. Having your system discourage online orders seems like a quick way to join the likes of Modell's in bankruptcy.

• Sorry to hear that you're still having this issue after trying the steps above. Please contact us directly at 614-850-3675 press option 3

We'd be happy to take your information to better adjust the verification system and assist you with placing the order.

• I was shocked to see the suggested "workaround" for resolving rejections of Billing Address. While omitting the Apt or Suite number from the Billing Address "works" temporarily for allowing an online order to be placed, it is absurd that one would have to actually put an incomplete/false "Billing Address" to get resolution (probably through the USPS database????); it is NOT my actual Billing Address. Please FIX THIS NONSENSICAL online ordering impediment! It is absurd. People should be able to state their complete, accurate Billing Address.

• Thank you for your feedback @LuAnn, I am sorry this is affecting you as well. We are actively trying to improve the system. We will continue to pass up all feedback we receive so our team is aware of what's working and what's not.

• I think a good way to do that might be to give customers credit for probably knowing where they live, and allowing them to override the failed verification.

Speaking of which, here's a problem I had a while ago that has prevented me from ordering anything online from Micro Center except a few things you sell through Amazon. Bear with me because this is a bit confusing. It also happened a few years ago so maybe things have changed.

I live in a place where we don't have carrier route mail delivery. Everyone has a PO box. Mail sent to the physical address may or may not make it to the customer; so USPS AVS corrects the physical address to the resident's PO box.

UPS and FedEx, however, do deliver to the physical addresses and don't deliver to PO boxes. So what happened the one time I tried to place an order on your site was that I entered my physical address as the delivery address, your system (presumably using USPS AVS) converted it to the PO box, and then wouldn't accept the order because [presumably] you use UPS or FedEx.

Again, it gets down to your system believing that it knows where I live better than I do, and being wrong. So allow the customer to override it. I know where I live. I haven't come home to the wrong house yet, and I'm pretty old. So when your system vomits on my address, let me override it.

Another thing you (and all online merchants) need to do is tell the customer what delivery service you use (or better yet, let the customer choose). If I know a vendor uses USPS, I enter the PO box. If I know they don't, I enter the physical address. If I have a choice, I usually choose USPS unless it's something like lithium batteries that can't travel as freight on passenger airlines.

But if I don't know how the company ships and don't have a choice, then I have to guess, and also hope that the company isn't using USPS to verify for UPS or FedEx deliveries, which will always -- ALWAYS -- fail. USPS will correct the physical address to the PO box, causing non-USPS delivery services to vomit.

Yet again, a simple solution is to allow the customer to override any AVS errors. We know where we live. Also, don't use USPS verification except when shipping by USPS. That would solve a lot of your problems.

As for the credit cards, I've been running credit cards for more than 22 years and have never entered more than the card number, expiration date, ZIP code, and CVV. That's all my billing system asks for, and it's all I enter when doing manual entries on the virtual terminal. I've done it this way with US Merchant Systems, Authorize.net, Square, and PayPal. Why you need more information than that is a mystery to me.

Your nearest store is about two hours from me, so it's a bit of a hassle to make the trip. I'm also not thrilled about having to wear a mask now that I'm fully-vaccinated. The combination of the two has led to my ordering stuff from other vendors who will ship wherever I tell them to, using whatever method I like (or at least telling me how they ship), without questioning whether I know where I live.

That's business you could have had. I'd rather order from you, being a 20+ year loyal customer. But you're making that very, very hard for me to do.

• I don't live in an apartment or a numbered street and I've been blocked from purchasing anything for the past few months due to failures to verify my billing address. I've checked my address character for character from an online credit card statement. I'm at a bit of a loss at this point. I tried calling once but it was toward the end of operating hours and I got disconnected after 15 minutes on hold when the phone lines cut off for the day.

At that point I was sort of struck by the absurdity of putting in so much effort to buy something from a business and didn't really try again.

• I had similar issues. my address had not been able to be verified.  

I changed "highway" to an abreiviated HWY and told it to just accept the address when asked to use thier suggested address that would not be verified when I tried checking out.  it seemed to take.

Problem I have now, I never received any confirmation, no charge has been made, I tried buying again 6 days later, same thing.  Looks like the order successfully placed, but no verifying email or charge to my check account.

Makes it hard to avoid going thru Amazon when simple online transactions become not so simple.

• I do apologize for the trouble, if your order is not processing I'd suggest getting in contact with our online sales team directly at 614-850-3675 option #3.

• This doesn't work! tried the chat and there was no help. This needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to wait on hold for god knows how long to have someone help me place the order over the phone. I online order stuff all the time and I have NEVER had as much trouble as I am this last week trying to get a Download only Internet security. This is not right and putting your customers and especially one who buys your products religiously ( been a customer for 7 years) through this headache is really unreasonable. Seems like it's been well over a year that this seems to be a problem and there is still no solution besides calling the support line. YOur hold music sucks and is really annoying and triggering my headaches. Fix your Stuff microcenter.

• Gotta agree with jackis91 here, the system is terrible and you should do something about it.

• seajack
    seajack
    First Comment
    edited January 2022

I am unable to place an online order that is failing with the same message as others have experienced. I have tried to place the order with 3 different cards, 2 of which have different billing addresses. I've been on hold with the phone number someone mentioned above for 30 minutes. I called my local microcenter and they told me to just come into the store to place the order. The problem is that it is a custom build PC order. I don't want to have to relay all of the part information to someone, and I also don't want to make what would end up being 4 trip to Microcenter. Can anyone from Microcenter help me?

Edit: after 47 minutes on hold, the call disconnected. What an absolute joke this is.

• Jumping in to confirm this is still an issue. Wanted to order online, got this error. Was told by support chat to call the number above.

30+ minutes on hold, no answer. Super fun, too, to hear the dumb voice line saying 'We're busy, we can't answer right now, but we might answer soon!' over and over again. Hold music is enough when on hold, that way your customers can turn down the volume and do something else while listening for someone talking. When you have a canned voice line repeating itself every 15 seconds, your customers have to listen closely the ENTIRE time, or else they might miss the rep picking up and waste an hour of their life.

Kinda pathetic. You know a business is doing well when they can't take orders from customers wanting to spend $1,000+!

• mjwallin47
    edited March 2022

Micro Center has the world's worst online entry system. No doubt you have heard this before. I guess I will have to take my business elsewhere. When you fix the following problem let me know:

• We’re having trouble registering this mobile number. For the security of your Micro Center account, please try another mobile number from a major US phone carrier that is not a prepaid, Internet, or VoIP phone number

My number with COMCAST.NET and has been for about 20 years. If that is not meeting your requirements, I suggest you get a new system.

• After at least a dozen attempts, trying every possible way to spell my address/street number/apartment number etc., attempting all of the above discussed methods, your system cannot accept my address. Also, it clears my cart after a few denied attempts, causing me to have to manually find and re-add everything to my cart from a large order. After spending 30 minutes trying to get you to take my money and getting nowhere, I was so frustrated that I bothered to write a comment on this post. The same issue happened to me a few months ago trying to buy something else online from microcenter. Clearly this has been a problem for at least a few years, it's frankly ridiculous. I love microcenter as a store, but since you seemingly cannot accept my billing address in any form, I have no choice but to take my business elsewhere. Shame that such a STEM focused company can't figure out a billing address.

• OK I've been trying to order drives for a couple days now and couldn't use chat because the online support is offline. So I finally looked here and found this old thread. Now I get that you can't fix payments but can you at least put a note on the order page, or at least on the error message to let customers know about the problem and suggested workarounds?

Also if you reply to my message, please explain what benefit Microcenter actually get by wasting your customers' time like this. Would you actually lose money on online orders? That would explain why you make it such a challenge.

We love seeing what our customers build

Submit photos and a description of your PC to our build showcase

Submit Now
Looking for a little inspiration?

See other custom PC builds and get some ideas for what can be done

View Build Showcase

SAME DAY CUSTOM BUILD SERVICE

If You Can Dream it, We Can Build it.

Services starting at $149.99